Anime What's left?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by MamiyaOtaru, Dec 26, 2001.

1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

You know something odd? I think I have said everything I care to say about anime. Maybe this makes me a shallow Hal; there are always new series and stuff.. but i think I am running out of steam.

I mean for example: everyone already knows what my favourite series are. For those who don't, I could post a list, but it's only one list of dozens on this board, so who cares? Not to mention that it has all been done before.

I don't see many new series anymore, thanks mainly to the fact that other people who want to see them are always busy playing Diablo II.

This, and i have rediscovered movies. I highly recommend Fight Club, Snatch, and Moulin Rouge. Moulin Rouge is the Excel Saga of Hollywood flicks. Much as I hate to say this, i like the rediscoverd joy of being able to watch stuff in my native language (dubs do not count).

I am tired of humanoid fighting robots, the yelling out the name of the attack school of martial arts, of gratuitous unrealistically proportioned women (like in Hollywood, OK you got me there :D ), or series where all the chicks fight over one guy, or where people only fall in love with the main character (or the main two characters), and especially tired of shows that are about teenagers (why hardly any shows about adults? Who wants to watch a show about teenagers falling in love?) I guess it means I am outgrowing the plots, since I am not one of the types to be attracted to a 16 year old (like certain people in I My Me, Strawberry Eggs, or all the people who love Asuka and Rei)

What am I saying? Dunno. There is no way I would ever do a dramatic goodbye, and beg people to get me to stop, so I don't know what this is.

And since I can no longer disable my sig by default (except for having none at all), and I am too lazy to uncheck the box for show sig, you will all finally see, for the very first time, the exact sig I have had ever since I first signed up:

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I'm so confooze!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
    @_@x!!!!!!!

There're many anime out there and it's so hard to view em' all, just don't go and say I need a change and watch hentai or something (I know you wouldn't but I feel insane right now so I had to say that). But once you watch one series or all of them it's always cool to watch em' over and over again and once you've watched each a million times then write you own fanfics to it...like what Matt did with SMJ :p:p Then once you have all you L337 fanfic skill going on then you should write your own manga and if the manga does well then make your own anime. And if the anime goes well then make all these parodies to other anime's... If you watched all these anime's over and over you would have to have a huge knowledge of all anime.

Well this is my insanity for today.

3. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Seraphita

well, I have to say I am pretty fond of Fruits Basket. What goes on is different from what I see often...

and That Guy! you are a funny fellow, wish I could get to know you better :p

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

What's left? Only what you leave out...

Hmmm....I see and understand your views, Mamiya. After all, everything that once seems shiny and new dissipates and becomes old sometime...

There is a certain attraction that comes to Anime...be it the self-announced "special attacks", women fighting over a single man, overused mechas, or yes, 15 year olds...but for some, eventually it might suddenly lose the appeal...

But so what? Everyone gets sick of something given enough time...that doesn't mean it no longer has any meaning to you...

If what you're trying to get to by this speech is that you're on your way to abandoning the whole genre of Anime, I'd be hard pressed to believe you, but I'd accept it.

On the other hand, if you just mean you're on a sabbatical to avert your attention to your own culture, kudos to you, and Anime will always wait for your return...

I guess what I'm getting at is that there are some people out there who enjoy your presence, people who do take to heart your lists for what they are, not taking them for granted as yet another list around the boards....You're a great guy, and we'd hate to lose ya...

BakaMattSu, no double sarcasm intended, my friend...and yes, BasicRace was quite a good ride!

5. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Well, I share BakaMattSu's view and, well, I think you should take some time to some other things then we'll see you later. :( :( :(

6. That guy!

Although man, there's never enought to say about anime... look at me! I'm still going, and I'm sure Enegizer Bunny will too and the rest of us.

You should keep on posting, you're posts are probably the ones I look forward to the most when I go to this board man! If you don't then keep in touch on ICQ.

*sigh* If only we had a Pillows forum HINT HINT HINT!!!!! BakaMattSu.

(can't resist the sudden urge!!!!)

Ph33r |>4 PilL0//z!! 4N|) 7|-|3Re a|?3 700 m4nj |-|4rD C0r3 |*iLl0//z Ph4n$ h3r3 n07 t0 |/|4k3 a |=0r|_| |)3d1C473d 70 th3m!!!!! sure...the forum may be filled with L337 and all...but it would still be fun to have. We could move all the Pillows threads from Misc into there too. And I raise my hand up to moderating it... how about thee Mamiya and Urashima?

7. MamiyaOtaru

I'm still here, because I'm not going anywhere soon: as I said, this is no goodbye thread. I am just tired of a lot of things, so don't just focus on me leaving or anything like that. I did bring up a few other things in that thread! No one said what they thought of the movies I mentioned! Anyone seen any of them?

?? hehe

Well, this saves me the trouble of asking you about it :D I take it it worked fine with caps lock and num lock off, or whatever it was..

Good laws, I hope movies don't represent my culture.. That would make us all pretty shallow. They can be fun though, and I get all the jokes and puns without having them explained at the bottom of the screen, which kind of ruins them.

