Debate Big Actor Wages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BakaMattSu, Jul 29, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Here's my contribution to the Debates forum.

Should actors have the right to ask for large sums of pay? There are many big names out there who pull in $20 Million per movie. Do actors earn paid sums like this, or is the wealth distribution ludricrous?

What is your stance? Remember to support your arguments with facts.

2. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Personally, I think that the money actors make is 100% ludicrous. There's no way that reading someone else's writing in front of a camera is worth multiple millions. No way.

- Ark

3. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

I think these actors from today should take a page out of the history books.

Sir Alex Guinesse didn't get any pay for doing the Star Wars movies--instead, he put in his contract that he would get an approved percentage of the gross earnings that the project would make.

Note: He said project, not movies---This man made a killing on royalties on every piece of merchandise and viewing that the Star Wars name made.

Right till the day Obi 1 passed away, he was being paid by Lucas Films. In my opinion, well worth the dollars.

Maybe todays actors/actresses should only get a % of sales. If they make a stink bomb--their wallets will show it.

Vic

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Vic,

Those "gross participation" deals are more common than you'd think.

Check it Out

Bruce Willis made $50 million extra on the Sixth Sense's $600 million-gross - a combination of his $20 million salary,17 percent of the gross and his share of video revenues.

It seems for many of these stars, even a clearcut $millon figure isn't enough. They need a share of profit, too...I think they're overpriced. Share the wealth with some of us 9-5 blue-shirts, eh?

5. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

I agree with you on the over pay issue. I didn't know that other actors put in the % clause in their contracts (must be all Star Wars Fans :) )

Maybe they should all agree to a much lessor %. Might make them work harder to make better flicks.

Vic

6. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

You guys are being really unfair to the actors. America is an unashamed capitalistic country. Knowing that, it's perfectly morally correct for actors to take those huge sums of money. A company is willing to pay them a salary for their work. It doesn't matter if that company if McDonalds or Miramax, or if the salary is twenty thousand dollars or twenty million dollars.

Of course I'd LIKE for actors to make better use of their money, but no one should be blaming star actors simply because their talents are so sought after and studios are willing to pay such large salaries.

7. Novus

Novus Gone

Personally, I view the amount actors get paid the same way I view professional athletes. It doesn't make any sense. The only contribution these people make to society is entertainment, and half the people out there can't stand them anyway. Explain to me how someone like Clooney or Kidman or Banderas should get more money than someone like a farmer who produces the food we need to survive, or the police officers who protect the common man (basically, anyway).
    The cast of Friends have, for the last three years or so, been paid over a million dollars per episode. That's more money than I'm likely to see in my life, for saying a few lines in front of a camera.
    And how about live stage? I know a lot of people who would rather watch a play than a half-assed overbudgeted sit-com or movie, but theatre actors don't make nearly what screen actors do. Probably due to the size of the audiences.

I agree that actors should get a percentage of the earnings, though. That way, they share in the success and the failures.

8. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

I wonder when humanity decided that actors were more important and deserved to be treated like royalty instead of, say, the people who teach our children, the social workers who help people repair their family relationships, the people who save lives in medicine/firefighting/police work, or just those who muster up the energy to go to a job that they hate every day so they can afford to eat. While actors and actresses are buying their fifth car or getting those $20,000 dollar "goodie bags" at the Oscars, regular people might be worrying about whether they will have a place to live the next day.

Interesting, the way things are nowadays.

9. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Come on, femme_fetale and Novus, you're being totally unrealistic. Teachers don't make movies for a country that loves movies like nothing else. Social workers don't make music that millions of people want the albums of. Doctors aren't in front of a TV camera every week, delivering funny lines that make America laugh on a consistent basis.

It's like I said before, huge corporations know that by giving actors and musicians enormous amounts of money, the average population will likely give them their back in the form of sales for movies, music, and everything else. The farmers, policemen and everyone else are paying the salaries of those entertainers by buying CDs, going to the movies, and watching TV shows. the If you want to blame someone, just don't blame the entertainers themselves. Blame the corporations, the audiences, whoever you want, but when entertainers have literally millions of dollars dangled in their faces, it's easy to see why they would become such a big target.

10. Paper

Paper New Member

I'm sure laughing is what America needs more than medicine and proper education...

The question is, do actors deserve every dollar they make? Is it right that they are being given so, so much money? It's not a matter of how come we as mankind place these entertainers on a higher pedestal than the people femme_fatale mentioned, but a matter of whether or not they deserve to be there.

I, for one, don't think that they do. Agreed, when you come home tired and need to relax, the first thing most people do is probably turn on their tv. But at the same time, are these people, the ones who relax us and make us laugh, the people who should be living in four houses with seven cars?

All in all, I don't think providing people with a few minutes or sometimes hours of false happiness should have such a great reward.

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i'm sure actors will take a huge knock in pay the same day the sports players take one.

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Funny you should mention that. Was going to be my original debate topic, but figured Movie Stars are more vivid and debatable.

Billy277: Just who's being unrealistic here?

True, teachers don't make movies for a country that loves movies like nothing else. But teachers are important for the future, educating the youth, and on occassion the older, so that they get the knowledge they need to do their job down the line. Problem is, societally speaking, the masses would rather watch some mindless action movie than learn how to equate complicated trigonometry or learn proper grammar. There's a steady increase in dropouts in the school systems, and we're arguably getting stupider as a whole race because of it.

