Movies War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by me_dreaming_zzz, Jul 2, 2005.

1. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

"War of the Worlds" movie, have anyone seen it? Is it any good? It just came out in cinemas here in Australia, so im wondering should i watch it or not? Is it scary?

2. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Yes. And (I'm sorry to say that) It was very dissapointing. Like a wannabe Independece Day, but without the good stuff. I asked a person next to me after the movie ended "Are you sure Spielberg did this?". Never thought even HE would do such a movie, but i guess i was proved wrong....

The only thing that savors this movie by a bit is the good acting, and the super awsome special effects.

-Seishin

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You know Indepedance Day was basically a War of the Worlds wannabe, right?

4. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

But I think Independence Day at least had better humour than the current War of the World.
    Maybe it was just me, but the movie seemed a bit dull in its non-destruction scenes.

However, Dakota and Cruise played their roles well and I congratulate them both. They're probably a part of the movie kept me in my seat to watch the rest of the film.
    The action was the rest.

- Kayion

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

"WELCOME TA URF!"

I never found the "humour" in Independance Day too funny.

For those who dislike 2 sentence reviews, here is a goon-written review from Something Awful.

6. Hacker

Hacker ~Richie Rich~

i don't see how you can make humour in a movie like that. "Oh the world is about to turn into a big heaping pile of **** let's laugh about it." <---that didn't cover it for me.

i like action movies, but not this one...don't get me wrong, it's okay. i don't think i have seen a good action movie since, Mission Impossible 3, and that's kinda sad........

so i give War of The Worlds, a 2 out of 5.

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Why only 2 out of 5? A good review is indepth as to why you didn't like it; what you felt it's flaws were.

8. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

I didn't like it too much, but it wasn't that bad.

Now believe me, I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but I was a bit...confused that (spoiler?) Boston was seemingly untouched at the end. And that Robbie made it back OK.

I thought the part with the crazy guy (Tim Robbins, I believe) was the best, because he was crazy.

Not my blood!

9. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I just got back from seeing this movie and i have to say that i loved nearly every bit of it apart from the end, but i don't think thats really Speilburgs fault since that was the ending that H.G. Wells wrote (i think). I loved the special effects and i kinda felt something when i watched all those desperate people tring to get away. And those battle horns that the Tripods made scaried the s*** out of me, and i think thats was the purpose of them, to scare the characters in the movie and the audience, cause the audience know wjats coming next when they hear those things go off, as do the people in the movie.
    Tim Robbins was really good, he played his part well and i thought it was kinda funny when my friend said "what is it with Tim Robbins and digging tunnels?" (thats a Shawshank Redemption joke for anyone who doesn't know.
    I just didn't like the ending and how all things came together in the last 5 minutes, but as i said i don't think that was Speilburgs fault.

10. Hacker

Hacker ~Richie Rich~

okay, i've been thinking the review over i held a post back.....and i really liked
    the special effects...i give War of the Worlds...a 3 out of 5.

11. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

Ok, so...some people were dissappointed and some loved it. hmmmm....i think i will not see this movie in cinemas, instead i'll wait for it to be released at blockbuster and rent it then. ;)

12. username

username New Member

!!!!!

This movie was a total let down!!....Just kidd'n if i had my way i would change a few things but i'm not going to tell you because i'll be sitting here trying to explain it.

13. MaesHughes

MaesHughes New Member

War of the Worlds is possibly one of the best movies ever. I really enjoyed it. It was awesome, thrilling, and suspensful. I give it a 10/10. :anime:

14. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

I think a good movie but the ending sucked

15. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

The movie was decent, but I was expecting more.

Seeing that it was from Hollywood, I would expect the special effects from War of the Worlds to be no worser than excellent, and it certainly met my expectations in this sector.

The story fell short I thought, some parts could have speeded up a bit or cut even. *referring to the basement scene in particular*.

Though I havn't read the books before and hence not too familiar on the story, I thought that (based on the movie) these aliens who planned this attack on earth for "a million" years failed to see their weakness when breathing the earth's air which eventually led to their downfall... how about researching another million years before you realise this problem? Not exactly bright are they.

Action was good though as already mentioned, the ending was rushed.

All in all, it was fun to watch but not one that'll stick in my mind for long.

However, my favourite quotes from the movie has got to be these:

[Ray] "They're not from around here"
    [Robbie] "You mean they're, like, from Europe?"
    [Ray] "NO ROBBIE, they're NOT from Europe"

- Shen

16. Orion

Orion Gears

I actually thought War of the Worlds was okay. You have a good mix of acting and action, along with some drama and peril. Cruise and Fanning did a great job of moving the movie along, although the guy with the shotgun was an unecessary slow-down. People who get sick from vibrations, do not go to this movie. I saw it and when one of those giant pod thingies roared, the whole theater shook like it was a little doll-house being shaken by a baby. The aliens aren't that scary looking, but what do you expect, it's an action movie, not a horror movie. I would give War of the Worlds a 4 out of 5.

-Ian