Philosophy What is 'justice'?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrazedOCD, Sep 23, 2005.

1. CrazedOCD

CrazedOCD New Member

Plato defines justice as 'a decision made in defence of the common good.' Is this true? Is this the best definition, or could there be something better? Before answering, consider this:

In a given instance, such as the recent Katrina tragedy, it would be considered more 'in the common good' to withdraw all personel and funds currently assisting and put them to 'better' use elsewhere. It would take far too long and be far too costly to rebuild all that was lost, it is in the nation's best interest to move on and expand elsewhere. It is a very detached, cynical definition.

Please also note that this is not about Katrina, that was just an example.

:p Let's see how much this will screw with people's heads!

2. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

I See what your saying.. But in the case of Katrina and the mass destruction is did on the City of New Orleans.. In a way It may seem like if you take all those funds and put them elsewhere and forget about rebuilding, that it would be cheaper.. Maybe.. But what about all those ppl.. they Would have to find a new Place to live, A New job. so really I don’t think it would balance out.. Not when the Potential is there to Rebuild Bigger and Better..

Now in the Case of Chernobyl nuclear disaster, Yes it would Be in the best interest to seal off that part of the country, clean up best they could And put any fund that could have been used for a rebuild to a better use.. Which I am Pretty sure was done.. But correct me if i am wrong..

Now is there a Better Answer to the 'a decision made in defense of the common good.'

If you think about that definition it sums up justice pretty good.. Cause i Mean We punish those who commit crimes. To keep them from committing more crimes against those who do not commit crimes.

But is there TRUE justice in the world.. I don’t think so.. Look at the war in Iraq.. If you believe the reasons that were given for the war are true, then it was to take out someone who needed to be punished.. But the aftermath has only been replaced with fanatics who cant be controlled... So how was the war for the common good = justice???

3. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Or is Justice merely glorified vengance. Justice in the sense of crimes is what most people would call a 'reckoning'. "He got what was coming to him." "He hurt those people, and now he's going to pay for it in prison. Justice is served". We didn't like Saddam, so we went over there and ousted him. Justice was done and look what happened now? Is justice simply glorified revenge and who has the right to determine what is just and what is not?

~W

4. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

No one person has the right to say what is just and what isn't. What one person calls justice, another may call murder. Justice is just another perception. And I agree KaMeKaZi about TRUE justice. If there were true justice, people who murdered countless people and got away with it wouldnt be set free.

5. Dante

Dante New Member

On the contrary, yes they do. We ALL do, that is why we were blessed with the option of opinions, free speech (for the most part) and a free thinking will. It's no different than someone's views of different races, sexuality, gender, overall appearance, ideas on abortion, which Presidential candidate we want to vote for or which is a better pizza place, Domino's or Pizza Hut (Pizza Hut). We may not agree with each other and a lot of times we'll see that we fight and argue fervently over which we believe is right... of course few ever realize that we both have the right to be right (haha, I made a funny).

But then again, in all fairness, I say again it is your RIGHT to say that no one person has the right to say what is just and what isn't, so I guess this point is just kind of moot now, but at least I blessed you all with my wonderful, wise and utterly pointless dribble. :)

6. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

You're exactly right. However, though we all have the right to say what is just and what is not, we don't all have the right to act on it, do we?

After all, if everyone started doing everything based on their personal belief of what is just, we'd have chaos... I bet you'd like that, eh? :p

7. Dante

Dante New Member

Well we DO have the right to do it, but that doesn't mean everyone would think it's right. And no, not really, I'm not an anarchist.