Philosophy Value's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nightmare, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

How Does individual become so deterorated and desperate that value's in life hold no ground no more.

When a person values a material possession more than a persons life has that person lost sight of all value's?

When a civilization losses sight of it's values or it's grip on it then does that infact mean that the civilization has lost it's foundation and is crumbling under it's own weight? Example can be tooken in the Dome in Katrina panic and all hell broke loose when thier lives in danger and lost sight of thier value's they turned on each other. When Rome slowly yet surly diminished it's Family ties and value's it eventually lost it's supreme state and died out as a result of.

Why do values hold so much of our instincts togethor yet can be shattered as easy as a heart?

2. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Easy answer. We're human.

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I'm worth an I-Pod Video and a burger at McDonalds :p

Just kidding fellas!

But yes, there's some idiots that don't value.

But then there's cases.

For instance, if someone were to kill someone dear to me, I'd take certain revenge (under certain cirscumntances). FullMetal Alchemist taught me better, but we're all human, we're made to sin.

In the words of FMA!

A life is not equal a life; Nothing could ever be equal to a life

Though we're braking the rules by being so blind.

This is actually a great topic!^^

-Seishin

4. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

Many people hold on to their values because that's one of the most important things to them. Their values direct their lives and keep them on the right path. Then there are those individuals who would sell their values for, oh lets say, "an I-Pod Video and a burger at McDonalds." Some people just don't care and others do.

5. Alchemy_Dude

Alchemy_Dude is addicted to bad ideas.

A person's values (and how they hold on to them) define who they are as a human being. Plus, it's all relative. I might uphold the value of having a good time, you might just call me frivolous and not serious enough.

6. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

My thoughts, doesn't mean Im right ot anything: It might depend on how thick the wall is around your heart, it might not shatter easily but do you ever put it in a situation were it can? I think thats just the way everything is, something has huge importance to the individual, and so easily it is taken from them.

Value alone does not hold up our societys, our organizations, or lives; because value cannot exist by itself. Like friendship with out loss, and love without doubt. It's not always so bad like that. Value needs a bridge, a stick to prop it up. It needs a will to back it up even if proven wrong, or denied, you need confidence to follow it. And determination to keep it. The shattering depends on your self-worth and principles (values themselfs). Maybe. ^^

-ashika

7. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

Values, Morals, right/wrong...these are all relative terms. All people are different and have different beliefs and values. What is wrong for some is right for others. A lot of it has to do with what culture people are brought up in, what types of people they are brought up by, Abuse, and/or the media. Though not directly said aloud, the media tends to imply that we need material goods more than other people. Many people in society accept this to an extent. Some take it too far. It's sad but it's true. We wouldn't have wars, arguements or these types of threads if there was one definition of values between people and nations.

As many have said before, we are human and being human means being greedy. Everyone is greedy to some extent or another. The difference comes when one acts on that greed. Acting on greed can lead to corruption and corruption leads to the loss of values. This is most apparent in instances where larger issues are brought to light.

8. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Like good and evil, what is a value in life to you may not be one to them. Silly to think we all value the same thing.

Silly to ask this when it's been asked before in fewer words.

9. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

I agree, a person's value system is shaped by many things. A part may be innate but then again outside influences and examples made to us are a big part of that as well. If a person is taught from a young age to place value on things many may consider unwise is it really that person's fault? Can one really cast blame when so many have begun to grow up with so many things that many may consider to be morally wrong yet they are taught to believe it's justified to do so? Just some words to ponder.