Computers video convertion

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dawnofdark, Aug 20, 2004.

1. dawnofdark

dawnofdark New Member

since rm takes up less space and may have better quility than wmv or avi, and avi is the only thing that can be used to be made in to a vcd i was wonder is there any software(freeware hopefully) that can covert avi or wmv in to a rm or rmvb file or vise-versa :confused:

2. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

anything to RM? that's a hard one...
    ever considered using XviD and virtualbud?
    go to multimedia ;)

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

The main reason AVI's or WMV's get bad quality is usually lack of experience by the coder. Like _NOT_ using 2 pass encodings on divx.

I tested XVid recently and man, it rocked. For _EXCELLENT_ quality I recommend 650kbps. For still very good quality, 450 or 500kbps will suffice.

The reason for this is XVid's enhanced capabilities and analysis. For example, it supports global motion compensation, using three "warp points". DivX (pro) supports at most one warp point. Whatever a warp point is (and I don't know :sweat2: ), that means much more precision when encoding.

Notice that anime chapters are usually encoded at 800 or 900kbps. On XVid this is truly a superb quality, even at 480x360 resolution.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

...not discounting the bitrate your material was encoded in, as well as the quality of the source and capture, naturally, correct?

As weaver was saying, size and quality varies with the encoders' preferences. You can get an AVI of equal file size to RM that is of nicer quality, just as easily as you could get one that is horrible. Some codec reading is here, if you're interested.

AVIs can be made with a growing list of different compression techniques, the most popular two at present time being what weaver listed - DivX and XviD.

Strike that, erase it. Rather, replace "avi" with "MPEG".

Not sure of any freeware...I know there's a few commercial products. This one, for instance. It's got a shareware version for download, I believe. Can't say how functional it is, though - I refuse to touch RM with anything less than a ten foot pole anymore. ^^

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

well, I'm an pro encoder with XviD now...
    I can make perfect episodes of SMJ for mentioning one
    512x384 @ 30fps at some 60~50MBs (20~22minutes)

6. dawnofdark

dawnofdark New Member

software

i'm currently trying a software called eo video it works great to convert rm into avi,wmv,mpeg, but it's slow and the quility is questionable.. but it's great to try since it supports and converts rmvb and hopefully it won't burn a hole too big in ur wallet

7. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Good to have suck I thing. I (unfortunately) have a lot of stuff in realmedia.. I used to convert it over to make into VCDs with snagit and totalrecorder, muxing the streams together. PITA. Something that does it for me would be cool.

Why on earth anyone would want to convert to RM is beyond me though ;)

8. dawnofdark

dawnofdark New Member

why

since the vcd is not a dvd so space is limited .. about 700 mb.. that's only about three ep a cd... so it's takes alot of cd's to make series when it comes to rm i can fit over 15 in a cd.. which is pretty good that's why i'm looking for a thing to convert avi into rm