Movies What is a movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Novus, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Novus

Novus Gone

What are movies to you? Simple entertainment? Art? Industry? A waste of time (get out of this forum ... growl ...)? Anyway, I just want to hear some people's thoughts.

2. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I think movies are complex, competitive entertainment. Complex, cuz it's a big combination of actor-performance, cinematography, story/script, music/sound, buildup/climax/transition, and visuals. Competitive cuz it's so mass marketted, quality has to be pushed to limits. And entertaining cuz that's the main reason--people need something to look and listen to for fun now and then.

For me, being an art student, I can also see movies as works of art. But mostly I just watch em for entertainment value, without really criticizing it too much. I guess that's why, compared to my friends, I usually "grade" a movie from C- to B+, which means I hardly ever really like or dislike a movie.

3. Novus

Novus Gone

I also few some movies as art, but others are just utter pulp (pretty much anything Julia Roberts, por ejemplo). Of course, it was science that created film, and business that made it last so long.

4. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Movies are fun. Movies express things about people, things some people may have never thought about. They can make you smile and laugh or frown and cry. They can make your day, your night, your week; they can be the bane of any of the aforementioned as well.

Some movies make you think. Hard. Others are brain candy, a relaxation device for authors/stars/directors/etc(-to-be) who are mentally exhausted after trying to come up with something they can call good but fail to do so. Some are shallow, just entertainment, and others are just... strange.

A movie is a movie... is a movie. It can be one thing or many things. They can have a point or none at all. They can be excellent or just wrong. What makes a movie good is probably more opinion than anything else. The fact that many, many people think one thing about a movie doesn't mean it's impossible for someone to dislike it.

A movie is a movie. It's love, it's hate, it's fear, sadness, love, solitude, hope, human emotion.

There ya go. ^_^

5. Dark_Dreams

Dark_Dreams New Member

I love a good movie. There are some movies that are really good and have hidden meanings with every action or word(Like Grand Canyon) Dear God , when I tried to find all the meanings my brain started to hurt really. Then there are some movies that have no meaning at all like Zoolander. I mean it was funny and all but god it had no mean beside I don't know, don't give up if you can't turn left. :( The problem is more and more movies are coming out that have barely any meaning to them. Thyat in itself shows how much the intellect or at least the importance of intellect is dropping in this country. That's why I'm moving to Venice!!!!!
    Arrivederci,
    D_D