Debate Yes Or No For Euro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Teddz, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

On the 14th September, Sweden will vote for the Euro Currency to replace our "Kronar". So the question is simple:

Yes or No for Euro?

- T

2. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

We must all use Pesos.

Seriously though, the Euro isn't a bad idea. A unified currency isn't a bad thing.

- Ark

3. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

There's good and bad. This summer, it was great to use the same currency in Germany, Belgium, Holland etc, and no fun to go to Denmark and England and have to use Kroner and Pounds.

BUT, in Germany, everything is more expensive than it used to be. People there say (and I would agree) that often things are now the same price in Euros as they used to be in Marks, ie twice as expensive. It's not all that bad, but everything is a bit more. The only thing that hasn't gone up is wages.

Switching currencies is just an excuse to raise prices. In Sweden say, if something costs 2.99 kroner but will cost 3.52 euro (dunno bout the exchange rates, this is just an example) after the switch, you can bet it will be bumped up to 3.99 euro.

The Euro hasn't been dragged down by the Lira as much as I would have thought, and is rather strong, but I wouldn't like the idea of a price increase. I bet Sweden follows Denmark's lead and votes NO on the euro. I would too.

4. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I'd have to say "No." To me it seems like you're stripping a country of a piece of its history, or at least an important cultural icon. (Is that right? I know it sounds cool, but it might not be right... ^_^; Heh.) I have always liked the thought of traveling to foreign countries and having to use different currency. It's, like, part of the experience. It may be tedious (I've never done it before), but it seems like a lot of fun. ^_^;

I hope they vote NO. I would. ^_^

5. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Well from my first hand experience with the euro, it being my countries currency, I don't think it's too bad. The transition was fairly painless for pretty much everyone, and most people adjusted better than I thought they would. Also, it is very handy for when you're going to other countries, and it's good for trading with outside countries(but that wouldn't really affect the average joe). Most places do mark up the price somewhat, but it's not all that bad, and it'd probably happen anyway. Although, Ireland is already so expensive that you'd hardly notice.

6. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

I say yes because if europ money will be the same name and price that will easier for the tourist like someone is going to sweden then he will go to france he don't need to change money in the airport and waste him self some time. my words say:YES.

7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

sounds to me like one further step to the 'One World Order' ..:dizzy2: anyways the pro side sees that theres the convenience factor. the united feeling factor, but I agree with Stardust that getting rid of a country's currency is throwing away a part of that country's culture and uniqueness.

8. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I don't live in Europe, but I still don't like the Euro. For months I kept getting junkmail from companies advertising it!

Seriously, I don't know much about the Euro. But if it causes price jumps like how you folks say it does, then I guess I'd be against it too.

9. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Well...The votes have been counted and the results are:

YES: 41%
    NO: 56%

So it will take an additional 5 - 7 years to request Euro again.

- T