Square Enix What is up with Sephiroth's (and Cloud's) sword?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Seriously, Sephy's is so long he'd have to spend 10 minutes angling it just so he could attack, and Cloud's is so big I'm surprised it doesn't break! I'll post a screenshot later when I'm not on a crappy library computer.

...NOT THOSE KINDS OF SWORDS! The ones they use in the game! ...perverts. :rolleyes:

2. Jam Chii

Jam Chii New Member

It's just a game, swords can be of any length or size and the main character can still spin it and junk like that with no problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dante

Dante New Member

How is Sephiroth's hair naturally silver?
    How did Cloud get his hair so pointy?
    And what brand of gel does he use?
    How DOES Tifa keep them in?
    How did Aerith learn to wield a quarterstaff?
    How did Dyne survive that fall?
    How can Red XIII talk?
    How, in the Lord's good name, is Bugenhagen related to him, really? (Beastiality?)
    How does Reno keep those sunglasses above his head while fighting without them falling?
    How come Zack gets gunned down by a couple of machine guns, and Dyne throws himself off a cliff and they die, but if you're blown up by missiles, crushed by giant robots and shot by soldiers and just can use the feather of a Phoenix and yourself back to life, or use a potion?
    How in the Hell does Cid jump so high?
    How did Rufus come into possession of Dark Nation?
    How often does Cloud ride dolphins?

Shall I continue? :p

Really... it's like Chii, said, it's just a bloody game.

4. Reisti Skalchaste

A game it may be, but I can still question the logic of it. No one in their right mind would use a sword like Sephiroth's. Then again, Sephiroth isn't exactly in his right mind...

And Cloud shouldn't even be able to LIFT a sword like that, much less swing it around the way he does! Besides that, it seems pretty obvious that his couldn't work. The hilt is so small that he could probably swing it once before it snapped off! Try it sometime if you don't believe me.

5. Jam Chii

Jam Chii New Member

Actually, I would use a sword like Sephiroth's sword. If I remember correctly, his sword is long but not thick, so it shouldn't be hard to wield.

And yeah, I'm just like you, I question the logic of the game, but in the end, what does it matter? You can't change it or do anything about it.

6. Dante

Dante New Member

Ahhh, then let us question the logic of those things that I said.

Hell, let's question the logic of everything. :D Every video game.

How come cops just forget about you even though you commit mass genocide in Grand Theft Auto?
    How come when you commit genocide, you can get out on bail?

How does Jill Valentine know how to play the piano?
    How DOESN'T Chris Redfield?
    How did Marvin survive as a human for so long after being so badly bitten?

Hey, let's get into more Final Fantasy games!

How exactly does the gunblade work?
    Hell, how can everyone use magic?
    How come a dog (Inteceptor) is better than any party member you'll ever get, even with their omnipotent powers... and how did they get omnipotent powers? Why do they have omnipotent powers?
    How come Wiegraf Folles his evil? He seems like such a cheery guy!

Or some other Square games...

Saga Frontier = How do those Mystics pop-in and pop-out so damn well?

Hey, let's turn this into the Video Game cynicism thread. :p

7. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Video games, almost by definition, are generally an escape from reality.

Could you ever, in real life, direct a team of professional athletes against a team of professional athletes that your friend is playing as?

It doesn't have to be realistic, because it's a video game.

Just make up solutions to the plotholes or illogical things if it bothers you.

For example, in Diablo II, Vipers in the Viper Nest drop boots. Vipers don't have feet! Why are they dropping boots when they die?

Answer: Well, they ate someone who was wearing boots.

Why doesn't Cloud's sword break?

Answer: The sword is made of an uber-strong metal that is unbreakable.

And Sephiroth's sword doesn't look that hard to use. Just look at that Zan--zanza...Zan something sword that Sanosuke uses!

1 person likes this.
  8. Reisti Skalchaste

Alrighty then, Jam Chii, you say you'd use Sephy's sword? What if you had to fight in a confined location? It is long and skinny, but the blade would still weigh quite a bit because of it's overall size. Besides that, how would you get it in/out of it's sheath?

Amon, those are some questions that have bugged me for some time. But I know you're only posting them in jest (or mockery). So I won't bother trying to answer.

