Square Enix Why???????

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by pardal, Dec 25, 2004.

1. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

Why does everyone love the final fantasy games??????????????????
    i mean.... i know that theres people who don't but in general all do.
    why?????? i don't think it's for the same reason to everyone so i've made this thread to know your opinions.... why do you like final fantasy????? if there were somethink you could change so that the games would be better, what would you change????????? maybe if we get a lot of opinions we could send them to square enix in order for them to change or try to change the things that the people don't like in the games..... i think that the opinion of the target public of this games makes a diference. i know that it's not always possible to change the things in a game cause theres a lot in stake but who wouldn't like to see the things they don't like in a game changed for something better?????????????? :confused:

2. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

The story

I like FF games because they have excellent stories. Who wouldn't feel sorry for Terra from FF6, or wanted to see the Tidus-Yuna kiss in FF-X?

There's a romantic in everyone of us. It's the story that makes FF games what they are.

Now, what would I change?

The story endings... more than once I've been disappointed by the endings of the FF games. For example, I'd like seeing Celes marry Locke in FF6, or Tidus coming back in FFX-2... these good endings without having to do the 100% points on yadda-yadda. I mean, for games like Konami's Castlevania, it's good reserving some secret ending for when you put some extra effort. But for Final Fantasy? I mean, that's over 80 hours of play! Come on! I'm not planning to frustrate myself over another 80 hours just to see the "extra ending". This has to change.

Also,the "leveling madness". Spending hours battling a certain enemy seems illogical. Let the leveling up be faster. Also I'd like some specialization. Like if I've killed 1,000 monsters of a kind, let the character have a bonus AGAINST that specific type of monster. Like, being more realistic regarding levels and abilities.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I don't like the newer crop of FF games. They haven't really done anything that's advanced the genre; nothing innovative. Sure, it has real pretty graphics, but those only impress spoiled kids. I was on the tail-end of the text-only rpg generation, so graphics are not impressive to me unless they're genuinely doing something new.

What irks me about FF is that it's become... just... a name. The games have no links at all other than all of them having a man named Cid, the existence of an airship and the basic skeleton of the battle systems. Elsewise they have no connection, so many FF things are simply well known because they are FF. If you took each game and gave it a different name, how successful would each be? I bet a lot of the newer ones wouldn't be quite so popular.

I also find the gameplay somewhat tedious. The obscene amounts of random encounters have to go. I also dislike how you've ended up with less freedom of movement nowadays. Take for example a field with a path in it. You can walk up and down the path, but not onto the grass. Very lame to me. Railroads are no fun.

I also hate how 8, 10, 10-2 and from the looks of it 12 all have basically identical art styles obsessed with being shiny and obscenely impractical (take, for example, the mere concept of a gunblade. If you can't figure out why it's a rotten idea, well, you need to go study how swords and guns work and what the best models of each are). I wouldn't mind if this art style cropped up in 1 game and the next game had it's own unique style, but as it stands I can barely distinguish which game is which when faced with a cinematic.

What FF needs is a hearty dose of innovation. For example, take Morrowind. You had complete freedom in that game. I've never been quite so addicted to a game as I have that. On a somewhat lesser note, take Fable. While not quite as innovative as Morrowind, it still had some nice quirks all its own. Another neat game was Tales of Symphonia. Its battle system was quite different from an FF system.

In short, Square, what I want is freedom. I want new experiences, not a rehash of angsty pretty boys failing love story. I want to be surprised, I want to truly impact the lives of people beyond basic scripted events. I want characters who aren't perfect on any level. Saddle me with an overweight, beer-guzzling ne'er-do-well who has to find redemption if you must - just make the world new again.

1 person likes this.
  4. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

I have to agree with you cause there is no quality in the new FFs...... i mean ... i remenber the days i played ff2 or ff5 even now i'm most likely to play golden sun for gba than a new ff game like ff x-2.... the only thing i like in the new games is the music.... i always loved ff music and even now i love it... there are some musics that i dislike in the new games but hey!!! not every one can be a nobuo uematso.... but i agree in almost everything you said.......

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

You're generalizing, pardal. :D

Personally, I do enjoy the older Final Fantasies, because there was more effort put into them.

Nowadays, it seems to be all graphics and sex appeal. *cough*Rikku*cough*Final Fantasy X-2*cough*

Excuse me. Anyway, I find myself playing the SNES and NES FFs the most. Rare is the time I replay any other.

