Philosophy ....what is life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jackabee, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

What is life?

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life

:p

Unless you want the goth/emo definition, which is, put simply, "unbearable pain and suffering" :p

EDIT: A better question would be why your post count is decreasing...

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Life is that annoying time between when you wake up and when you go back to sleep. Not worth it, most of the time. There are only a few, very specific moments that make it worth it.

1) Biting into a big, juicy cheeseburger/slice of pizza/whatever your favourite food is done just the way you like it
    2) Waking up, seeing a huge snowstorm outside, and smiling, because it's not a day you have to go to work/school, and you can sleep in.
    3) Listening to music in the dark

4. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Hey, getting all sad and deleting everything isn't going to do any good. Why should you be sad? I don't know about your life in reality, but here you're treated the same as everyone else. If it seems like some people are being mean to you, it's most likely just good-natured tussling of your hair, nothing with malicious intent. And if that were the case, it would be a simple matter of contacting one of the higher-ups about it.

And anyway, there's no purpose to being depressed. I know it happens; I've been there myself. And very recently, too. Check my journal about it. I went through the worst two days of my life not two weeks ago. But getting depressed won't do anything about it. I understand that you might want to be, I understand that people do get depressed. Very well. But don't let it rule you. Don't let your depression rule your life. Sure, you feel sad, you want to just crawl into a corner and die. You just want the pain to stop. I know. But hiding, shying away from others is the *worst* way to go about it. Talk to someone. One of your friends, your family if you can, hell, I'd be willing to talk to you. It really is the best way to feel better, is to just have someone to talk to. Even if it doesn't seem like it, people care, and more than you might think.

And I'll gladly talk to you about this more over YIM, MSN, or AIM, if you'd like. I'm always willing and happy to help people. :) You have but to ask.

5. Jackabee

Yo but seriously what is life... besides the time between when you are asleep.... Neph does that make you dead asleep? :p hmm... interesting idea... some people call death eternal rest.

6. Muse

Muse New Member

Life in itself is an empty canvas,
    it becomes whatsoever you paint on it.
    You can paint misery, you can paint bliss.
    This freedom is your glory.

Life is no thing. Life is an endless chaos of possibilities. By selecting some of these possibilities we weave a web determined by a pattern that we cannot know beforehand. It is this selection of possiblilities, or the weaving, or the woven web, which people mistakenly look upon as life. Yet, realise that life remains forever untouched by the weaving of man. We make our own understanding of life what we will, but life in itself is a transcendant state of flux having no form, and yet giving rise to all forms.

Meh, that's corny.. lol.

What you're asking is an age old question that remains unanswerable beyond mere ideals and speculation. You know this right? :p

TG: double post

7. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

-Osho, very well put i agree

TG: tell us your thoughts everyone, not your agreements.

8. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Did anyone else notice in that definition that there was living?

Life is a state of existing. You choose what you want out of it. Life has its riches and its pain. Your actions for how you handle both prove who you are. It’s not about the first bite of a sandwich :p no matter how pleasurable that could be. It is about you because it is your life and you choose to live it.

9. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

can you understand "everything" and "nothing" at the same time... thats what life is. it's everything and nothing. life and existence are such a dificult thing to understand. if we would know the real meaning and porpuse of life it would be so deep that we might not be able to bear it and drown to it's deps... :glazed:

10. Jackabee

I like what pardal said. The biology def is so boring. to be considered living one must move, respond to the environment, have cells, use enegry, reproduce, change over time, and have DNA... did I miss anything? As to what life is on a philisophical level... well I have no one strong enough idea, just fifty million questions.
    Maybe life is just a bunch of questions.

11. Shinigami-Sama

Shinigami-Sama New Member

life is a series of seemingly random events that compouned onto eacher to create all that we know: love, hate, cruelty, oppresstion, freedom and ignorance