Except the one about Interceptor. He is awesome, yes, he does craploads of damage, blocks for Shadow, is plain cool, etc. Have you ever been bitten by a dog? It does hurt, a lot. And besides, Terra was always the coolest in my books, I've had her deal 72,992 damage several times, and I could double that if any enemy lived through it. Her ridiculous levels of power can be explained. She is a half-esper. Espers are much stronger than humans. I rest my case. I'd write more, but I'm on a library computer and am about to be kicked off.

[EDIT] Amon, I agree. This is now the Video Game Cynics thread. :D [/EDIT]

9. Dante

Dante New Member

Yes... I have been bitten by a dog... and it's hardly that painful all the time. ;P And... nice cover-up there... with excusing the power of a dog in a fantasy game and following it up with saying that he's not all that powerful. :)

Ahh... but how/why is she an Esper?

How come there are Espers?

Where are Espers in the real world?

How many people do we meet in our lives that are Espers?

Can these people use magic?

Do they have insane levels of power?

Can they blast people with a 2D graphical-sprite ray of fire and cause white five-digit number configurations to randomly pop up over-their heads shortly after being engulfed temporarily by a 2D graphical-sprite sphere of fire, shaking back and forth for a pecosecond, and look exaclty the same?!

I think this is a case for Jonathan Frakes (A nickel to whoever guesses the reference)

10. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Johnathan Frakes the actor, or Johnathan Frakes the one who thinks he's a monter?

Seems to be the actor, for that one series about secrets and all.

ANYWAY, I'm pretty sure Sephiroth's and Cloud's sword is a case of "Willing Suspension of Disbelief".

I mean, you SEE Sephiroth wield his sword when he joins your party for a brief time, and you CONSTANLY see Cloud using it as a weapon. Heck, you see it in better 3d when you play Kingdom Hearts.

Does that explain why Cloud suddenly can fly, in KH? No. But it IS me WILLING to believe that it's possible.

Kinda like reading a book. Y'think that Cosmo Knights are real? Or Jabberwocks? Or maybe even, gasp! The President of the United States!? ...wait...damn. Forget that last one!

11. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

I think it's just because it's a game. Besides, I think Sephiroths sword looks cool when it's so long.

Although, how thin it may be, the length of the sword would make it feel heavy. It would probably be impossible to balance a sword that long.

When you can win a Masamune copy from the Golden Plate it says: Only Sephiroth can wield this sword. Besides, Sephiroth has Jenova cells in him.

In some games there isn't any logic because there isn't supposed to be any logic in the game. Like most of the FF games.

I will not argue with anyone now, so please try to ignore what I just said.

1 person likes this.
  12. Fushigi Rockna

How is Seymour's hair naturally blue? :p
    Glue and Hair spray! Guh!
    Because he's intelligant! Unlike some of the cast!
    Super glue and crap *** graphics!

yeah it is just a game, so there is no real logic, but there is SOME logic.

Sephiroth's sword is special. Only he cna use it. It says so in the manuel in his profile.

As for Cloud's sword...it's a broadsword. I don't know did they exist once upon a time? I'm guessing Cloud had a lot of practice withit, probably since he was a child.

Now how cna someone have a gun put in their arm? :p

13. Reisti Skalchaste

I've seen broadswords before. That is not a broadsword. It's a frickin' wall plate... or something. In the real world, such a sword would be unusable to all, and would break due to stress on the hilt.

I realize that Cloud is stronger than the average human, but even so, his sword would be very difficult to use. If it had a longer hilt, I could understand, as he could use it more like an axe, but...

The only exception is the Ultima Weapon, which is made of energy, and therefore, weightless.

[edit]Vash (Trigun) did. Have a gun in his arm, that is.[/edit]

14. Fushigi Rockna

Well try to remember how crappy FFVII graphics were. A broad sword may not have looked like a real broadsword.

It says in his profile in the manuel that it's a sword (no broad added to it) but I'm still guessing that it was intended to be a broad sword.

Once more, you are looking too much into this. Video games do not have to make TOTAL sense. They make some sense but not completly. Plus with the horirble graphics it is almost imposisble for anything to look correct.

1 person likes this.
  15. kikyouchibi

kikyouchibi New Member

he just rocks what more is there to know :p

16. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

This can ALL be explained very easily

Once upon a time the world worked upon a set of given rules - how ever one day a planetsized lump of a new material "funkonium" merged with our (or their - whichever sounds more reasonable) planet.

