Video Games Your Best RPG??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Yuna, May 6, 2002.

1. Yuna

Yuna New Member

Rate your Best RPG's from one to five...

here is my list:
    1#Final Fantasy X
    2#Final Fantasy 8
    3#Grandia
    4#Tales of Phatansia
    5#Final Fantasy 6

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

For anything to make my top 5, it had to be so enjoyable to me that from the instant I got it up to the instant I finished it, nothing else was on my mind. A good RPG immerses me, and hours later, I find it hard to stop!

#5 - Super Mario RPG - Short, somewhat plot lacking, but it was damn good while it lasted.
    #4 - Final Fantasy VII - I wanted this one ever since I first saw it at a friend's before I had Playstation. When it came out for PC, I upgraded my computer just to play it. It did not disappoint. :)
    #3 - Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire - A very climactic ending to a very superb PC RPG. Great visuals, good puzzles, not to mention taking Quest for Glory to the extreme!
    #2 - Final Fantasy IX - It combined all the best elements of the previous final fantasies, polished them up for the new styling, and gave a pretty interesting story to boot! Viva Vivi!
    #1 - Lunar: Silver Star Story - What can I say? Excellent plot, intriguing characters, some challenging fights, and anime cutscenes... the only downside to this one is that even after 30 or 40 hours of play, you don't want it to end!

Just Missing the Cut- Earthbound, Final Fallacy, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy IV, Grandia, Quest for Glory, Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness, Lufia 2, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, Phantasie, Return to Krondor, Shining Force, Shining Force 2

3. Ak1t0

Ak1t0 New Member

1. XENOGEARS
    2. Lunar Silvar Star Story
    3. Lunar 2
    4. Final Fantasy X
    5. Suikoden 2

4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Final Fantasy X
    Valkyrie Profile
    Xenogears
    Chrono Cross
    Threads of Fate

well, I haven't played many games, I seem to play them and get bored or something and then never play them again.. maybe I'm just busy or the bros were on the PSX too much. well now, FFX is keeping me pretty intrigued. The games is soo beautiful and amazing! of course.. there was somehting about Valkyrie Profile that grabbed me.. I dunno. Maybe it was how I didn't let my brothers play it, then beat it, then ruin the whole thing for me. then oh.. maybe thats why I didnt play much games...or beat them for that matter... I have to find time to play!!!

5. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Well,here's my top five...I won't be as verbose as BMS,as I could never be as eloquent...

#5 - Final Fantasy IV
    #4 - Final Fantasy V
    #3 - Wild ARMs 2
    #2 - Star Ocean: The Second Story
    #1 - Xenogears

InuYasha - if you want to know why,let me know....

6. alkhoon

alkhoon .: G.Heyer is my life :.

my favorite RPGS!

1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Xenogears
    3. Skies of Arcadia
    4. Final Fantasy X
    5. Star Ocean

:D

7. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

1. Final Fantasy VII. I just love it.
    2. Deus Ex. On the PC.
    3. Baldurs Gate II. Getting tougher to choose.
    4. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. If you'd call it an RPG.
    5. Final Fantasy VI. Yeah, I like square.

8. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Uwe? Final...Fallacy? Is that about someone who dies from using too many logical fallacies?

InuYasha - I just hope it's not a hentai game...oh wait,that would be Final Phallusy...

9. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Haven't played all that many, but I helped a friend with Heavy Metal II (it has something else I can't remember in the title..). It had a great plot and it was just hauntingly beautiful. (We installed it on one of the school's computers...hehe)

I personally enjoyed Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but that's probably just me because I don't get around much. ^^; Now, if someone were to give me a Magic Knight Rayearth RPG, I'd love it to pieces, because the series itself was like an RPG. (Fuu and Umi said so, too! ^^)

*feels like a rookie*

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Inu: For Final Fallacy, check out:

Spoony Bard

It's a great (but sadly discontinued) RPG that was made using RPG Maker 2000 (which my own RPG is being developed on ;)). It's very entertaining on many different levels, and the humor is just perfect for any seasoned RPGer! Check it out, it's free!

