Computers Video Cards..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by KaMeKaZi, Feb 26, 2003.

1. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Whats the best video card on the market to go with at the moment..

Your thoughts??

KaME

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I was thinking this would be that limited-in-release GeForce FX. Came with its own heatsink and takes up two slots. I saw example screen shots of the monster...and I really liked what I saw.

There's also the 128 MB GeForce 4. I forgot the rest of the specs, but that's what I was planning on getting...that is, if I can't find the FX out anywhere for sale had I the money.

Ark and the rest would probably answer you better.

3. Slydice

Slydice ave, Lex, morituri te salutamus

As regards GeForce cards,

If your getting a GeForce 4

make sure it's a Titanium (Ti will be in it's name) and not a MX

if you buy an MX it's the same as buying a GeForce 2, thats how crap they are.

There's a reason MX cards are really cheap, and thats cos they ain't great.

I know this from looking at the performances of both type of Gfx cards on different machines with different games.

(yes this also means, rendering artwork would take longer with a MX than it would with a Titanium)

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

cool, this will help me to figure out which new vid card to get...mine's in rebellion...but that just cause it's a voodoo 3...

what's a good one at a pretty good price? anyone had one that worked really good for them and not try and kill them thru visuals?

5. Slydice

Slydice ave, Lex, morituri te salutamus

Do you live in europe?

I could recommend a few internet stores here if you do.

6. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

unfortunatly no...i live in a vast expanse of (technically because of the amount of precipitation) desert in the states...north dakota...don't let the trees and green stuff fool you...we'll kill your a$$. lol
    but hey, any suggestion that leads to a suggestion is cool too.

7. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

I know a few good stores in the US, of prime note would be CompGeeks. You have to be fairly careful with thier site though, a lot of what the sell is refurbished... but thier prices are very very good, even on no-refurb stuff, and they have good customer support.

NewEgg is supposed to be very good too, but they're a bit more expensive and I've never personally dealth with them.

Oh, and for what it's worth, don't deal with a company called Tech Savings. They're about the slowest company to ship things out that I've ever dealt with.

----

On the original topic, the GeForce MX line is actually a really good deal, yes, it is not as fast as the TI lines, but the performance in most games is very decent. It won't push 100 fps in anything, but for any game on the market right now, it works fine ;) My GF4MX440 handles Unreal 2 at stock install settings fine, and up until I turn details up to obscene it is very very happy. After that, it gets a bit choppy pretty fast, but for the casual gamer, the MX line is a great deal, 1/3rd the price for about 70% of the performance of the TI line.

----

Oh, and rendering doesn't usually involve the gpu, to the best of my knowledge, it's all processor speed, type, and amount of ram available, as the graphics cards are not made to handle the calculations rendering programs want them to make. It is possible that I'm wrong, but my computer with it's AthlonXP 1900+ and GF4MX440 renders faster than my friends AthlonXP 1500+ with a Radeon 9700. One of these days I might actually sit down and do a speed comparison, I have a couple gfx cards sitting around that I can swap and try out.. :)

- Ark

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

For CAD
    either
    nVIDIA Quadro FX or the ATI FireGL 9700

For games

anything higher than a nVIDIA GeForce 3
    or an ATI Radeon 8500

you can unlock more performance and quality and features
    on an nVIDIA card with the program called the RivaTuner

www.guru3d.com

9. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

i was wondering if anyone knows.
    some guy at my school said that "the x-box video card is the best, even better than any availible on pc."
    thats is complete and utter bullshit, am i right?

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yes.