Saber Marionette What don't you like?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Feb 19, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

If you had to point out what you dislike about SMJ the most, what would it be?

I know it can sometimes be hard to notice flaws in things you like, but speak out here for me if you please... ^^

2. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Lousy zanchi, sparking all this contraversy.
    I do have some problems with it, although I also have a deep affection for it, it being my first ever anime DVD, and my first subbed series.
    I don't like the way it's at times too childish, it can be a bit annoying.
    The animation is at times a bit off, but never too bad.
    The story is a bit slow at the start, but it does soon pick up.
    That's all I can think of for the moment. It's a grand anime, sure.

3. ppv_14

ppv_14 New Member

imo too much attention on Lime
    has a habit of starting of things and dropping them
    (Marine)

4. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

DVDs too expensive and too little per JtoX volume. = =;; Hey, the J ones have TWO disks inside each!!

Some characters deserve more attentions.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The english dubbing is (read: horrible) okay...

6. c0ke

c0ke New Member

-Dub
    SMJ: Decent.
    SMJ Again: ehhh... meh...
    SMJ to X: Sucks balls, worst dubbing I have ever seen (Next to Love Hina). A ****ing hobo could do ****ing better.

-Too much attention on Lime. Cherry, and Bloodberry deserve some more spotlight.

-Leaves what happened to Bloodberry a blank. Deserves Explaination.

-SMJ to X Vol. 4 and 5 doesn't work on my Playstation 2, ****ing Bandai.

-Kikuko Inoue; wonder if she could of made a good Cherry? The anime world will never know.

7. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Isn't Kikuko Inoue Panther's voice in the Japanese version?

I would change the English voice actors to people who have watched the sub and kind of know what the characters are like, and maybe who could try to imitate the voice styles for that character the Japanese version had.

And maybe some more slack for Hanagata at times would be good...

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Sweet, gentle Belldandy is Panther?!

Actually, listen to the landlady's voice in Chobits... I think thats Inoue...

9. ppv_14

ppv_14 New Member

Note on Dubs
    Love Hina's dub wasn't bad imo
    Saber Marionette J + Again aren't bad either
    Nadesico's dub ain't bad either
    Now J to X That's bad.
    SMJ-One more thing that's bad.... introduces many characters but drops them after a while.

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yessir, that'd be her (and her R counterpart, Brid). I am personally a fan of Shiratori Yuri's Cherry work. ^^ I just don't think anyone else could fit that character so snugly.

Another complaint - One video game release, and one that seriously needed more work before its release. Simplistic, yet horrible controls, no relative plot, and the stink of a quick cash-in job. I did like the new musical scores, though... ^^

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

:eek:

It's like seeing Superman kick an old lady!

And yes, Shiratori Yuri did an excellent job with Cherry.

12. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

You can run but you can't hide tbh --;
    Oh, thank you for calling me zanchi btw ^^
    :p
    And yes, it was kind of childish just at the begining, say first 3-4 episodes. But then it got better :)

Is that what drove you to make this thread MattSuey? ;P

Heh, anyway, I disliked how much funny faces there are and how less is the serious parts [judging from the first 9 episodes].

That's all :) [so far :rolleyes:]

13. Sachiko

But then the funny faces are there to drive you into the anime, isn't it? It gets so emotional and sad later on that they have to start off with some humorous things to capture attentions, I think.

14. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

yeah, but, its TOO much, well compaired to RK :p

I remember once watching Magic Knights Ray Earth with tooms, and there were lots lots LOTS of funny faces, not to mention the chibi things, that it looked like kids stuff =/

You know what I am getting at?

15. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

No, I don't get what you're getting at, but I'm trying to grasp it.

I'm thinking perhaps SMJ's brand of humor isn't hitting you in the right way. A lot of it is based on outtakes (in extreme fashion that would almost make a Warner Bros. toon cringe), and the style is affected that way.

For instance, take Lime's breakfast scene in the second episode. Lime barges in with a stackful of food, and Otaru does the raging monkey dance - "You broke my door! You cracked the frame! My landlord's gonna kill me!" The neighbors come in, and you see his face jump all about as he tries to explain.