Phox: There was a Rayearth RPG for Super Famicom. If you're into the emulation scene at all, I believe you should be able to track down a translation patch and ROM to try it out. It was so-so in my opinion, but I've never seen the Anime...:)

11. dack

dack New Member

some of the greatest rpgs were made on the snes
    final fantasy 4,5,6. tales of phantasia. Terranigma. Breath of Fire 1,2. Seiken densetsu 3(a.k.a sectret of mana 2). Secret of mana. Chrono Trigger(greatest fpg of all time). Zelda a link to the past. Lufia 2. Super mario rpg. Dragon warrior series.
    Earthbound. Harvest Moon. Romancing saga 3.
    There were a number of great anime rpgs like Dragonball z: Legand of the Super Saiyn, Tenchi Muyo rpg, Slayers rpg, Sailor Moon: another story, 3X3 eyes(cant find a translation).

On the genesis(or megadrive if you like) there were Phantasy Star series(4 being brilliant) and Shining force. There are more but cnat think of them now.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

I find it very hard to say my favourite all top 5 but ill give it a go anyway
    1.Chrono Trigger
    2.Final Fantasy 7
    3. Final Fantasy 6
    4.Seiken Densetsu 3
    5:Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    6: Zelda a link to the past

12. Megami Owa

Megami Owa Guest

5 - Parasite Eve - Didn't beat this one, but the graphics and story were pretty good in it. I like it how they mixed biology and evolution into the storyline too. Ironically, this game takes place in New York City where I happen to live(I live in Brooklyn to be more precise, about a few miles from Manhattan) and the main character's name is my nickname. o_O Oh my.

4 - Final Fantasy IX - Woo, now this definetly puts VIII to shame. I like the story alot, and the character designs were very keen, especially on Kuja.

3 - Chrono Trigger - Talk about addictive, this game is easier to get hooked on that a bathtub of caffeine. The graphics may not be all that, but the story -definetly- is worth it. And Janus, Magus, Alfador and Schala rock. :p

2 - Valkyrie Profile - This game is majorly sad, but majorly good. I like Norse mythology, so I got a kick out of this game to the fullest. The graphics were a mix of 2D and 3D, which was pretty impressive. Did I mention the music by Motoi Sakuraba is beyond awesome? However.. the voice acting is horrible. x_x Bleh.

1 - Final Fantasy VII - First RPG I've ever played and beaten. Definetly kicks *** when it comes to story, characters, battle system, musc, etc.

13. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

1. 'Tis a tie between Final Fantasy VIII and X because I haven't finished X yet, but it's quickly up there. We'll see when I actually get the PS2 fixed so I can play it again.

2. Final Fantasy III because Sabin looks like Ranma and he does the Hiryuu shoten ha...and the story was great.

3. Suikoden, lots of characters! 108!? That and the runes look really cool and the story is pretty good.

4. Chrono Trigger with it's multiple endings and music and fights and...

5. Parasite Eve, because I don't know if PS2 counts as even a semi-RPG...

Terranigma was a *GREAT* game. That has got to be one of the tops...and it was great to see "Legend of Gaia" again. And I do agree, lots of great games came from the SNES.

Dammit, forgot another one...Star Ocean EX was good too!!!!

14. Nic Wolfwood

Nic Wolfwood New Member

My Top 5

Here goes my top 5:

5. Final Fantasy VII. There is some major contention about this game among hardcore Jap RPG'ers, with arguments against the effect it had on the market. Whether the result of Final Fantasy VII was to have brought a slew of mediocre cash-in Jap RPG's to the western market or not, you can't judge this game without playing it. With it's great story, okay score and brilliant characterisation its a winner for me.

4. Grandia. Breath takingly large game with a real adventurers spirit to it, the game makers choice to make it a light hearted and fun game gave the serious nature of games like Xenogears an important contrast, to avoid blurring all these modern RPG's into essentially the same game. It took a while to complete this, but it was worth it. It should have come out on the US and UK Saturn, that it didn't I'll always resent.