That is the very anime I was thinking of when I was trying to come up with something new that I had seen recently.. unfortunately it wasn't quite my cup of tea. I still respect your opinion, don't get me wrong, but Fruits Basket just seemed old hat. The essence of humour is the unexpected, and not much about Fruits Basket surprised me. Much like in A Knight's Tale, where the humour stemmed from the main character's moronic friends, who tried to give him away, and the desperate attempts to cover up for their idiocy, Fruits Basket seems to have this running gag of characters changing at awkward times, and the frantic arm waving to hide it. No one ever notices of course.. it all seems too familiar.

It doesn't help that I saw it with other people in the room, people who seemed detirmined to be amused. I hate it when every five seconds, there is forced chuckling. We don't have to laugh every 5 seconds, and indeed, I wasn't laughing much. It just seems like some people feel they must be entertained, and since this is a comedy, one that has made them laugh before, they are obligated to laugh at every attempt at humour. Tangential rant over. Anyway, I just didn't find it that funny when those two were walking along in the rain, and he was shoved and bumped into her and became a mouse again. There was forced chuckling all around, (hehe he's a mouse again!) but I was cold. Add this to the in anime everpresent cute, 13 or so girl, and her earnest attempts to be nice and be close to people and you get.. something.

Please take no offence at my opinion here Seraphim.. I am just in a bad mood overall, and our opinions of one anime happen to differ (at least as long as I am in a bad mood). Fruits Basket had the misfortune of being mentioned by name, and of being used as an example of some of the things in anime that currently bug me.

Anyway, point is, nothing is funny anymore. It seems like, in the absence of us getting puns, a lot of anime humour is dependant on echiness. It gets old. I've seen such weird stuff, nothing is relly surprising anymore. Maybe FlCL and Excel Saga ruined me. We are completely missing snappy dialog, sarcasm, irony: any good humour based on the spoken word.

If I can't laugh at something, it takes a whole lot to make it up for me with other things. I really need another Eva, something that can make me think. Something with some depth. Time to go read a book..

-------------------
    and the real sig goes back into hiding

8. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Well there is always Hope Mamiya. Always hope. The perfect anime is out there somewhere in the thoughts of brilliant people who will form their thoughts into fruition. I will hope. because the future of anime is unwritten. It is out there ready to be created, explored.. all I'm saying is there is always new anime being created. The chances of another Eva I hope are high. The One Anime will come, shining more brightly then the others, and bind all other animes to it! The One Anime to Rule all Animes!!

9. MamiyaOtaru

LOL.. I too hope for the one anime. Just hoping it doesn't corrupt all who wear it. :D

Also, I take back what i said about Fruits Basket. It was said under the influence of a rotten mood, and I honestly haven't seen much of it. About 1.5 eps, and I wasn't paying attention. Everyone around me was laughing too much I thought, but I still laughed at times, so it was funny. I haven't even seen the beginning yet, so further judgement is reserved. It may well end up being worth my time. I'll take your endorsement of it as an excuse to give it a more extensive chance :)

10. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Hmmm ... sorry to be a downer, but it seems to me that you just lack the focus to stick with something. Just because you find yourself bored with something does not mean there is nothing else left in it for you. And I know I'm a little late into the discussion to post this next bit, but I've been gone, so gimme a break.
    Here's what it comes down to ... you say you have rediscovered the love of movies in your own language. If I am correct in my assumption that most of these films are the same filth that crowds movie theatres everywhere, well, then I've gotta say that there's something wrong with you. All the crap we see on the big screens is just propaganda sent out to make the few remaining intellectuals feel like outcasts while getting trashed by the empty-headed majority, telling us that everything's all right when we're all going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. Now that I think about it, that sounds like most anime too. Maybe I'll just stop watching anything ...

Hmm ... I seem to have misplaced my mind. Could somebody help me locate it?

11. MamiyaOtaru

Don't you dare to twist my words with absurd absolutes! Nowhere did I say all movies are good, or anywhere even close to it. There are however, some good ones.

This is what I am saying. Most anime, like any form of entertainment, is shallow. Can we say fan service? Most movies suck, but so does a lot of anime, they are hackneyed, they all contain the same stock characters. The violent girl, the big dumb guy, etc. etc.

I have not stopped wathcing anime, there is still good anime. Lots of it. Saying there isn't is as dumb as saying all movies are crap. Anime and movies both have bad sides and good sides, it's just that movies have the slight advantage of being for the most part in my native language.

I do not lack focus. I have been with this stuff for years, and the fact that I still am after having reservations like the ones I have brought up here should say something.

I don't know if you have been told this before, but you have a talent for putting things in such a way as to be maximally insulting and patronizing, and it bothers me.

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Lord of the Animes, huh?

I would be tempted to answer this with a three-letter acronym starting with S....

But I guess that you'd already would've known my opinions of the 'One Anime', or 'My Precious'....

BakaMattSu, no witty remarks on his sig once more....

