Movies Westerns

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by The_Stranger, Apr 17, 2004.

1. The_Stranger

The_Stranger New Member

For some reason or another, I've been going through a major Western movie craze lately.

In the last week I have just watched "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", "Open Range", "Purgatory", Jericho, and a few others of which I have forgotten the names to and all of which were VERY good. Anyway, its just an inkling I have, and I'd be obligied if anyone can point out a few good ones.

2. Novus

Novus Gone

You left out the greatest western of all time: The Magnificent Seven. Story adapted from The Seven Samurai, starring such great cowboy stars as Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn and Charles Bronson. And Eli Wallach playing the villain. Easily my favourite of the genre. Just make sure you see the 1960 original before the remake.
    Of course, I also recommend Maverick, mostly because it's about a gambler and poker and all that coolness.
    If you want to see a really odd blend of western and science-fiction, you should look up "Westworld". It's one of my dad's favourites.

Oh yeah, and anything with Hopalong Cassidy. Singing cowboys were cool.
    Which reminds me, I've heard that there's a movie based on Marty Robbins' El Paso and another based on Kenny Rogers' The Gambler. If you tracked down thsoe, well, I'd bet my hat they'd be good.

3. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I think that the only western that i've ever really sat down to watch is Back to the Future 3. Yes that one is considered a western, well..... sort of. I suppose the mix of time travel and an old genre that everyone used to love made it really successful. My fav one out of all three movies.

4. Hice

Hice New Member

McLintock!

Great John Wayne western comedy, definately a must see.

5. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

I love Unforgiven and the Magnificent Seven. There are some others that I've enjoyed, but those two are the best I've seen so far. Um, well, that's it. Bye!

6. Dante

Dante New Member

I, for the life of me, cannot remember the name of this movie (Might be The Quick and The Dead or something, I really don't know, or it could be one named here)...

Had Sharon Stone, Leonardo DiCaprio and Russel Crowe in it. I believe the other fellow was Gene Hackman, whom was holding a little quick-draw tournament. Been a while since I've seen it, but, yeah... was a groovy little movie.

7. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

You're right, the movie's name is the Quick and the Dead. I've never seen it, but I have heard it is a good movie.