Debate Which do you prefer....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiro, Jun 28, 2004.

?

Which Do You Prefer?

1. I'm with Manga all the way

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. I'm with Anime all the way

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. It's a toss up

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. I dont like either I just come here fo the Debates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Whats the Difference?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

Which do you prefer Manga Or Anime? for me it's a toss up and i'm wondering if its the same for others

2. Zephos

Zephos New Member

Manga without a doubt. Better quality, better pacing, better art, no filler, full story (Kenshin, Akira, Naausica)

1 person likes this.
  3. Takamatsu_

Takamatsu_ New Member

manga. they are as the artist intended it (for the most part), you dont get the screwups in tone when translated, and the wrong words dont bother me as much in written form, far more varied art styles, and, well, i draw it, so i'm biased.XD

4. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

i like both manga and anime. manga is good because it is original story, anime is good because its colourful and moving! :anime:

5. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Manga, most definately, mostly for the above mentioned reasons.

6. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Has to be manga. Cause the drawings are better and there story is deeper. With manga's you get to see what the character is thinking which you never get in anime, and also the story move's at a realistic pace where in some anime's the pace of the story can be to fast and you feel thet they left somethng out.

7. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

Manga for me.
    I find it much easier for me to read something than to watch it, mostly b/c reading is cheaper (lovely libraries) and when i watch anime when it is subtitled i get very very very lost. ahh the life of a blonde.. ::blush::

8. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Eh, for me it depends on the series.

In many cases, yes, the manga is more detailed and there are fewer sacrifices made for accomodation - like runtime or whatnot. You can also follow a manga at your own pace, which is a great alternative to a series which was dragged out hideously in anime form. (Which is why I loathe the DBZ anime, but have actually read some of the manga - still not a favorite, but it wasn't bad enough for me to ignore it entirely.)

On the other hand, the anime has the benefit of smoother, streamlined artwork (in the best cases - sometimes the quality suffers, and that sucks). It's faster, livelier, and can sometimes cold my attention a bit better. But most importantly, you get to hear voices! :D It's nice to have a voice to go with a face. (Let's NOT bring the dub/sub argument in here, though.)

Then there are series where the anime came before the manga - like with Escaflowne and Evangelion. In those cases, you can't cite the manga as being more accurate. ;)

I guess maybe this topic is a bit vague. Are we talking about manga in general vs. anime in general, or specifically about whether we prefer the manga or anime versions of particular series?

9. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

Manga for me, because there seems to be a lot of little things that I miss when watching something that I can pick up if I read it. And as mentioned above, it's much cheaper. :anime:

10. Dante

Dante New Member

Wow... almost seems to be a bit one-sided here.

Me, personally... I seem to tend to enjoy the anime counterparts more. I mean, sure, manga sometimes has the longer (and sometimes as well, more drawn-out) plot, but I honestly can say I don't think, in most cases, it's enough to top the idea of getting to see these things in action. I mean, Spike using his Jeet Kune Do, Vash dodging bullets, Kenshin in the midst of a fight with Aoshi... I like seeing these things in action.

11. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

While it usually depends on the series, I've always found myself partial to anime - mainly because it's easier to relate to the characters when you get the opportunity to see them in action, note their reactions, expressions, relations to other characters, etc. Of course you get that chance in manga as well, but characters (to me anyhow) just seem more human (or whatever else they might be) in anime form.

Then there's the fact that a fight scene in manga takes up at least three pages and can get rather repetitive to read after awhile, whereas in anime fight scenes can be the peak of excitement for an episode and (in most cases) not at all boring.

Plus there's the fact that I'm incredibly lazy, and let's face it, anime requires less work. :D

12. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

13. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

In Japan, before animes are made, they often create soundtracks and radioplays, which are very popular. Though I have to say, a character is never complete without having seen them in an anime.

Well, if you mean character designs, the manga Hitomi was the original design for the series Hitomi. A lot of times, mangas take original ideas discarded as the series was created. So technically, they're more accurate.

I think that there are always problems with all of this. You miss so much watching the anime first, but you develop voices and such however you want if you read the manga first. It's kinda like a fun surprise to see the anime.

14. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Yes, Hitomi in the shounen version of the Esca manga does more closely resemble the original concept sketches. But a lot of things changed, including designs for other characters. The shounen manga was in production at the same time that the anime was - so neither is really more accurate. They basically just have some plot elements and character names in common, and that's it.

I guess that's one nice thing you get when an anime and manga are simultaneously developed - you get to see a couple of different versions of the same basic idea.

15. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i'll allow it so long as it's a discussion and not just " i like anime" "i like manga" resonses...