13. MamiyaOtaru

Of sourse it is SMJ.. I meant a new one. Nothing stops me from watchinf SMJ again.. I mean once more, not SMJ Again :D

OK, I need to count to ten sometimes before posting. Sorry GnZcc61, I am over it. Let me just ask, how can it be a lack of focus, if someone stops doing something he does not enjoy? I mean, say you start watching a crappy series. Is it a lack of focus if you stop because it bores you?

All I was saying was that anime, like movies, is entertainment, which often panders to the lowest common denominator. As much as I hate that, I also hate intellectual snobbery. I watch stuff to be entertained, and sometimes that means turning off my brain and going with the flow. Most of the time however, it does take something more. That something can occasionally be found in a movie, as well as in anime. (please don't talk to me about mainstream/mindless if you like DbZ..)

And I still miss snappy dialog in anime. Without speaking the language, we just miss some of it. As much as some would like to think they know the culture, we just don't that well.

OK, the challenge is, find me an anime who's humour does not depend on echiness, on a guy gettung hit by a violent girl, or on parodying other anime. Is there an anime with original humour?

Not everything has to be a comedy of course, so is there an anime that is as engaging and deep as Evangelion? Someone please let me know what I am missing, so I can get back into this whole thing.

So if we could continue this interesting discussion that has for the moment revived my posting activities without using such slurs as
    then I'll be pretty happy. Stuff like this keeps the forum engaging.

So, to clarify, this thread was not about me leaving, and please tell me to stop. it more more "I am in a funk and everything seems old, someone please prove me wrong, and tell me a good new anime to watch to snap me out of it."

And no one is giving me any feedback on the movies I mentioned.. maybe I'll start a new thread then. I would be curious to know if my liking them means I'm a member of the intellectual bourgeois :D

14. MamiyaOtaru

I am rather disappointed to find that this question:
    has the entire readership of this thread (whatever that may be) stumped. Can no one give me an answer? I will not blast it, I promise :D

Candidates so far include:
    1:Fruits Basket
    2:your candidate here

Someone give me a reason to continue watching anime ;) (if you can't tell, that is just a little exaggerated :D )

15. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Not stumped, just busy...

I'm not gonna think too long, being burnt out and all this last day o' the year, but here's the two I come up with (but I'm sure you've seen them):

Slayers - The humor focuses more on the flaws of the fantasy worlds and the strange characters than the anime baseline...

Lost Universe - Pretty close to Slayers (with fantasy being replaced with sci-fi)...

BakaMattSu the Not-So-Brave....

16. That guy!

Hmmmmm, watching some parody anime's is pretty good though because it's kind of an escape from all of these unoriginal anime's which are probably created the way they are because they bring in more money (I know...it's wrong).

But a show such as Nadesico is a good example because for one thing you get a shy guy with all of these girls on the battleship fighting over him...

17. MamiyaOtaru

True, Slayers loks ok. Plus, it has Megumi Hayashibara in it, can't be too bad ;) Lost universe, from the AVs I have seen of it looks like it could be pretty good. Not much to go on, but throw in your recommendation, and I'll make a go of it.

Yeah, parodies are better than the stuff they parody. It is just that there seem to have been a lot of parodies lately. While they are funny, they just aren't completely original, being taken from something else.

So no doubt, parodies are funny! I am not saying that I will not watch them, I was just wondering if there was a show with completely original humour.

the list
    1: fruits basket
    2: Slayers
    3: lost universe

not quite fitting my criteria but I'll still have to watch it cause it looks good
    1: nadesico

18. YokoburiKinura

The One Anime? RahXephon? Or FLCL, maybe?

Ground Rules:

1. This is the Elitist thread. No idiots allowed.

A recent quote (about five minutes ago) from MO: "This was the last interesting thread here."

19. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Elitist thread, is it now? I realize I've already replied to this, but anyhow.
    Let's see...Now that I have had even more of a chance to sample Japan's finest, I'd like to ask if animes with constant food gags count as 'an anime who's humour does not depend on echiness, on a guy getting hit by a violent girl, or on parodying other anime'.

Because there are loads of those! ^_^ Slayers sometimes being one of them...Gourry does get hit a lot.

20. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

hmmmmm........just found this thread.
    I have to say that I totally agree with what MamiyaOtaru said at the start. I got bored with all the terrible hackneyed crap that we are being peddled too. About 2 years ago.
    The same old recycled humour, cliched over used characters. I don't care what kinda new twist they put on it.

The only decent anime I'd buy that I've seen over the last few years has been anime movies like Perfect Blue, Grave of the fireflies, Miyazakis movies etc stuff like that.

Yeah sure some of it's heavy going but it's nice to see some intelligent movies.
    By intelligent I don't mean mind boggling and you gotta watch it over and over to understand it.
    A movie like Spirited Away, aimed primarily at children.
    But it's a well thought out, original and excellently crafted tale.
    I dunno, maybe they're making them in Japan and just not sending them here. By here I also mean Ireland. We get worse stuff than everyone else.
    If I see another cutesy romp about a shy guy and a bunch of girls who like or hate(but secretly like or don't know they like yet) him I'm gonna throw up.
    How about some realistic humour?

This is why I generally only read manga these days.