Debate Are dreamers fools?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pris17, Jul 6, 2004.

1. pris17

pris17 New Member

The dictionary defines a dreamer as A habitually impractical person. But arent the dreamers of today the creaters of tommorow? Or are the dreamers hopless fools damned to dreaming their life away. Scared of the cruel and vicious world that awaits them when they wake.

2. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Well that all depends on your definition of "fools". "Dreamers" (also a word with quite a few sub-categories, but I'll be general here) are oftentimes much more upbeat and optomistic then someone more down-to-earth and often have the potential to use their (usually artistic) talents to make a profit later in life. Many poets/artists/writers etc. have probably been labeled "dreamers" as children.

Sure "dreamers" can sometimes go a bit overboard (i.e commiting suicide for the sake of your loved one because it's "romantic"), but most "dreamers" generally aren't in that position and are probably just very creative people that enjoy thinking outside the box.

So I say that's a question that can't really be answered, simply because there are too many varying situations and categories involved.

3. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

As someone who spends large amounts of time daydreaming and whatnot, I don't really see it as something foolish. Now, if that was all I did then I'd admit that it wouldn't be a very wise thing, or very productive. Dreaming with action can produce many wonderful things, but then again some not so great things depending on the dream.

4. Dante

Dante New Member

As someone who constantly daydreams, I think that most of the time, yes, it can be pretty foolish. But then again, there's a difference between dreaming and trying to make dreams reality. *shrug* Trying to make dreams reality isn't as foolish... but just idly dream is, yeah. Because you're just wasting time over something that won't happen, because you aren't taking the time to MAKE it happen, just taking the time to make it so in your mind.

5. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

to be perfectly honest, i think that if we didn't daydream then we'd all go mad. a little bit of nonsense can be very good for you!

but i only think dreamers are fools when they dream up something absolutely fantastic that could help people, but don't do anything about it.

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

We all need to daydream a bit, but not every hyper-dreamer is the creator of tomorrow.

7. AsIaNgUrL

AsIaNgUrL ~*☆Dream AsIaNgUrL☆*~

dreamers arent fools because every one dreams even the one who says that dreamers are fools dreams. they think that they dont dream and that is not true because u dream all the tine and u dun realize it
    misao

8. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

This is something that i totally agree with. Dreams that are over the top and that will never be a reality can be a bit foolish, but if it's a boring day at work then i guess it can help pass the time :anime: .
    However some dreams that a person feels strongly about can give the person something to shoot for in life, that they can make become a reality. It's these type of dreams that aren't the foolish type, and beside's if they were them everyone in the entire world would be fool's, cause lets face it everybody has a dream that they would like to aim for, no matter how small.

9. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

My opinion: NO. As Kain already said, everybody has a dream. I mean were Einstein or Nobel fools? No. I'm a dreamer, and I'm not a... sorry, I am... But as has been said, everybody has to dream, or they'd all go mad. :glazed:

10. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Well i dont think you would go mad, i dont think your brain can every completley stop working unless your dead, so dreams are the results of your brain's activity while you sleep. . .i think o_O. So i dont think you can, not dream.

Dreams ease the pain of reality sometimes. Little kids dream all the time "i want to be a Astronaut" dreams are their Imagination, to say that someone is a fool for dreaming is perposterous, your are a fool for not dreaming of something. Dreams are what make you want to continue living. And a dream you could say isnt always something you have when your sleeping, a goal, in theory, is a dream, or an idea, an invention; is like a dream. Some dreams will most definatly become reality. But just because you dream doesnt mean you have to have some awesome plan for the future, but just dream for the thrill of dreaming.

Life would be boring with out dreams, there may not have even been life with out dreams, i dont thin anything would exsist without some sort of dream. No one is a fool for dreaming.

11. Polaris

Polaris New Member

whoever said dreamers were fools is a fool themself. what we have today is all a result of a dreamer's action. nothing is more brilliant than an active, creative mind. some say that our modern world is the result of science, some say dreamers...I say both.

coming up with something great is one thing, but having the ability to do it is another. I think that most *successful* and *unfoolish* dreamers mostly dream because they have the ability to put this idea to use. this applies to artists, writers, actors, scientists, ect...basically to anyone who dares to dream. if nobody dreamed, we would be in a more primitive world and a less meaningful world. dreams are goals and ideals, idealistic goals can be made to perfection if concocted by the right mind.

needless to say, dreamers are not fools.

12. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Of course dreamers are fools. Dreams...you can only dream. But once you go after it...it becomes a goal.

1 person likes this.
  13. Polaris

Polaris New Member

you cannot start a true goal (one that will have important results at least) without dreaming first. dream is the foundation of goal. without the foundation, the building will collapse. same is with dreams and goals. you cannot prevail if you don't know what you're aiming for.

14. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

I was reffering that dreamers constantly dream and do not set thier goals. I do realize that it is the first step in creating a goal.

1 person likes this.
  15. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

What I can't comprehend is that quite a few posters on this thread seem to think it's foolish to daydream. How? Yes, it's silly to let your life slip away on impossible daydreams, but where do you think artists and writers get their inspiration? The entire point of daydreaming is to indulge yourself with fantasies that may never come true, yes, but these fantasies can also lead to inspiration and ideas that might.

16. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

One could say that it depend's in the time of day that the daydream occur's. If it's in the middle of a classroom then your going to miss something important.
    Personally i think that unless the person is thinking about how they are going to fulfil their own dreams then i think that these little daydreams are a waste of time. Think about it, when your in class and listening to some boring lecturer going on and on, are you really going to take that time to start thinking about what your going to do with your life. I don't think so, these dreams that eventually become goals take time to think over and you have to convince your self that you really want to do them.
    That is unless your an artist or writer who is always on he lookout for new idea's.

17. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

A goal and a dream are almost equvilant. A goal is something that you wish for, or want to do. You wont nessesarily make that goal. So in the long run it is no different than a dream, dreams could also be something that you want or wish for.

18. DrunkenDaydream

DrunkenDaydream New Member

indeed, dreamers may be fools. But even so, is it really bad to be a fool? You may seem like an idiot to some, but whatever they see and think may be different to you. I love to daydream, because that's part of where hope comes from for me. And hope is good, (<--hope evry1 agrees with that.) Yes, dreaming is great, foolish or not~~

19. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

i don't think that dreamers are fools. like someone said earlier, your dreams can really happen.

like when i was in like kindergarden, there was this guy that i really liked and he was like my best friend. i kinda always wished that he'd kiss me but then it really actually happened. i didn't make it my goal or anything. it just happened.

20. Kokoro

Kokoro New Member

Dreamers are fools?

Then I must be one of the biggest fools...
    Sometimes it can happen, dreamers can be fools...
    but sometimes fools know more then the wise man.

So which is better?

Also, if a person doesn't have dreams, or goals then they will be the same as the other. Dreamers are unique, making them not fools, but wise.

So,I think that dreamers can be either extreme with no flaws. They can be both fools and wise men.

Kokoro

1 person likes this.