Movies Why Spiderman?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Star Princess, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Star Princess

Star Princess Haters are retarded.

Just out of curiousity, why is Spiderman so popular? It seems no different from the other super-hero movies.

2. Fushigi Rockna

Shows how much you know.

Are you referring to the new Spider man movie coming out? That movie from what I hear from crictics is supposed to be the greatest super hero movie of all time right up there with Batman and Superman, probably even better they say. (I was watching a review show and these two guys gave an early review of it). Peter parker is an execellant protagonist even if you don't think so. You may think he's a bit of a wuss and a geek but part of the thing is, he's not all that old. Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne must've all been in their 30's. Peter's in his 20's (not sure about originally. in the old original cartoon he looks old o_O). He's more realistic, him and his relationship with Mary Jane. Unlike Clark kent and Lois Lane's, Peter and Mary Jane's relationship (at leats in the movies) is very real and emotional. And then there's the fact Peter's always late and gets fired from his jobs over and over again because he had to go out and save he day is hilarious. :p

And then...Doc Oc. (how is it spelt anyways? Oc? Ok? Ock? Oct? I'll just go with Oc). Growing up and watching the newer, modern spiderman cartoon show, I remember how Doc Oc was my favorite. Still is. there's something about him, he's a geek, but he's a very smart super villian, with an awesome weapon (machine tentacles!) and a personality I really liked in the series. Hard to exactly explain all the reasons i liked him (soemthing about the way he talked too) but he was my favorite villian.

Which is what makes SpiderMan 2 so coo. because it's got Doc Oc in it! XD

It has a nice balance of emotional, character developing scenes, and action scenes.

And the first spider man movie was popular once again because of our protagonist and how realistic he was and how young he was. (No, not because of how good looking he was. *rolls eyes*) Sure there were some things that weren't realistic (you'll get those everywhere) but it was pretty close. And then you had green goblin. Ooooooooooohhhhhh, another great villian. he's scary. O_O

And both movies are very humorous too.

That's why Spider Man is so popular. :)

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

It's not just that. Spiderman was created like Batman, his parents died, and he takes on revenge as his motto. That's how he FIRST becomes Spiderman the superhero. He wanted revenge on the goon that took his Uncle Ben's life. Then the words that his Uncle said comes back to him, "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility". Peter realizes this, and he knows that he can't leave the world as it is, with the power that he has, so he takes it upon his shoulders to try to keep peace in New York.

What's so popular about Spiderman is his utter humanity, as Rockna said. He's a tragic hero, but you never see him just whine and moan about it. In fact, Spidey is known for being a joker, more than him being serious (until McFarlane got his hands on Spidey in 1990, for a while). He knows what it feels like to have the world's weight on his shoulders, yet he just keeps it on his shoulders, no matter his outlook.

There's also his relationship with Aunt May, her not liking Spidery, yet loving Peter. Then there's Mary Jane. They have recently actually fallen into dire straits in the comics, where Mary Jane's been estranged (married, but separated) from Peter. He's had a relationship with Gwen Stacey, who dies at the hands of the Green Goblin, in front of Spiderman. He has a relationship that's on-again/off-again with Felicia Hardy, aka, the Black Cat. But, throughout it all, you see Parker have to go through the rigours of school, of life, of trying to get a girl to notice him, defeating the Sinister 6, Venom, Carnage, etc.

He's more human than human, in a sense. You see him doing the impossible, yet you see him falter when his own problems come to roost. And there's a humane quality in that.

Not to mention the fact that everyone knows/knows of Spiderman. The generation watching the movies right now is the generation that grew up reading the comics, watching the cartoons shows, and growing up as Spiderman did. And now, they get to see it on the silver screen, done well too.

4. Sieghardt

Sieghardt Man With the Machine Gun

Well I just got back from seeing it, and this movie is pure O-W-N-A-G-E. The battles are so freaking cool, Fast too. Im gonna have to rent the DVD and put it on slow 1/4 just to catch whats happening (thats a good thing people) But...there are some flaws. **Spoilers** When peter begins to start falling as he becomes to "not want to be spiderman" he should show at leats a bit of pain, other than getting up and walking away, thinking "dude....ow."

5. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

The Spiderman movies have been popular cuz, from what my comic-loving friends said, the anticipation for the movie(s) had been building up for YEARS, when it was first announced that a Spiderman movie would eventually be made. My friends and I were in middle school at that time, and now we're almost graduating from college. So yeah, all those years, people have been waiting and waiting for Spiderman. Likewise, the producers had to make sure the movie would to live up to the expectations.