Video Games Xbox, or PS2?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by animefreak, Feb 11, 2004.

1. animefreak

animefreak New Member

PS2 ownz the Xbox becasue it has more RPGs. RPGs are just about the only thing worth playing. Therefore making the PS2 better.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

That's a high assumption you're making. To you the only thing worth playing is RPGs. To many others, action games or sports games or adventure games or shooting games. It's really a matter of other people's perspective.

To me, an XBox is a COMPLETE entertainment system. Watch DVDs with a fast DVD player, rip music so I can load them into the 'Box, play games, etc etc. My PS2 is pretty much delegated to gaming. The 'Box I use everything for.

Overall, I use the Xbox more. It's faster, it's quiter (to me, it seems), and I use it more. The PS2...well, when I want to play RPGs (which is a lot of the time), then I'll use it. But only then, really.

Oh, and your sig is too big.

3. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

There was a very VERY similar thread in the video game forum, and I think it got out of hand, if I remember correctly.

As for my choice... GameCube. Because it wins.

4. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I personnally perfer the Gamecube. Its the only one I own.
    I like action games more personnally, sometimes even sports.
    But sad as it is im highly addicted to PIKMIN and i dont know why.

5. animefreak

animefreak New Member

Thanks for informing me.

6. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

this is not a debate so much as it's a question meant for the gaming boards. moved accordingly.

7. Novus

Novus Gone

Get a PC. You get a greater variety of games.
    My PS2's laser has died twice in the last year. Isn't that ridiculous? Seriously, I'm never buying a piece of Sony hardware again.
    And the X-Box, well, same problem there, except sometimes they don't work right out of the box. Merry Christmas, here's a big piece of plastic. X-Box gets games the PS2 got the year before, or titles that are released on every major system, or titles that the PC will get sooner or later as well. Furthermore, it has an unnecessarily large controller.
    Of course you can't get much worse than Gamecube's.

8. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

I know I already posted my response, but I just had a question: Why is it that whenever these types of threads pop up (and it's not just here), GameCube is usually excluded? You're either saying it's obviously much better *wink* or much worse. I just wonder why. It's in the same league, and it recently beat out the PS2 for monthly sales (monthly mind you, overall PS2 whips every console in existence put together). Many of the games are on all three systems, true, but it also has a huge selection of original games. Not all of them are Nintendo products, either; Viewtiful Joe, for example, was a Capcom game exclusive to GCN that won all sorts of awards, as well as being one of the best games of 2003.

If it has to do with the alledged "kiddy image", I have no idea where this came from. Okay, Pikmin and possibly Zelda: the Wind Waker I can see as "kiddy games", or games specifically directed at a younger audience, but Nintendo is aiming for a larger audience anyway. And if those games really don't appeal to you, there's always the adult-oriented games: Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, and Metroid Prime are just a few examples.

I can understand not liking it for not having a DVD player, but in all honesty, do you by a $299 X-Box with playing DVDs in mind, when there's a $69 DVD player right next to it?

Okay, I'm done ranting.

9. Novus

Novus Gone

Gamecubes are forever going to be classified as childish, I am afraid. Nintendo designed the thing to attract younger audiences. They've admitted to that. If they wanted to attract serious "mature" gamers, they would have included online support, because that's the trend in multiplayer games. They are still thinking of kids going over to a friend's house and crowding around a TV screen to play the latest Mario (or Pokémon or whatever kids play these days). I read an interview with some official from Nintendo's marketing department or something like that in a magazine months ago, and he commented that they made it kind of look like a lunch box. I'm sure the bright colours are a factor as well.
    But I'm going to stop the marketing talk now ... I'm going into business mode again.

10. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

It DOES support online gaming. Recently, there was a program-type-thing released called "WarpPipe", which is basically like a DSL connection to other GameCubes to allow online gaming. PSO (Phantasy Star Online) was the first online game for the system, and true, there haven't been many more, but this is mostly due to game developers not coming up with more online games for the system.

Though I will admit that the part about mostly marketing to young'uns is true, it doesn't make it any less great.

11. Novus

Novus Gone

Okay, I take back my previous statement. They do have online gaming. It just sucks. The developers would make the games, or at least port them to GC, if the market was there, but I'm not going into a speech about demographics again.
    And it still looks like a lunch box.

12. jindo

jindo New Member

They're both great systems... although at the moment I'd have to pick PS2 over x-box in a long run. With more variety genre of games makes PS2 more popular than the x-box. Not to mention PS2 with HIGHLY addicting games like... "Minna no Golf 4." :sweat: