Square Enix Best Final Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DragonSlaveVivi, Jan 14, 2004.

1. DragonSlaveVivi

DragonSlaveVivi New Member

My first RPG was Final Fantasy 9 for the Playstation, it got me into gaming and is still my favorite RPG of all time,

I just wanted to know what all of your favorite Final Fantasies are and why you like them.

(P.S. I know most of you are going to pick FF7, :dizzy: well i guess i cant stop you from saying that

2. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

There is a forum devoted to FF titles and Square games in general.. that's th 'Square Enix' forum it will now be moved there accordingly. Besides, this sort of thread has propped up before and it is to be blunt unneccessary for this. However since you are a newbie I will give you a chance, next time please check for previous topics befre posting one... (also applies in other forums as well.)

To answer your question, I will have to go for FF7 as it is the only FF i've played other than FF8. Besides FF7 is great in many aspects. One being the storyline. To me game plots are crucial for it to be a successful game, I thought FF7 forfilled that. Secondly the characters are an admireable bunch... no one in particular is 'hateable' in my opinion though I believe Yuffie is often voted as the outcast by many. Thirdly the music... Nobuo does it again... 'One winged angel' speaks for itself, truely 'classical'. Not to mention Aeris, Cosmo Canyon and Shira inc themes.

^Shen^

3. Novus

Novus Gone

VII, eh? Cloud was too whiny for my liking. But then, if you hate whiny wretches, you'd never like a Final Fantasy protagonist, would you?

Anyway, my choice is a serious toss-up between Final Fantasies I, IX and X.
    Final Fantasy for the NES was the first RPG I ever played, on loan from a good friend of mine (thanks again, by the way ;)), so there's that nostalgia factor. On the other hand, like most RPG's of the late 1980's Nintendo market, the plot was very weak in some parts, and there was no character development at all (of course, this should be expected since they let you create your own characters). Still, the classic lines like "Lupa! Lupa", "Light Warriors, you impudent fools!", "I, Garland, shall knock you all down!" and "See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come, wash your face!" make this an enduring classic.
    Final Fantasy IX has, as I've said before, my favourite cast of characters in some respects, mostly just due to Steiner's comic relief, Amarant's bad-*** renegade-ness and Vivi's old-school costume. The plot was even fun, there were minigames everywhere (Tetra Master, Chocobo Hot and Cold, for example), and the music was some of Uematsu's best. The soundtrack had heavy Spanish influences, which I enjoyed immensely, and the settings had a South American Incan/Mayan theme going on.
    Final Fantasy X was just a beautiful game. Its cinematic sequences still stand at the top of the PS2 RPG racket, rivaled almost exclusively by Xenosaga. In this game, I found even the characters I despised entertaining. Rikku reminded me of my sister, which I thought was funny. Lulu had a really positive outlook on life (that was sarcasm, by the way). Kimahri is small Ronso. Auron shared many of my personality flaws. Wakka was hilarious. Tidus was ... well, he was, let's leave it at that. And then there's Yuna. She started as an accessory character of sorts, but then became independent. That's something I always liked about these games: how the lead females always have so much character development.

Seriously, though, if you want to see the series at its finest, you have to play numbers I, V and VI.

4. Akito Tenkawa

Akito Tenkawa New Member

Final Fantasy VII i am goin with. It has a great story line and good character cast. But i still have not beatin it. It just get to hard to beat the final boss. But i have beatin FFVIII and that a good one too.

5. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Get 'Knights of the round' summon and/or Omnislash (Cloud's last limit break) and Sephy will be a piece of cake.

^Shen^

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

My favorite will always be Final Fantasy VIII. I know not a lot of people like it, but I feel the story and the characters (those that actually mattered: Squall and Laguna) were very well developed. It was also a radically different adventure, which is enjoyable. And also relies on your ability to piece things together to make a fully cohesive story...

Although, WHO exactly Ultimecia is still escapes me. She's just a random rogue sorceress, right?

7. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Yes. She was an obscure character. Other than the final battle against her , you only hear her name and is only referred as a sorcerer from the future, and although she is suppose to be the main villain looming throughout the whole storyline, like you (Izzy) she did not catch onto be that much. Quite simply because she hardly appeared.

I agree that FFVIII was swept aside in quite an unappreciated manner, which was a pity. After FFVII, VIII comes second on my list. The music in my opinion was the integral part of my picking of it as I truely thought it had a great bag of music.

^Shen^

8. sakabatou

sakabatou New Member

FFVII was great RPG it had a great storyline and characters! FFVIII was great there movie clips took it far.... cant wait to watch FFVII: Adent child the movie, which takes place 7 or 10 yrs after the game. Cause that first movie had nothing to do with any of the games. FF7 & FF8 were the best and beat them both numerous times!

9. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Did you just insult me, Shen!? o_O

Don't make me retaliate with my cheese log of death! >=]

10. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Or maybe a misinterpretation. I'm just backing my point on Ultimecia's role in the game. Nothing much more.

^Shen^

11. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I love them all actually. Every game had something that made it special

FF6 had a well developed story and an amazing villan, and great characters.
    FF7 wonderful story, really interesting, mood catching music, and funky graphical world, a wonderful tragic heroine!
    FF8 Enchanting music, amazing graphics, triple triad, interesting story.
    FF9 MUSIC OF THE HEART! Again a funky world, humour, interesting story.
    FF10 BREATH TAKING GRAPHICS, great music, great battle system, VOICE ACTING, EXPRESSIONS!

Well I hope that FF12 can combine each of these elements and create a wonderful FF!

12. toeskater91

toeskater91 New Member

i loved ffVII. i just loved the charecters and how the main boss was the same for the entire game. i also loved the chareters. i thought aeris was the best and i was sad when she died :sad:

i also enjoyed ff9. i just got dawn in. i got further in this one faster. i also like how most of them start falling in love with others. well bye.

13. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

Which final fantasy is the best?

Final Fantasy VII deafonetly. Even though the graphics suck, the characters, plot, and surroundings are made quite well. Okay so the surroundings aren´t so great, but the game is still the best one thats come out in Europe so I can´t have played any other final fantasys than VII, VI, V, IV, X-2, X, IX, and VIII. Final Fantasys are generally taken one of the best game series ever.

14. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

Heh, i've got a confession, through one reason or another, i've never physically completed a final fantasy game myself

currently i'm

Training and playing mini-games in FF6
    pure training in FF7
    File corrupted just as i saved in memoria in FF9
    training in FF5
    training in FF4
    only play when i'm in a certain mood in FF8
    Minigames and training in FF10
    I dont consider 11 or crystal chronicles to be true final fantasies
    same goes for tactics
    and i only own emu versions of the first three

My favourite is obviously 7, with 9 as second, (I was suprised to see people admitting to liking 9 here, it normally gets seriously underrated)

15. NoDa

NoDa New Member

I always loved the Final Fantasy X and X-2 games. They were the best. I loved FFX because of the action and the fuzzy love... not really, and FFX-2 for the beautiful music! But I really didn't like the battle sequences :dizzy2:

16. Nazak

Nazak New Member

I have 4 favorite FF games. Tactics, VII, VI, and IX.

Many say VII is the best, which is true at some point. If you are like me who has beaten it several times you will understand it gets boring -_-
    IX is alright because it gives you the good ol' feeling of the original FF games.
    VI as everyone knows was one of the greatest.

But my overall favorite is final fantasy tactics.... I have beaten it several times and I still have fun with the game...i dunno why... ^_^

I also play FFXI at the moment but I don't count that as the other FF's. It's an online game and it really never ends.

17. XXIXreformed

XXIXreformed New Member

My personal favorite is XI. The reasons why are generally the same as most everybody who likes XI.

However, I have heard from every one of my friends (who played the game i'm about to name off, not XI) that VI was the best. Just wanted to let you know.

