Japanese Your name in Japanese

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jedimdo, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I was looking on the internet for my name in japanese, not only it's japanes pronunciation, but the japanese words with the same meaning, and I found this wonderful page:

Names in Japanese @ takase.com

There are many ways to write your name in japanese: romaji, hiragana, katakana, and the best, kanji. All that thogether with your name's meaning

So, my name is David (Beloved [By God]):
    deibiddo
    でいびっど
    デイビッド
    最愛 (Kanji, means 'Beloved')

Look for yours! (You'd need japanese fonts to see the page correctly)

2. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

Speaking of which, where do you find Japanese fonts?

And, on a side note, unless your name is Japanese you don't write it out in hiragana. Just thought you might like to know. ^^"

3. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Realisticly your suposed to write all western/american based words in Katakana. Which was a more racist type thing created around WW2. Along with Romanji. Romanji is for all foreign words adding sounds that the typical Japanese language doesnt contain. Ussually used when translating Japanese to the latin alphabet. Technically you can write it in Hiragana, but you could say its not correct. You cannot write it in Kanji. If I am not mistaken that is for Japanese names or words only. It is not possible to right American names or words in it. It is not an Alphabet. When that website says they can write it in Kanji, they mean the "Meaning" of your name. (Ex: Raymond, Protector - Hugo)

Here is a link to Japanese fonts. Im not sure how accurate they are. The most accurate would be on a Japanese key board or something of that sort.

4. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

Hmmm.... I don't think I'm going to argue with you at this point. Maybe later. :p

Even though I can't use thee fonts(they're for Macs, and I don't use them), thanks for the link.

5. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

If you use WinXp, then you can install them at 'Language and Regional Settings' in the control panel. Go to the second tab and enable something like 'asian languages support', that should be enough. (You'll need the WinXP CD)

And I DO know. But that's not an obligation.
    Of course you cannot write your REAL name 'correctly' in japanese. you could get an aprox in the pronunciation.
    Few notes:
    Hiragana, Katakana, Romaji, Kanji + Hiragana are writting systems in japanese, all of them are acceptable. Romaji is mostly for foreigner who don't want to learn the most 'complicated' systems and for pre-learning them too. Japanese people like to respect people from other countries and their languages too, as their own. That's why they use katakana for foreign languages, I don't see anything wrong with this.

Most western names don't have meaning now, they're just taken from other languages as latin, greek, arameic, etc. which have the real meaning. You can translate your name and get your equivalent japanese name

6. elvenscout742

elvenscout742 New Member

Yeah, that's what this site does. I took it one step further by coming up with a theory as to what my surname means (coming from the word "subtle", meaning sly or cunning) and writing that in kanji:
    Ian Suttle
    イアンサットル
    神恵狡

7. shinigami

shinigami The Dark Prince

japaness

Here is mine in japaness I know how to do romazi some what

Steve suti-bu Crown, oukan this translation may not right :confused: I think so says my mom she is japanese
    but im usally called chibiru around the house means little devil but there is another translation don't know what it is same spelling means little **** i think
    chibi-ru i believe this is right not to sure if not sorry

8. LilyRose

LilyRose Pocky Junkie

My name is lucy; ru-shi in japanese, meaning light/hiraki

9. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

well my names kaitlyn and it means pure, it also mean pure in latin

10. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

My real name is Karrie. It means love. Strange.

11. Fushigi Rockna

Eh...I wouldn't listen to some of those sites...they're not very...reliable... (then again, i didn't visit the site, caue I already know the answer to this question...)

My name, Lynsey, is said Rinshii in Japanese, as I was told.

And also (this is what I thought this thread was about XD) my name means 'Linden Trees' so my name in Japanese with the equalivant meaning would be Rinna, the kanji in Rinna reading 'Tree' and "where" (actually this is meaningless kanji that USED to mean "where")

Yes, very similar to Rinshii.

12. ToKoYaMi

ToKoYaMi New Member

I go by Mitsuko....

depending on the characters used to represent the name, it can mean shining child or child of the beautiful harbor.....

13. Fujimiya Aya

Fujimiya Aya New Member

14. Fushigi Rockna

WHAT!? O_O

Dude, I have never seen the name Aya spelt with the characters for Woven Silk. o_O Usually you get the characters for 'Colorful' in Aya...

That's the thing with Japanese names, they can't mean only one thing (well they can but...). It all depends upon the kanji used to write the name....

And the characters usually used in Aya are:
    'Sub/Asia' (the character does not mean 'Asia', it means 'sub', it is used in writing 'Asia.' Treat this 'a' as meaningless)
    + Arrow
    Colorful
    'Sub/Asia' + Night
    'Sub/Asia' + Colorful

but i supposed if they could, some pretty screwed would try to write Aya as 'Woven Silk'...but I highly doubt they even would consider it. -_-

15. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

I already knew my name came from the word laurel... I much dislike the romaji ro-ra though... hmm gekkeiju

16. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

Yay! Seems to me that I'm a palm tree! Now, that would be a different nick, "Tammy no palm tree"! LOL!!!! :D :D

17. Takamatsu1986E

Takamatsu1986E New Member

I R TEH ETERNAL KING!!!!
    sorry, had to. erikku, eternal king.

18. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

LOL! I am sooooo jealous!!! Maybe you should change your nick name! Takamatsu Eternal King, or Eternal King Takamatsu!! LOL! Just kidding! :) :)