Saber Marionette Which languages are spoken in Terra II anyway?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Jedimdo, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Is obvious that in Japaness people speaks (oh!) japanese. But I was thinking, everybody understand each other perfectly. I mean, Otaru can speak with a germanian, or a Xi'anese very well. Otaru didn't finish his education. And I doubt that Mike'd know japanese.

Is there an international language (not english please)? Or a new common language? (as in Tolkien's middle earth)

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Well odds are there's a Global Standard Language used on Terra II. There were only six original colonists, right? Somehow I doubt they'd go to all the trouble of keeping the old languages alive when they probably had a common language to begin with...

Of course I've only seen eps 1-9... so if I'm wrong... ^^;;;

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Still...

I find it difficult for people to speak all japanese. But anyway, isn't it all like this in anime? Everybody speaks japanese :p
    They don't worry about language logistics.

(However, there's an exception. Final Fantasy X! :anime: After all, there's Al Bhed.)

Well maybe in Terra II they speak latin? who knows. You know, this would be a GREAT question to ask Akahoru Satori, it would get him in a big mess trying to explain :D

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Nah, I'm sure he could handle it fine. He'd basically just rip off the explanation JMS gave for why nearly every single line of dialogue in Babylon 5 is in english - it's pre-translated for our ease and enjoyment. In B5 they're really talking in either their native language or InterLac (a standard language used for trade).

5. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

In japaness they speak full japanese. can't you see the characters and writtings all around? It'd be senseless if they'd write it in japanese and read it in another language.

In Xi'an they write in chinese. (Although they've the same kanjis, they don't use kanas)

I was just thinking it so I'm looking for a realistic (for Terratoonians :p ) answer.

6. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I figure they use their native tounges, but somehow they can all speak Japanese. Neph's probably right, here.

In New Texas, you can clearly see English writing. Or rather, Engrish writing.

ie. "Wellcome (sign obscured)
    New Texas (sign obscured)"
    From J Again.

Let's not forget Hanagata's (and other's) numerous uses of Engrish in their everyday language.

Meh, we can understand it all anyway, so who cares?