True, doctors aren't in front of a TV camera every week, delivering funny lines that make America laugh on a consistent basis. They're in front of patients every week, tending the sick and injured - doing their best to save lives. Where actors have the pressure of producing a consistent, enjoyable role, doctors have the even greater pressure of someone else's well-being depending on their performance.

Yeah, point the finger at someone else, because it's their fault the economy is whacked. If we jumped back to the barter system, things would definately shift balance. But that's beside the point. If I read you right, you're arguing that they deserve the money because it's there for the taking?

There's a good example. I can burn a full music CD for about an average cost of 0.60, so why do I have to shell out $21.95 at a store for it? Sure, they have to pay the artists, producers, and for packaging, but it still seems a bit overpriced, no? Is that my fault, a consumer's fault? Don't think so.

13. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

BakaMattSu, I am in NO way devaluing the wonderful things that teachers, doctors and all the other jobs you mentioned contribute to society. Everyone knows that, when all is said and done, a surgeon is ten times more valuable to society than a movie star.

That said, though, you answered your own question. People like mindless entertainment, plain and simple. What's more enjoyable, learning calculus or watching a busty babe shoot the hell out of some bad guys and save the world? I didn't watch the new Lara Croft movie (And I never will), but I'm not to say that I didn't enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies, and they're among the biggest in terms of blockbuster pop movies.

You also ask if actors deserve the money because it's there for the taking. My answer is YES! That's exactly what I'm saying. Would you blame teachers for accepting an 8-figure salary for doing their job? Of course not. As such, it's ridiculous to expect actors to say, "No, I don't want to make a lot of money because my job isn't as important as other peoples'."

For CDs, however, I'm with you 100 percent, which is why I have about 2500 songs on my hard drive. :) But that doesn't have to do with the musicians themselves, but the corporations who are overcharging like mad to get more profit, and they DO deserve the decline in sales they're getting.

I just want to stress that I'm no bigger a fan of Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Connelly or any other of the horrible actors and actresses out there than you all are. What I'm simply saying is, just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean they're horrible people. It's unfortunately true that most people think more highly of them than doctors and teachers, but that's just a product of our mass-media culture, where you can't go ANYWHERE without seeing Ben Affleck's face.

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Then the surgeon arguably deserves ten times more pay.

About who's being reasonable? That's the only question I remember answering. Yeah, I guess I did. The masses are generally unreasonable people, favoring entertainment over education.

You'd have to evaluate that on a case-by-case basis. I'm sure there are some who enjoy calculus more. But generally speaking, you are right. Does that mean the busty babe deserves more money at the end of the day? It shouldn't.

You misconstrued my point. I wasn't asking the question, I was asking if that was your argument. It wasn't quite clear.

That's beside the point. The consensus is that people will take more money if offered. Is that a valid argument for them deserving it? Not really. I could offer someone $2,000 for breathing. It doens't mean thye deserve it.

But movie sales are up, and it has a smiliar markup in pricing. DVDs are far more expensive than they are to produce. Look at the profit a $100 M picture turns back.

We're not making personal attacks here. The question for debate is if they deserve the money they make. If a horrible actor does make a good amount of money, that is an argument towards saying that actor does not warrant a high paycheck.

That is unfortunate, but we shouldn't let it cloud any judgement. Does Ben Affleck's face deserve to be seen everywhere? Are actors more deserving of attention than everyone else? Should they get the pedestal-royalty treatment and fat bank balances?

15. Novus

Novus Gone

Really, if the corporate types were smarter, they'd just cut the pay of all the big actors. If every studio did it, the actors would have no choice but to just accept it.
    If offered a choice between less pay or no work, what are they going to do, go back to working as a janitor in the same studio, making minimum wage? Hell no.
    And of course, there would be the union, threatening strikes, but who really cares? I know a lot of people who are better actors than half the people out there, and are better looking to boot. They could do the same job for less than a quarter of the pay, and just be happy to be doing it at all.

16. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'm sure they'd care. Still, that's quite a picture to think on. Hollywood on strike.

The thing is, with all the money they have earned and saved, they really could easily do it, without altering their lifestyle too much.

17. Osaka

Osaka New Member

I think the reason they make so much money is beacuase they practically have the world watching them every secound. They have no private life. If you guys say that actors aren't needed, I'd like to remind you that voice actors for anime characters make alot of money as well. Without them though, they'red be no anime.

Since the topic of docters not making enough money has been over worked, I'd like to bring up another.
    That said, I'd also like to remind you that Movies are not the only form of entertainment. How about art? (Manga?) Personally, I find art more challenging than acting, but thats a different story. And If you realize something, artist make little to no money. And writers? This also aplys to danceing. Why should one form of entertainment, make more money than another?

So I agree with everyone, Actors and actress are over payed.

18. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

I, personally, would like to see an anime in the style of them old silent black and white movies where the words are just shown in a black screen with a fancy white box around 'em. That'd kick ***. :D Anyways... Yeah, some of them are over-paid... but Hell, to get to see people like Brad Pitt in Fight Club or Johnny Depp in From Hell and the likes, I dun care. :p

19. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

The only thing more rediculous than actor's wages is athlete's wages.:rolleyes:

20. Osaka

Osaka New Member

Agreed. I don't understand why knocking someone senseless *as in boxing* should allow you to make millions of dollars. I don't see how it furthers society. Besides teaching kids that: VIOLENCE IS GOOD!

please:rolleyes: