Computers What does it mean? o_O

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jaken, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

This is a little stupid but I've been wondering for a while. . . . Through the End Task Function, in the Performance Menu, what do these mean:

-Total (Handles, Threads, Peak)
    -Phisical Memory (k) (Total, Available, System Cache)
    -Commit Charge (k) (Total, Limit, Peak)
    -Kernal Memory (k) (Total, Paged, Nonpaged)

What do they mean?? @_@ Also what do all the numbers next to them mean? Heres a pic for refrence.

Also, what is the PF Usage?

I thank you very much, ahead of time,if you can answer all my questions. ^_^

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

K - stands for Kilobyte, or 1,000 bytes. A megabyte (MB) is 1,024 kilobytes.

Handle - a token (usually a pointer) a program uses to access a resource.

Thread - a part of a program that operates independently of other parts.

Process - a currently running program.

Physical Memory - the amount of RAM available to your system. Total is the size of your installed RAM (512MB in your case). Available is how much of that RAM is currently free for new processes to use. System Cache is how much of that ram is currently being utilized.

Commit Charge - a representation of both your physical and virtual memory. Total is how much memory is currently being used by both. Limit is the maximum memory available using both your system's physical and virtual. Peak shows the highest memory usage you have had during your current computer session.

Virtual Memory - a data store that functions as an imaginary memory area. It is used when your physical memory runs out to keep addresses for processes. Your system does so, by dividing up the allocated space into "pages" to swap between your disk and physical memory.

PF Usage - Pagefile usage. How much of your virtual memory is currently in use.