Computers Video Codecs

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sebastien, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Umm Hi.. I have a problem, I can see but can't hear, I know it has to do with the video codecs so that's why I need a program with them all.. I did get Nimo Codec Pack before formatting from this site but.. It doesnt work anymore, and the other places where I get Nimo I install it but it doesnt change a thing.. HELP!

Sorcyness

2. Kirei na kimyou

Kirei na kimyou New Member

Ehhh, don't you just need DivX? Most videos are encoded with it...
    You could get it at http://www.divx.com

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

If you're trying Nimo, download the newer fddshow codec (or was it ffdshow?) Do try to just download the Litepack, as the full service one just has stuff you don't really need. There's Build 10 out.

There's also a new Divx codec, 5.2, I believe. If it's just sound, try using the DivX Player. That usually cures my ails. Comes free with the codec too.

And it's nost "just" divx. There's a lot of codecs out there. Nimo usually has the newer divx *and* xvid codecs anyway. If it were *just* divx, I'd have a few more megabytes of space in the comp to use. ^_^

4. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Try Downloading DiVX, nimo codec, Bsplayer and intel Codec...thats what i have, and it works fer meh..

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It may be more effort to get the individual codecs, but I'd advise against Nimo. It can cause a lot of problems with videos, and many popular recent games even specifically tell you to uninstall it before installing their software.

The most common codecs you'll need are:
    1) DivX www.divx.com
    2) XviD www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xvid.cfm
    3) Windows Media Codecs http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp (download the codecs installation package)

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

He figgered out the problem. The file was corrupt, because I had him test out different .wmv files, which is is the filetype he was trying to view in the first place.

Amen to the last minute idea: "If it doesn't work, it's corrupt."

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

That wouldn't for sure mean it was corrupted. After all, until I upgraded my windows media codecs a bit back, there were a few wmvs that I couldn't open, but some I could. After the upgrade, I could open both.

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, we tried Nimo Lite Pack 10, the unupdated fddshow, DivX2.0, etc. AND Micosoft's Codec pack. None worked. And I believe that I have the file that he has, and we both have Windows XP and I play it fine. So, you think it could be something else? Unless there's a difference in codecs for Professional and Home Edition, which I doubt.

Meh, I just suggested a redownload of the file in question. Hopefully, it's good.

9. CuLT

CuLT New Member

Just a bit of advice for future installs...

Using Nimo is like opening up your box, vomitting into it, sealing it back up and turning the power on.

Install the codecs SEPERATELY. At least you know whats on your computer then. None of that Nimo tripe.

WMA problems are almost ALWAYS to do with corrupted files. However, Windows recently released their latest batch of Media Player 9 components, you may need to update the codecs to the latest version. I hate to do it but I suggest Windows Update.

Any other codec problems drop me a line, I've had quite a bit of experience encoding, decoding, transcoding, you name it :).

10. Kirei na kimyou

Most movies are divx encoded. Truth to be told, i haven't seen any other codecs used to encode movies.:dizzy2:

11. Kairo

Kairo New Member

You obviously don't have alot of experience with movie files then, do you? :p

Here's a handy little program for finding information on your video files. It names the audio and video codecs used by the .avi, and also gives other useful information like resolution, fps etc. :)

I'll give a link to a download page, rather than have you go through the embarassment of searching for it. You'll know when you see the name. :D

http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/11/2/7/11-2-7-12.shtml

12. Kirei na kimyou

Uhh thanks...I guess.
    But I suppose I don't need it quite rite now...

13. CuLT

CuLT New Member

I dont want to load that flash into (56k) but I assume the link is meant to go to BSPlayer?

If not, then it should :).

And yeah, DivX was the most popular a few years back, but better codecs have come out since then :rolleyes: .

DivX is just the easiest to use because there's loads of easy-to-use GUIs for the syuff out there.

14. Kairo

Kairo New Member

Nah..it's a tiny little program called gSpot.