Current Affairs Wrongful death. Boy's ignored 911 call

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Basher, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

After watching the news which I seldom do. This story touched my heart.

I must say it is horrible.

Parents teach children in an emergency to call for help. He watched his mother die. His call was unanswered.

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

That's ridiculous, they better fire those dispatchers and get new ones from out of city or something... if it shows Detroit's 911 system is corrupt?

I know sometimes there are prank calls to 911 but clearly the two stated in the article didn't sound like ones. Poor 5 year old! He'll be scarred for so long.. so many hours by his dying then dead mother.. I really feel for him.

3. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

There your problem is..

And if the husband was put on the phone, what would you think he'd say? "Uh, yes ma'am. I did shot my wife in the head.."?

Poor kid, I feel sorry for him. He is going to grow up not trusting cops and will never call 911 ever again.. (else, I've seen too many movies :eek:)

4. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Not at all. I do think that kid will grow up with some trauma.

Poor boy....to have something like that happen to him so early in his life...

Wrongful of those dispatchers, they'll hopefully have nightmares the rest of their lives from guilt, knowing that they ignored to save a life.

This story's got me all depressed now..

- Kaiyon

5. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

That's so wrong...

The boy was five why would he be prank calling? He wouldn't enless live is way different from when I was five. (which was not to long ago)

I think the second... the one about the woman who was shot by her husband is sadder. I mean really what is the husband going to say... 'Yeah i shot my wife, come arrest me.' you got to be kidding.

How many people have to die before those dispatchers get out and help people!!! This is their job... isnt? Why can't they do it?

6. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

It is, or should be a criminal offence for a 911 operator to ignore a call. I hope the lady that answered gets severely reprimanded for this- after all, it was pretty much her fault that nobody got to the mother in time to save her.

I'd think she should be charged with criminal negligence causing death, since it certainly seems that, to me.

7. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

I completely agree with u. But i think the dispatchers have to take some of the blame too It seem to me that they took along time to get there.

8. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

I didn't watch the video. It ruins me to no end when the media uses tragedy as an excuse to market other people's tears. It's mindblowing how heartless they can really be.

~~~

You have to keep in mind the sheer volume of 911 calls operators get per day, and the amount of them that are prank calls. How many 911 calls are prank calls by children every year? Adults really don't make prank phone calls to 911, so it's natural for them to have a little distrust when a kid comes on the line.

That said there was still no excuse for the operator's response. Experience comes with the job and claiming his mother has collapsed is not something a kid making a prank call would use. It's simply not funny.

The same thing goes for the woman who was shot in the head. If the call isn't coming from a pay phone then the police can handle it once they arrive and realize it's a joke. Someone ignoring a claim like that is inexcusable. Asking for the husband simply shows incompetence.

They need to sit down and have a talk with thier operators.

~W

9. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Apparentily there is a law in Michigan where the operators can't get sued. I think they should change it. Both should spend time in jail. They have no excuses for it. What is in the harm of checking on a phone call?

10. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

And some people called like THREE times... its time to do something people!!! *very mad at people* and why would he call from his house were he can be tracked down by the phone#!!! HE WOULDNT!!!

11. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Though a life is not equivalent to anything, I think filing for only 1 million dollars is too little for such situation.

Prank call or no, they have a duty to fulfill, and it ends up being a prank call, oh well. But I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's not like it's that expensive to go somehwere.

-Seishin

12. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

This really is disturbing. It shows not only the laziness of the police and the fact that a 5 year old doesn't even know what a prank call is. If a 5 year old calls, it shouldn't be taken ligtly. A 13 year old is more likely to call the police on nothing than a 5 year old. Really disturbing.