I think it's more on the whole scale of atmosphere. SMJ is, for the most part, light-hearted and cheerful. In comparison with other anime, that are dark or serious, of course it is going to come out looking like "sunshine and lollipops". Perhaps you should be considering Saber Marionette R if you want the other kind of scenary.

But a lot of the central plot and content are far more mature than any "kid" would understand. I could see them enjoying the outtakes, but as soon as it gets serious, I doubt it'd keep their interest.

"To each his own" in the end. I thoroughly enjoy playing Grandia despite the fact my younger brother says it looks like a kiddy game. There are groups of people out there who refuse to watch animation in general because "it's for kids". I enjoy SMJ's brand of humor and still laugh at the jokes today. It's the "kiddiness" that roped me in, and the captivating followup that made me an obsessive fan.

But, if you're looking for another Rurouni Kenshin, you might be disappointed - that series has ended, and nothing will ever be quite the exact same.

16. Sachiko

Well, Magic Knight Rayearth is different because you can't really call them "funny faces". The characters are just in too..er..SD form/ chibi forms. And I understand that much - TOO cute stuff tends to be annoying. For example, Digi Charat.

17. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

I'd like to add more things

What i liked the least of SMJ/JtoX:

IT ENDED! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK instead of complains, I'll add suggestions to what would make my SMJ experience more enjoyable:

* a mascot. I know, this sounds kiddy/childish. But I'd like to see Ponta-kun more often. Perhaps like Lime's pet? Like, it'd be around her everytime. Well this is for JtoX, where the series are a bit darker and Lime isn't as childish (or destructive :p ) as in J.

I said it somewhere before, but i'd like Ponta-kun changing pages between scenes when something funny happened. (i.e. hanging from the next scene in a slidedown)

* More Marine stuff. Hey, how about if of JAgain, instead of her getting along with the marionettes at first, she would have been lost, and her journey thru Japoness / New Texas (perhaps even Gartland or Xian) was a whole process, like what happened to Lime with her maiden circuit maduration process?

* Less plasma clouds. I would have LOVED characters flying in airships or something. I don't know, I just think that zero airplanes makes the SMJ universe too boring.

* Perhaps there would be SOME women (more experiments to return the female to Terra II... all unsuccessful to a certain degree... like girls having a limited lifespan , but only capable of breeding men?

That'd be neat: Having both a) more female characters in the series, and b) The problem of finding an authentic female to save the world.

More suggestions:

* More chapters involving secondary characters: Sensei Obiichi/Yang Ming (in the novels they're the same person), Akashi, Reed...

Yes that's what i'd consider the biggest hole in the series. More characters.

* More dark stuff (but not completely dark and angsty, but instead, like each chapter/subplot having a somewhat happier ending. Lime learning the hard lessons of Life, and still retaining her innocence would be very neat. Hey, perhaps that could be a sequel to JtoX... ah anyway :( It won't happen :( bwaa..... it's finished *sniff*

18. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

What don't I like?

The one-dimensionalness of Otaru's marionettes. I mean,with the exception of their stint in Xi'An when they're amnesiacs,they don't do a whole lot of growing outside their "pre-programmed" personalities,and even then such external growth is debatable.

19. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

It's one of the first times that I like an anime wholly. Then it's difficult for me to find something that I dislike. Call me a fan of SMJ :)

Perhaps, some plots in SMJ Again. The story has a course until the 3rd part of the OVA and then changes suddenly with all the liquid terminator thing.

And in J to X (I take it as the best part of the whole series). I would like to watch more about the saberdoll's developing.

But I like how hanagata and Panther end up working together in the end (will not talk about it, it's a spoiler ;)

20. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

There is only one who could do Cherry's voice, and that is Shiratori Yuri. She gave Cherry so much more personality. To think of Panther's voice in place of Cherry's... Ugh. No, in my opinion, Cherry is perfect in every single way...(muses to self) Am I giving away too much here? :sweat2: If so, it's #4.

Anyway, what didn't I like?... Such a tough choice. Saber Marionette J nears perfection. Umm... If anything, I'd prefer if the subs were completely accurate. (see http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5615)