Anime [Vireyda's Woolgathering] Anime: School Rumble 1

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Bijin, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Bijin

Bijin boards.jp Bot

Fansubber: - (Dash Fansubs)OP: スクランブル (Scramble)" by Yui Horie with UNSCANDALDisgustingly cute and perky. It fits Tenma so well and really evokes reverse Ranma effect of the show. :) The refrain of twirling really sticks to my head although the rest of the song is frankly and thankfully (oo rhymes) forgettable.ED: オンナã®ã‚³ オトコã®ã‚³" by Yuko OguraThe childlike voice is undescribably cute. The fanservicey shots of all the female cast is very amusing esp paired with the chibi Harima ;) Again, another chorus, this time of Ra-ra's (la-la's) that drives me insane. I'll probably be fastforwarding through both OP and ED for the rest of this series ;P There's only so much sugar one can take :)This was one of the titles I was awaiting for the fall season as I'd just recently gotten into the manga (currently seventy chapters scanlated by Manga Inc). It's a really cute, hilarious series of love hijinks between a cast of about 4 boys and 4 girls (yeah, the pairings abound here :p). Either which way, the highpoint of the series is the clueless main female and male characters (both eternally doofy but so loveable) and their antics as they try to profess the glorious love of their youth to their respective crushes. Obviously the clueless female (Tsukamoto Tenma) loves a cool, intelligent guy (Karasuma) in her high school class who has no idea it seems that she exists (or any other female for that matter - the man's a wooden stick). And then there's the clueless male lead - delinquent extraordinaire Harima Kenji who's been changed by the power of "ai" (Yay! More Seiji, Ichigo, Onizuka type characters! Can't get enough of cool, kindhearted thugs :)Having read the manga, it was awesome seeing it animated. I laughed even harder (Dash has some nice translation notes but be prepared to hit pause to read em. I'm a fast reader but damn!)The biggest strength of this series is much like Ranma or Inuyasha (School Rumble is by Kobayashi Jin though and not Rumiko Takahashi) in that it posseses a wonderfully, eclectic array of well designed characters each with cute quirks and interactions as they pursue their love interest (or interests in some cases) of choice :) The constant onslaught of jokes, puns, kanji jokes (Woo!), and references (Initial D!!!!!!!) will leave one tittering madly.For the first episode, we covered the first few chapters but haven't fully introduced the full cast yet due to the early chapter concentration on Tenma. Later in the manga, the focal point of the story focuses more on Harima and his "love-quest" instead (a wise choice). After rolling a few times due to the hijinks of the first episode (HAHAHAHA, Initial D.. Sorry that's still killing me), I'm eagerly awaiting the introduction of the rest of this crazy cast of characters. :)On a fansub note, the font is rather pleasing to the eyes and nice. The karaoke is nicely done as well including both romaji and translation (as well as one of the most traditional follow-along effect for the OP but not the ED). Some of the timing is slightly off, especially with some of the later notes, but not terribly noticable. Nice work from a cutely named almost-one-man-group :)

Click here to read this story
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/vireyda/33316.html