Books What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Dredz, May 10, 2003.

1. Kagome_Akari

Kagome_Akari New Member

I'm currently reading Journey Home by Yoshiko Uchida. It's really good. Yuki is tring to get back to her home in Japan, because of the war she and mother and father were forced to live in the U.S.

2. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

I just read Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson. Yes, I loved it, no It didn't have a great ending...*sigh*

3. ~ruby_zeal~

~ruby_zeal~ New Member

i still havent finished "count of monte cristo" and my frend gave me a new book to read called "wizard's first rule" by terry goodkind. its 800 pages and she cleared it in 3 days! :dizzy2:

4. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

I just read The Series of Unfortunate Events 1-11...Weeee! God, they are awful^^

5. sapphire_deity

sapphire_deity New Member

As for me, I'm currently reading the Phantom of the Opera. Sigh. Such unrequited affection.

6. Prosper

Prosper New Member

My school textbooks about classical history. Anyone is a fan of that? :rolleyes:

7. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

im reading 2 books, unless i'm reading some more, that i left somewhere and i forgot about. thats the problem when you have attention defecit....

ANyway, one is Eragon by that Paolo something guy, which is truly awful, but i feel like i have to read it all before i can dis that properly. But what i can say is, he was 15, he read Lord of the Rings, and he watched Star Wars, then went out and wrote a book. That is probably all you need to know.

The other one, I'm just getting into and I think its pretty good, Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. I liked the Otherworld books better though, but i like sci-fi better, so thats proably why.

8. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Right now, I'm reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, and I've got just about a ton of other books lined up after this one.

9. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

Eragon is awesome!! You're reading it at the perfect time to because his next book, the Eldest will be coming out soon. What's really cool is that i believe he's like nineteen.... and the only reason i know this is b/c i work at a Waldenbooks and my manager told me.

10. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Hop on Pop. *sniff* It's so tragic the way they hopped on Pop. :sad:

:D Actually, I'm reading another of Mercedes Lackey's novels, called "Magic's Pawn" It happens, like, 1000 years after The Black Gryphon, I think. So far, it's not quite as good, actually. It's still interesting, but I miss Skandranon, and Amberdrake, and the rest.

11. SteamedRice

SteamedRice New Member

New book

I'm about to purchase Not Always So: Practicing The True Spirit Of Zen by Shunryu Suzuki.

12. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

I enjoyed that book, might read that agian soon, if i can find it. Problem is there is like 1000 books in this house, some in boxes and shelves 2 deep. Hard to find stuff.

Was it him who did Name of the Rose? The movie with Sean Connery and Christian Slater ( i think you get to see his butt too). I read the book after i saw that, its good, but not easy reading, but if you liked Foucaults Pendulum you might like it. Personaly I like it when the writing is good, even if it's like over my head. At least you are stretching yourself, i dont like dumb writing like.. (OK wont say it dont want to start flame war).

13. sylverdragonfly

sylverdragonfly New Member

We are here, I understand your joy lol...um..yeah... I have an Art History book big and fat enough to break my foot if dropped and an Anthropology book that I'm reading as well. In between that I'm catching up with Dian Fossey it Walking with the Great Apes and Woman in the Mists for an annotated bibliography that I just don’t want to do. I am finding Dian Fossey to be an interesting psycho however o_O I could have never pictured myself saying this any time in the past...but Math is my easy subject...no extended reading involved.

14. seto/joey rlz!

seto/joey rlz! New Member

How soon is Eldest coming out? And I already knew he was nineteen, it said on one of the flips of the book cover. :D :cool:

15. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I find his writing to actually be pretty down to earth. Yes, he wrote The Name of the Rose (have to pick that one up) and I love his style. And good writing always will be a matter of opinion...In my case, Eco isn't really a "stretch", but I get what you mean.

I intend to read 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand next! ^_^ I've had it since Christmas.

16. Black Nyoko

Black Nyoko New Member

Right now I'm reading Stiff by Mary Roach. Its a book for my human anatomy and physiology class. It talks about cadavers (corpses) and their significance to human discovery. Its pretty graphic, but the author writes in a way which makes the book interesting and easy to understand. Its just that its so graphic :eek:

17. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

I'm not sure... all he told me is that it would be soon. I'll check next time i go into work.... that's... friday i think. I'll call him on thurs when i get back from my trip and post it here when i know for sure.

18. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

i just finished reading a book called "The unfettered mind". its a series of letter written by a zen monk to several Masterswordsmen about the state of zen in Kenjutsu. its an intense book and hard to follow sometimes, but the ideals given and the material presented is amazing.

19. Prosper

Prosper New Member

Yah! I am happy in my world of ancient times. I hope i can grasp it better, because my english isnt that good. Pray for me, ya!

20. sapphire_deity

sapphire_deity New Member

Sigh. I had been forever searching for a copy of Neil Gaiman's Stardust. I wonder if I'll ever see one. Anyway, I'm currently into Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess. Why, I had always been interested with English historicals. And I guess it counts as one.