The older ones were just more fun. I'm not sure why. I guess they have that certain... je ne ces't quoi that the newer games lack.

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Pardal, with all due respect, you're only 16. I know 5 years doesn't sound like a lot, but in the gaming business it makes a world of difference, particularly given the eras we hit. I grew up with NES and SNES as my superconsoles; you grew up with Playstation as yours. Big leap as far as I'm concerned. I'm dating myself, and probably sound elitist, but if B:\ doesn't make you see literally floppy disks, I can't consider you part of my generation of gamers.

Of course I utterly pale in comparison to those who grew up fearing that they'd one day see R:\Tape Loading Error.

7. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

yes maybe i'm only 16 but i'm a gamer with some brains and some taste of what really matters. i rater liked to see a game with a good story than a game with explendid graphics... i can't say i'm a gig and i'm always atatched to the pc but i spend a lot of time with it.
    and i sure prefer to play a good snes game than a new pc game...
    but i do admit that the age gives a lot of expirience in the games world.... and i bet you know and you've played more games than i did... but i'm happy with what i know and with what i learn every day..........

8. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Because of the game itself. The soundtrack, story and characters. Nothing's ever wrong with any of those games!

9. Reisti Skalchaste

See, here's the sign of a person caught by the Final Fantasy Logo. SK, here's a question, if Squenix, or whatever, made a really, really crappy game, with no story, no interesting characters, and crappy gameplay, (ie. Earthbound), and called it 'Final Fantasy XIII' would you play it?

10. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Some people would. If you put the crappiest of games (as described by Shinryu) and just add the Final Fantasy logo on it, it will most likely sell. It would just be easier putting the worst game in history, add good 'ol Cloud and Sephiroth and that game will make at least a million. Its just that people look to see more of their favourite series. Kind of like Advent Children....people loved FFVII...that game will sell more because people loved the previous one.

KaiyonTormentor

11. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

i love final fantasy games but even that way i try to look into it before i buy the game... and this go for all other games... i'm always looking for new games but i think twice before buying a game even if it's known...

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Don't be so sure. Remember the movie flop Square Pictures produced bearing the Final Fantasy name?

I thought it was a decent movie, but it had very minimal ties to that Final Fantasy feeling. It was as if the name was slapped on to help its appeal.

Final Fantasy has no doubt gone downhill in recent years. I've been there since the beginning, and was absolutely blown away by everything up to and including 7. While 9 remains my favorite, I will agree that the certain something the FF series had in console has been swept away in favor of appealing to the masses - it's as if they changed to game to cater to those new to RPGs in general at the expense of the existing fanbase.

Longer rant to come....got a bus to catch. ^^;

13. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

hey, i can't make you belive me but i've born playing familygames, nes and snes after a while cause i didn't had the money in that time to buy a good pc or to buy a megadrive or even later when everybody already had a playstation, i had to wait. now i have a playstation but i still don't have a ps2..*sight*.... i'm not poor but i'm not rich too and i'm not working as i'm only 16....

14. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

but who of you wouldn't like to see some great games of the past re-made and improved.... i think the lack of a good story is a problem of some new games, so who wouldn't like to see their favorite story of an old game reborn again??????????? till now i haven't seen many remakes but i would love to see a few....

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Haven't seen many remakes?

We've been on the subject of Final Fantasy, how many times have they made remakes of that series?

Besides that, all of my favorite games are awesome anyway, they're good enough without needing to be remade. Ie. Warsong 2, Tales of Phantasia. (Though, both of those have been remade) :rolleyes: Phantasy Star 4, Vay, and the list goes on.

16. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

when i say a remake i'm talking about the same story but with the rest completly changed.... metal gear solid or half life where remade but only to a better graphic source but based on the same style.... but a 2d game changed to a 3d game without the need of making another story, thats diferent. of course phantasy star had games in 2d and now have games in 3d but with diferent storys...

17. Reisti Skalchaste

I was talking about games like "Final Fantasy Origins" which has remade versions of Final Fantasy 1 and 2. Same game, same story, redone graphics and music, that kind of thing. What were you talking about? :rolleyes:

18. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

sort of, but to be honest i never played ff origins...
    but i'll answer you correctly after i play it, now i can't give you a straight answer :confused:
    but there are only a few... at least thats what i know here in portugal.
    but lets also say that here in portugal everything comes late or never come. lol