Recreation Your Name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Novus, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Novus

Novus Gone

Alright, a simple question, stemming mostly from one of my numerous linguistic obsessions.
    Your name, nickname, that is, the one you use on this site, how do you pronounce it? I think words verbally when I read them (if you can understand that, anyway), and I'd like to know if I'm thinking them properly.
    To tack a more mainstream idea to the end of that, what's the significance of your nickname, if you don't mind sharing?

To begin with, mine's really simple. "No-vus", kind of like "No fuss" but with a V sound. It's Latin, it turns out, meaning new or fresh.

2. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

My grandma was doing TaiChi and she tried tried to teach me once and my dad (VinceA) made a joke and then I stared to use the Name ChiOverlord in differnt places starting with StarCraft

3. Kamui

Kamui X//1999... best anime eva

Well... mine should be pronounced... (Kam-we)... thats how it should sound when you say it... and Kamui is the main character in the X/1999 manga/series/movie... and he is really cool.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

Well... mine should be pronounced... (Foo-mah)... thats how it should sound when you say it... and Fuuma is the second main character in the X/1999 manga/series/movie... and he is really cool. He is basically "Dark Kamui"

[edit] i also chose it to compete with Kamui [/edit]

5. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

My name is pronounced bah-FEEZH-uhm.

6. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I've heard some weird pronunciations of my name, but the real way to say it is 'Mee-ko Takashi'. It may look strange, but I just like vowels. If you really want to say it right though, it's more like 'May-koh Takashi'.

7. Dark_Dreams

Dark_Dreams New Member

My nickname is exactly what it looks like. It comes from my esp. Half the dreams I have come true. Weird huh?

8. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

mmmm...interesting...

a more interesting question: how do you guys read my name? (non latinos only^^)

9. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

o_O i usually say your name Chay-Joe haha looks funny to me now...

10. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

lol...thats what i thought n_nUUUUUU

it is pronounced(Novus, please correct me if i'm wrong) Cheh-ho, not sure tho...:)

11. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

That's a pretty clever way of spelling the pronunciation! (I would've said it's pronounced "kah-moo-ee").

My name is a combination of seraph/seraphim (the highest order of Christian angels) and sphinx (the mythical Egyptian creature having a lion's body and human head, later adopted and modified by Greek mythology). I guess you can figure out for yourself what kind of combination those two words can bring. For me, I just thought it was a clever way of joining two kinds of beings. (Turns out that I wasn't the first to "invent" seraphinx though.)

I pronounce it "seh-rah-finks,' sometimes with the letter r slightly rolled, like in Asian languages.

12. HeavyPowerMetal

HeavyPowerMetal New Member

Well my name doesn't have any hard pronouncation, just say these three words Heavy Power Metal

13. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Sew-Zew. Means bell in Japanese. Usually the nicknames I pick for myself always start with the letter S. Skuld, Sayuri, Sakura.

14. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

It's like saying Tedds. But using a Z instead of S.

- T

15. Novus

Novus Gone

Ahh, isn't Spanish fun? That looks about right to me.

16. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Chejo; I usually pronounce the "Ch" with more of a "Sh" sound... like "Sheh-ho".

My original nick, ArkAnjil, was just random, something that popped into my head, though I later changed it to this as to give recognition to the one character in Final Fantasy VII that gets little to no recognition when he derves much, much more. Zack.

17. megume

megume New Member

me.gu.me very hard no twangs and all that.

heck, i dont know why i choose this nick, the longer it and i accompany each other-the more i hate it but oh well...im stuck with it

18. Novus

Novus Gone

Are those vowel sounds short or long?

19. Fushigi Rockna

Wouldn't Megume be prounouced May-Gu-may? i know it's from Kenshin and in names like Tamahome, and other great Japanese names, that me (or anything ended with an e really) is prounouced may (ke = kay, ne = nay, se = say etc.)

Kakaka, my name? Depends. Do yuo wnat to be 100% techinical Japanese or not? :p

Well if you don't wnat to be 100% japanese, it would be prounouced Fu-si-gi Rock-na. :p

But if you wnat to be techinical... say it HU-si-gi Rock-na.

I got corrected on this soooo many times ><; I always thought it was FU-shi-gi, but then I was told that the 'Fu' is accutally Hu (in exception of soem words like Fuu, and such). Appartently Fushigi has a really weird english spelling...

If you don't believe me, I reccomend finding the Fushigi yuugi opening theme song. At the end they say the title, Fushigi Yuugi, and you hear 'HU-SI-GI YUUUUUUU-GIIIIIIIIIIIIIII' :p That was just the clencher for me to believe what i was told. ><

Use whichever you like Fu-si-gi or Hu-si-gi. i honestly used Fu-si-gi for like a whole year before I was told the truth so I still cna't get over the habit. :p

20. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

mmmm...i would say its MEH-GÙH-MEH, japanese is readed in the same way we read spanish, exept for the "H" i think.