Hellsing Why do people think that Integra is a man?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Raven, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

When I was at Anime North I met a lot of people who asked me (since I was cosplaying as Alucard) if Integra was a man or woman :anger2: This made me very angry as she is one of my favorite anime chars and I could easily see she was a woman. Then I noticed that on many anime sites people were asking the same thing. I know she wears a suit and all but she has long blond hair and talks in a woman's voice.

Did anybody think that she was a man when you first saw Hellsing, and if you did, why did you think she looked masculine?

2. Dante

Dante New Member

Well I caught on quickly that she was a woman, though she does have a more male-bishounen appearance than a woman's appearance, plus her womanly figure isn't very well shown in that suit. Also, long hair doesn't mean ANYTHING (IE look at Zechs/Milliardo of Gundam Wing or Kenshin Himura or Rurouni Kenshin). :p And, hell, Flameheart in Orphen had a feminine voice, but it was a man (at least I THINK so :p). What seems to throw people off is the fact that she is called "Sir Integral Hellsing".

3. Ueda

Ueda New Member

I seriously thought she was a man until I heard the voice ... but I was doubting for the first few episodes anyways. She has a cold smile and a very strong commanding tone. Anyways, in a later episode when you could see her bra then, I was 100% sure she was a chick. No man in his right mind would wear a bra. Not in the real world, not in anime. Not ever.

1 person likes this.
  4. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

She looks and sounds like a woman,but people were calling her "Sir".

So that's really the only thing that made me think she was a man.Other than that,she seems like a woman.

-BC

5. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

I too think it’s the whole "Sir" thing. And possible the Cigar habit. She also isn’t really the most petite woman. She has a slight manly figure. That’s probably it though. Otherwise she is pretty woman like. I never really thought her to be a man, just took on manly characteristics or habits.

6. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Hmm.. if I recall, I wasn't sure. I thought this Sir who wore men's clothing and smoked cigars was a woman but was very confused. It may have been the first mystery that got me into watching more Hellsing lol.

7. CuLT

CuLT New Member

You have it there, "Sir", "wear's mens clothing" and "smokes cigars" .

Why WOULDN'T some people be under the impression she was a man?

She's more obviously female in the Manga tbh.

1 person likes this.
  8. SexehSeacow

SexehSeacow New Member

He.. oh, wait.. she.. has a man's suit, smokes, kinda looks like a feminine guy in the face and talks like a feminine guy, i mean.. how many animes doesnt have that kind of guy? i thought he was a.. .... SHE was a guy until like.. ep 7? :sweat:

9. raziel's death

raziel's death New Member

well she looks like a guy in a way but then again peopel do call her sir

10. thunder dragon

thunder dragon dragon king

when i saw Sir Integra at the first time i thought she’s a man too and when i heard her voice i remembered that Kenshine in the Japanese
    version his voice was done by woman so i though that this is a man with a woman’s voice but seeing her standing in her suit its true that she has manly figure but still i could see the brest so i knew that she was a woman.

11. jordanuk223

jordanuk223 New Member

I could always tell she was a female by the face as their styles vary to men in manga. However, she is very masculine as she has a deep voice for the english version (I personally prefer to see it in Japanese, as she is less annoying). Also the fact that she smokes makes her seem very manly. I personally find her one of the more irritating and pointless characters in Hellsing. However, I've only seen the first few episodes, she may yet be developed later on.

12. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

Wait a second *digs through her Anime North pics* was this you threatening the Vash guy at AN Raven? Dammit, if i had watched Hellsing and even knew who you were dressed up as before AN04, i would have jumped you. oh well... i found the pic on the internet, but if you don't want me to have it attached just tell me and i'll take it off. The pic is REALLY small though...dang 100 KB limit.

Back on topic...

To be honest, i thought Integra was a man at first too...Her figure isn't shown too well in the suit she wears, and having people call her "sir", and the smoking didn't help either. i thought that it was a male with a deep girlish voice for a bit...i didn't think she was a male for too long though*looks around* Anyway, Integra is actually very pretty...it's just not too obvious at first...for some.

Attached Files:

13. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

That hit the nail... at least by the way I think of it... Her face does look feminine, but being called sir confused me...

14. The Jackal

The Jackal New Member

the people that thought Integra was male until ep7, were you watching fan subs or a bootleg version? Lots of people that watched them were confused by the "sir" thing apparently.
    For whatever reason I just assumed she was a she from the start :confused:

15. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

besides her clothing, and the facial expressions(most females have softer eyes, and less muscular features...not so square a jaw would help more people distinguish her from a man...ect.), theres the fact integra is a common male name. i have friend named integra, and he thought she was male as well. being called Sir also collides with her gender reflections....the creators did this purposely though, so no worries on their part^^
    in the manga, i didn't catch she was female until the flash back scenes....after her father passed....*glomps self* yeah, i'm slow...

1 person likes this.
  16. -Vicious-

-Vicious- New Member

in one of the episodes didnt she get raped or something like that?