18. jackking456

jackking456 New Member

i think FF7 is the best for 3 reasons
    1)it got the best ratings
    2)u can get adicted to it fast
    3)more secret ca in the game
    if you'll want pics of any FF games or the movie just e-mail me at BlackSaiyan@msn.com.

19. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

It seems one of us will have to say which Final Fantasies truly are the greatest.

First off, let me say that I strongly dislike Final Fantasies 8, 10, and 10-2. They are, in my opinion, poorly made. They focus primarily on graphics, paying little to no attention to fun gameplay (let's not forget that AWFUL junction system, or the constant battle in FF10-2) That idea made battle too fast-paced, I couldn't keep up, I was trying to select an attack, and suddenly that character (who, by the way is overly-sexified) is dead.

Anyway, I'm not going to rant anymore about them. My favorites are numbers 1, 4 and 6. Four had a truly stunning story. Even though it ended with the typical "destroy everything" final boss, the whole story is just deeply involving. Six was a great game with a fatal flaw. All of the characters were developed, interesting people, living through a very involving story. My only problem? It was too easy. And, of course, how can I not like the original? It's the only one I have yet to beat. (Except 9, which I haven't played)

Anyway, I think I'll wrap it up before you all pelt me with chunks of metal for disliking 8, 10, and 10-2.

Bye! *Runs off*

20. Dante

Dante New Member

Out of idle curiousity... well.. first and foremost, I don't blame you for not liking VIII or X-2... those were two of my least favorites (IX down there as well)... though, I noted you said X focused mainly on graphics than with a plot/story... now, I'm not THAT big of a fan of X myself... of course, I found it to be a good game (because of it's story and a lack of a true VILLAIN, but rather an almost utopian antaganist), but I found others much matter (namely VI and Tactics)... so your comment almost leads me to believe that you didn't even really play X, or at least get a good way into it.

As for IV's plot... it's really just your run of the mill RPG plot; main character is this powerful person/becomes this powerful person to stop an ultimate evil, blah, blah... the only thing that set this out from the other FF games was Kain who left you and joined you, continuously, throughout the game which actually brought it to the point in which it was just a frustration, and this is probably why I just flat out don't LIKE him. Unlike other characters throughout the different series, they were poorly developed except for the very main characters, leaving your sub-characters and rest of your party in the dust. Albeit, yes, it was a good game, but harldy for any significantly powerful plot or detailed characters.

And... I guess it must just be me because I seem to be the only one that wasn't bothered by the Active Battle System in FFX-2, something that I kind of enjoyed which bettered the typical "Choose Attack, Magic, Item, or Run! from the above options" style. Makes it more fast-paced and more, well... active. ;P I give excuse to games like FFT and Tactics Ogre for not having an "Active" system because they are more of Strategy based games.

Buuuut, that's just my opinion. :)

[EDIT] I could've swore I posted in here but I guess not... The best Final Fantasy I would have to say, in my opinion, is probably one of the ones that people don't even consider a Final Fantasy: Tactics. As far as I have seen thus far, it's one of the few games (if there are any, it escapes me thus far) in the series that have established A) A clear plot that goes deeper than the typical "Kill this bad guy, because he's so evil" idea, B) Expands on the important characters of the game, and even tells of the lesser characters (although more could be desirable of the hidden characters, though that's not to say there is no information on them, as there is), C) Incorporates a more strategic style to the battle, D) Goes into a rather nifty variation of characters considering the multiple classes, not to mention the Specialty Classes, E) Has created heroes and villains alike that can be sympathized with and learned to love, F) An exotic but believable and appropriate physical character costume design for the era displayed, and G) Part of the plot takes an open shot at religion and bases around the main character being declared an antaganist and leaves a myriad of characters throughout the game, protaganist and antaganist alike, questioning their beliefs, morals, and decisions... it might just be me but I have yet to see any other Final Fantasy game hit all of those notes. :p [/EDIT]

1 person likes this.