Among the properties of funkonium is the ability to produce large light metal-like constructs of large strength.

Also by means of a different purification process it can be used to make "Funkhair" (pronounced fun-care) which is the single greatest hair product in history

With it you can style your hair into rediculous styles (sephy was prematurely grey, it's just those lighting conditions were convenient for his coolness) also it can be used as a glue to stop hair accsessories from slipping.

Over centuries of use the chemical poisons the wearers descendants DNA to produce otherwise unheard of hair colours (semi-naturally)

As you can see this is just a small example but all the answers you seek from all games EVER can be explained in the fairness of time using this wonder substance (also given an infinite universe and funkonium any possibility can be realised)

So there :p

17. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Swords similar to Cloud's Buster Sword have existed. Germans called them Zweihanders. While not in the same SHAPE as a Buster Sword, they were roughly the same size, and were generally used for large swings. They required the use of two hands, thus their name, Zweihander. As far as its shape, I'm pretty sure that it's just a character design thing. Or maybe Amano was REALLY hungry, and based it off of a meat cleaver.

And for Sephiroth, that could be based on an existing weapon as well. A Japanese no-dachi was generally too long for use in a man-to-man battle. But, they seem to be used a lot in melee combat against multiple foes. After smaller and faster wielded swords were used, they were rare to find, mostly used as offerings in shrines. But, anyway, this sword was also meant to be held by two hands, and swung in large circles. Oddly, I read somewhere else that a nodachi was also used to de-horse riding samurai. *shrug*

18. Reisti Skalchaste

Ahh, the Zweihander. I had forgotten about them. Yes, the similarity is... well, similar, and I suppose perhaps I am nitpicking a little too much. Excuse me for liking my swords realistically usable.

As I did say but didn't elaborate on, Cloud's Buster Sword COULD be used, it would simply need a longer hilt. With a longer hilt, the stress would be more spread out, and he would be more able to lift the sword, as he could spread his hands out and hold it more like an axe. Then, the sword would work a little better.

As for Sephy's sword, I hadn't heard of those nodachi things. but, if a sword similar to his existed in reality, then I suppose I won't argue with it. I'll simply question it's usefulness. As you said, it would be difficult to use in man to man combat or in close quarters with little swinging room, but it could, in theory, work in other areas. Personally, were I armed with it, I would keep another, smaller sword at my side so I could drop the one and draw the other if a shorter one were necessary. As we know, Sephiroth didn't have one. I guess it would be a sword version of a pike.

Finally, the graphics. Personally, I've always preferred pixels to polygons. I believe that some older games, (particularly late SNES and Genesis games) have better graphics than PS games. The game Warsong 2 is a good example, having anime style graphics, very well done sprites, and overall greatness. But this IS the Square forum, so I'll keep things to Square games. A good example of a Square game would be Seiken Densetsu 3. While it's story and gameplay left something to be desired (to me, anyway) it's graphics were nearly unrivalled on the SNES. Don't just believe me, see for yourself. (I would post a screenshot, but I can't on Library computers)

19. Valant Rapitor

Valant Rapitor A Hungry Weeble

Not even Zweihanders had blades that were as long as their crossguards, as the buter sword had warranted. It is simply too risky to be used. And judging on the sheer width of the blade in comparison to Cloud's form, it is at least twice as wide as a regular person's head. Zweihanders were long blades, but they weren't as nearly as that wide. Such things require the crossguard to be way too reinforced, and the wide blade doesn't help in anything but cleaving. It's probably based more off the meat cleaver than on any usable sword.

Sephiroth's masamune is indeed based off the japanese katana - the resemblance is obvious. Except that the masamune is about 2 or three times longer. You should not ever complain about the weight issue with blades, since there can always be a lighter element that they make up. See DnD's Mythril and perhaps 'Elven Armor'. Sephiroth's strength can also be taken into account. Then again, you can't say much about that in FF7 logic. My FF7 game has almost all of my members' stats at 255/maximum. How would you explain some cutscenes, then, of running away, where I could cleaved those monsters into bits?

Magic.

You can also look here for many similar things of the sort.

20. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

Sadly my only experience with zweihanders was soul calibur

I believe the name of sephiroths sword is one of two legendary swords

there is a legend surrounding the creators of the two swords but i cant remember it

masamune and murasame were the two swords - you're all clever people look it up on google

EDIT: please remember that i may be talking total trash right now