3. Chrono Trigger. The brilliant combat system was enough to merit this games appearance in my top 5, coupled with it's engrossing storyline and excellent music, I was hooked from the off. I haven't had a chance to play Chrono Cross, but I doubt it could live up to it's great predecessor.

2. Skies of Arcadia. While the Dreamcast only had two other half-decent RPG's (Shenmue and Grandia II were good, but flawed), this little gem was a awesome and inspiring as it promised to be. This proved that Sega (overworks) was still up there with the best regarding RPG's. The array of extra things to do and the great plot line, along with the brilliant sense of exploration and music made this easily one of my favourite overall games of all time.

1. Phantasy Star I. I can't help noticing the lack of mention of this awesome title on the current crop of fav. RPG lists. If you haven't played this beauty yet I recommend downloading it from a Master System Rom place. If you can look past the graphics (actually they're very good for their time) then you'll soon see an excellent plot line with memorable music in a massive sprawling, multi-world game. Simply the best, most simple and utterly brilliant RPG I've ever played and the one that got me into RPG's (I was 10)

15. Kyo_Masaki

Kyo_Masaki New Member

Mine are too many x.x its so hard to choose but since i have to they would go like this...

1: Terranigma

WOO! My favourite rpg of all time! It has the best storyline in it! Ark was such a cool hero, I had a crush on Meilin :shy3:, and the music is some of the best I've heard in an rpg.... The town develpment was my favourite part... twas a shame about NeoTokyo... that city was cool

2: FFX

I've only had it for about two weeks... but I'm still going strong! The graphics.... well they speak for themselves. The battles I like much better then the previous installments, and I think the Shpere Grid is the best form of character development I've seen.... now you can have true mages and true fighters. the characters are neat too.... Rikku is so cute! She calls Yuna Yunie! Auron is Bruce Willis in disguise, and Wakka has the best vioce.

3: Star Ocean 2

Another Enix masterpiece, My favourite real time rpg next to Terranigma. I loved the characters, as usual I had a crush... on Rena (damn cute sprites) The Skill system is terrific, making you own items and weapons.... ah customization.... something every rpg should have

4: Chronotrigger

You can't be a rpg fan and not know about this game. One of Square's best rpg's.... Everything about this game kicked... the music, battles, characters, the (apparently) 82 endings.... everything was so amazing. I really want to try the PSX version... just for Toriyama's FMV's. they look so much better then DBZ

5: The Breath of Fire series

I know its not one game but they are all equal in awesomeness. I've played all of them, and own 1,2 and 4. These are some of Capcoms finest works. The minigames I thought are some of BOF's finest attributes. Fishing, hunting, making you own fairy village, The town building in BOF2.... Minigames everywhere you turn in BOF4... ah so much fun. Then there was other parts that made this series one of my favourites, such as the Gene Splicing in BOF3 and Shamans in BOF2

then theres the others that are just as good but I left out

The rest of FF (FF8 being my favourite from those)
    Secret of Mana series
    Secret of Evermore
    Legend of Dragoon
    Earthbound
    Tenchi Muyo RPG (I love Tenchi Muyo, so.. its only natural)
    Legend of Legaia
    Harvest Moon series (Such a cute game! Who knew farming could be so much fun?!)

16. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Final Fantasy 10
    Final Fantasy 7
    Final Fantasy 8
    Skies of Arcandia
    Tale of Destiny
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Grandia 1
    Grandia 2
    Rhapsody

17. Musashi

Musashi New Member

All of the Street Fighter games (not inc. EX1 and 2)
    All of the FF games
    The Bouncer (only play once though)
    Mario Party 1-3
    Fuzion Frenzy
    Halo
    Legacy of Kain 1+2
    Soul Reaver 1+2
    Morrowind
    Everwinter Nights

18. c0ke

c0ke New Member

I don't think these games are RPGs