Video Games Anime RPG's

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Suzu, Oct 18, 2001.

1. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I heard Xenogears was dropped from the North American markets due to low sales, like what happened here in Canada to Earthworm Jim 2 back in the 16-bit days. You can scream controversy all you want, but the censors don't have that kind of power, not yet, anyway. For example, N64 has a game about a squirrel getting wasted, or something like that. And then there's Final Fantasy Tactics, which is all about a world in which the Church is run by a corrupt group of priests who want to take over the world, kind of like the Spanish Inquisition, but with magic and Chocobos. Oh yeah, and they always argue about whether or not God exists too.
    Only the publisher can really call a game off the shelves. The stores can refuse to sell it, but it's usually just Wal-Mart that drops 'em, and you can still get them elsewhere, if for a higher price (curse those pseudo-ethical cretins!). So, if you think Squaresoft is the type to drop a game because of a little controversy, than they aren't the pioneers of gaming I thought they were.

------------------
    SUPER NOVA GOES POP!

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

"Come to me dark warriors, battle awaits!"
    "No mercy!"
    "Was I of any help?"
    "Divine Assault: Nibelung Vaselti!"
    "Was it good for you?"
    "Impudent!"
    "Finishing Strike!"

Not really one of my favorites, but Valkyrie Profile has kept me amused enough. It seems more of a character building sim at most times than an RPG...but then again, there was that fun romp up the tower of Lezard...

BakaMattSu, hates those self-destructing Lightning Balls...!

4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

me thinks they are called Will-O Wisps... anyways some characters are very annoying, like the 'Was I of Any Help' dude, LLewelyn. Anyways I hardly use him cuz his attacks are puny. But some characters like Jun, did some good jobs. I like how you can recruit a character and its up to you to train him/her for a certain job needed for in ValHalla/Asgard.

A good thing about the game is you don't need to play with all your characters. I remeber in FF8 when I was hardly using Selphie and Zell..man was a scared %$#@%less when the gropu was split up in the Garden and I had to fight with only those two...0_o

I mucked up more than half-way in Valkyrie Profile, so I'm getting the 'B' ending, my questions will not be answered until I play for the 'A' ending. (Have to play in Hard Mode to get all the dungeons and plenty of more characters)
    I think I really like the game for all those little things I had to figure out, then knew when I got the Players Manual.
    Llewellyn, Mystina and Arngrim could have never really have been sent by Valkyrie to fight in Asgard because their positive characteristics were far and few. But Jun had a hero level of 250+ or something and he was an expert in everything that was on the list.

The game became so much more enjoyable with the guide.

note: Xenosaga reminds me of Candidate For Goddess, as well the computer animation is in the style of anime.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

[​IMG] Llewellyn? Hee Hee, I've already trained him and sent him to Asgard where he's doing quite well thank you very much [​IMG]

It's mostly a matter of taking the good artifacts to soup up your crew...

BakaMattSu, hoping to find a new Skill, since Valkyrie'sjust about out of things to learn (they're all maxed...)

6. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

okay, Llewelyn was used as a picture example of the characters in Asgard, so he can be sent up, just didn't care for him. Anyways, I'm happy to say I got the Valkyrie Profile Material Collection. The two books have awesome work in them and tons of character sketches. A favourite would have to be a tender moment between Lucian(Lucio) and Lenneth. Theres also a cool pic of Yumai as a mermaid and a large image of Lezard Valleth in his study. beauty beauty beauty. But I also get humor which is found quite a bit in the manga. Lenneth Valkyrie uses a cell phone to communicate with Freya, and one add for the card game had her burning a card and using that to puff on her cigarette. then she karate chops Lezard and Arngrim who try to stop her....lol....
    the book also shows the 'true' names of the characters. for example, Lezard is 'Lizard', but the ultimate would happen to be Jelanda's, which is 'Geraldo'.

7. Digital Tilmitt

Digital Tilmitt New Member

What emulator sited did you get those games from?

------------------
    'You look like a bear wearing a marshmallow!' - Aeris

8. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I got them from fantasyanime.com..

here is the direct link Fantasy Anime saves you the pain of typing it...

[This message has been edited by Skuld (edited 11-28-2001).]