Current Affairs Women rights:FGO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anime_fanatic, Feb 8, 2005.

1. anime_fanatic

anime_fanatic New Member

Fighting Female Genital Mutilation in Africa

150 MILLION GIRLS AND WOMEN MUTILATED IN AFRICA-MIDDLE EAST in last 20 years!!!!!!!!

In spite of laws against mutilation of females, this ill-treatment continues in many muslim parts of Africa. Different organisations working against the practice, stress the need of thorough information on the damage this tradition generates on women. The practice tends to go underground when its only limitation rests on the law.

What is FGM?
    The World Health Organization (WHO, 1997) defined female genital mutilation (FGM) as all procedures involving partial or total removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs whether for cultural or other non-therapeutic reasons.

FGM is performed in muslim cultures. It is customary in Sudan, Somalia, Northern Kenya, parts of Ethiopia and all along the Red Sea Coasts as well as in West Africa in parts of Mali and adjoining areas. The mutilation most often performed is Clitoridectomy or Excision - cutting off, without anesthetic, the clitoris and most of the external genitalia.

These dangerous operations result in permanent health damage: hemorrhage and shock, which may be fatal; many infections including tetanus, scarring which obstructs normal childbirth and may result in death of both mother and baby; infertility due to infections. The operations are performed on children only a few days old up to puberty - depending on the ethnic groups. They cause urinary and menstrual problems, frigidity, painful intercourse and obstructed labor: the highest childbirth mortality is recorded in areas where FGM is practiced.

That female genital mutilation is reflective of the low status of women in society is the fundamental premise of the book, according to Ms. Rahman. Female genital mutilation represents a blatant attempt to control women's sexuality and subordinate their status in society. It is also a violation of the human rights of girls and women.

Female genital mutilation is prohibited by legal or administrative measures in at least 18 countries worldwide, including : USA, Japan, Germany,France,Italy, Canada and Australia.

2. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

Oh thats horrible. Cant believe that so many people still do that. I read a book by Waaris Derie called "Desert Flower". The author of the book was genitally mutilated when she was 14. I cried so much when i read this book. In highschool I was in a drama class so we did a stage performance about Waaris' life. Ive been always interested in women rights. I know that the organisation called Amnesty international is trying to fight FGO, but with very little success.