Computers What's going on?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sebastien, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Here's the problem: I burned a ton of anime songs on a Data CD, then deleted them from my hard drive. Everytime I try to listen to certain songs or everytime I try to move them to my hard drive it gives me this damn error and I don't know what it means. (View attachment) That's when I try to move a song but when I try to open one with WMP it gives me this redundancy thing also or just plain freezes. I'd like to know what's going on because I really don't wanna lose all these songs.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

You're receiving a CRC (Cylic Redundancy Check) error.

Ever downloaded a zip file from a site, only to find it won't open when you're done? This is about the same problem.

By and large, it's a data reading error.

Your problem could have been caused by any number of issues, burning the CDs too fast, using cheap CD media, not closing the session, etc.

In short, your data was not transferred properly, and when your computer tries to access it, and checks the CRC, it finds that the checks don't match up like they're supposed to, and notifies you.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but your CD is likely little more than a coaster.

Always, always, ALWAYS check to see that a burn was successful before deleting the original files. These problems can happen, and a re-burn is a possible fix - if you don't wipe the original source.

3. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Is there a way to go back to before I deleted them

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Well, this is where I get into a short lecture about how deleted files aren't really deleted. And no, I don't mean the recycle bin.

When a file is deleted, it's still on your drive. It's just been marked by the system to be "ok" for overwriting. In other words, if you haven't done a lot of file work since you deleted something, chances are it's still on your drive. You just need a way to re-mark it as a file.

slink9 has a very long "crazy list" of recovery utilities. One of these might work in recovering some of your lost doo-dads:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20520703.html