Multimedia video codec problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by seraphinx, Nov 5, 2004.

1. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I was about to play a video file when I get this pop-up saying that my video codec's trial period ended. (the Morgan Multimedia one) So I can't play any vid files anymore. I searched around and found some free codecs (ffdshow and divx 5.21), but after installing them, I can't play any video files in any of my video player programs. In fact, the player just crashes each time. And thumbnails of my vid files don't show up anymore in my folders.

How can I fix this? Where do I go to manually check to see which codecs are working? And ss there a way to fix all this up without having to restart my computer? (cuz I'm currently downloading some torrents :dizzy2: )

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Easiest thing as far as I am concerned is to...

Uninstall all the codecs.
    Install the Kazaa Lite codec pack.
    Install VideoLAN Client.
    Enjoy video.

BTW, I've never heard of the Morgan Multimedia codec. What's it like? Most stuff these days is encoded in divx, wmv, mov and such... unless MM converted everything I don't know how it would work.

3. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Me too, I never heard of Morgan Multimedia, but it's still around: http://www.morgan-multimedia.com

I tried the KLite Codec Pack, and it worked! Thanks. And VLA is pretty good too, just that it's a lil choppy with some files.

However, now I can't play DVDs properly. There's audio, but the picture is completely scrambled and/or miscolored. I installed the DVD codec too that was in the codec pack, but I guess it wasn't enough.

4. DrainReaper

DrainReaper New Member

i would uninstall divx and make sure all of the files are of your computer then reinstall it .It worked for me and if you have windows xp use the system restore under system tools

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Well as far as DVD playback goes, that I'm not too sure of. I've never had DVD problems like that before... oh well, just install your dvd playing software and it should be fine.