Debate Breeding restrictions on the Stupid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ark, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

So, here's a hot debate topic, fresh from the #mangatoanime chat room.

Would it be morally and socially correct to pass a law requiring that people with IQs under 95 be surgically sterilized, thus making them unable to have children? Lets hear what you guys think.

- Ark

2. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I totally agree.But then who would provide us with hilarity?Maybe we could keep a few of them fertile so that they could provide us reasonably intelligent people with the comic relief known as their lives.:p

3. sasuke_aoshi

sasuke_aoshi New Member

Intelligence is not hereditary. It is 60% genetic and 40% environment. Besdies, 50% of people have IQ's lower than 100.

I wouldn't mind, though, since it would help the common good, even though IQ really doesn'y say anything. Creativity and other things are extremely important, as well. Sterilizaing them would be sort of a discrimination. A lot of people on these forums probably have IQ's equal or lower than 95... And they;re fine. Next thing we'll say is only Mensans should be allowed to enter college...

BTW, are there any members of Mensa here? I became a member a year ago...

4. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

depends on a lot of things. If the person is retard then i saw yes. As far as being retard goes they have a higher risk to have retarded childern. They could adopt a healthy baby. The child did not ask to be in this world.
    My best friend was a risk (the doctors even said so) and yes her child is retarded. Do you know how hard it is to look at a one year old who is just learning to sit up? this BABY is on alot of meds it has a dazed look on his face all the time. This baby yells for no reason. Its hard when you realise that this child will have trouble his whole life.

If the person is retarded yes.

another thing a law should be past for women who do drugs while pregnant. Its not fair for that child.

5. Paper

Paper New Member

Heh. I went downstairs to eat dinner and I come back to see a post saying most of what I planned on saying :p One question I have though, is what exactly is the common good? To become more intelligent as a group of people so we could improve technology? I can't say I'm all for that seeing as how one of my personal beliefs is that technology, while I wouldn't be able to live without it, is bad for mankind after a certain point that I belive we've crossed.

Also, I don't think that 'stupid' people are only good for entertainment or laughs, they're people and like any other individual, they bring joy and a reason to live for to another individual.

But I can't say that I don't see the other side of things. I get that sterilizing those of lower IQ could result in a 'smarter' society and it may help with the overpopulation issue but we could always just stop having so much sex -__-;

6. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

I agree.

Where I live, Jackson, MI, there are very few people who receive an education beyond high school. There were 340,574 people in Jackson in '96. More recently, 33,051 people in the city graduated high school, and only 12.9 percent of the population attended college. Many people are, if not illiterate, hardly able to read. Considering that the population has grown since '96... that's pretty sad.

Now consider this: a lot of people in Jackson who could be considered "stupid" or "uneducated" have at least one or two kids and one more on the way. So not only do we already have a poorly educated population already, we have them continuing a cycle by having kids!

I'm all for doing something to control it, whether it's as drastic as sterilization or just not choosing to have sex as often.

7. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Sure, why not, go for it. Stupid people suck.

But then again, that would mean that I suck too, and thus that means I wouldn't be allowed to breed. :-o Though actually that's probably better for the world. Definitely don't need another me running around.

But anyways, yes, it would be nice to get rid of "stupid" people, but then again, the world would become worse as everyone would be battling their wits and intelligence and we'd all become absurd, evangelistic elitists. Not saying that there aren't already people out there like that, but it might get worse in such a case, especially when the last stupid person is killed off. Of course, this is much long-term, but meh, I'm stupid so excuse me.

8. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

That's impossible.

9. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I don't think this idea is possible. It would cause rioting of the idiotic masses, possibly causing them to hunt down "smrat" people, so that all who actualy were intelligent, would have to go into hiding and pretend to be stupid. All progress would stop, everything would go to ****.
    Also, this would make us little better than the nazis, taking away peoples rights because of something they have no control of. I hate these goddamn idiots, but there really isn't anything practical I can do about it. Only try to educate them in their folly, or possibly drive them to suicide. I guess every little bit helps.

10. Paper

Paper New Member

Nazis... I like that analogy...

I can understand DrunkLeprachaun's theory about the masses and riots. Just because their IQ isn't as high that doesn't mean that they can't think tactically or feel inferiority and act upon it. You're right, it never really would work

I'm not sure what to think about mentally retarted people. It really isn't too fair and it must pain so many people to have to watch them grow and love them and yet also know that they'll never be like the other kids. But if we were to say that, then mentally retarted people who adopted healthy babies would make the child angsty and cynical, wouldn't it?

I agree about the mother and drugs law even though that seems somewhat restricting. But at the same time I think it makes sense because if you love your unborn child, you should care enough to stay away from things that could harm it. And if you don't love that child, and couldn't care less what happened to it, you shouldn't be having that child in the first place.

Driving them to suicide is the way to go :)

11. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Damn straight.

Say you're a druggie/alcoholic/addict of some kind, and a mom to be. If your doctor tells you that you're going to screw up your kid if you keep living the way you do, and you don't care and go on anyway, you're a pretty self-centered person. I understand that it can be hard to get over an addiction, but if you don't even make the effort, I think that's rather selfish.

I've noticed the talk on mentally retarded individuals here, and in my humble opinion, I don't think mentally retarded people should be prevented from breeding. There's a difference there, you can't decide when you're born whether your brain will function the way it should or if something will go wrong. There was some study I read about a while back about mentally retarded people who have taken care of normally functioning children, and the kids actually came out better off because the adults took very good care of them and paid more attention to them than "normal" adults did, even. I just think that if they want to have kids, and they'll love the kids, then they should be allowed to. That's just my opinion though...

12. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

haha maybe I should find out what my IQ is, before I respond, eh? anyways, who am I to judge? even if I was the most intelligent being on this planet, who am I to make these decisions? I'm nobody.

13. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Selective breeding. Eugenics I think it's called. Hitler was a big fan of it. That's how he intended to spread the areans(sp?).

I mean the idea makes sense as far as bettering the human race's development, but I don't think the society that would develop out of that would be one I'd want to live in.
    It'd be like being stuck in party of Trinity(ask an Irish person) students. An eternity of conversations about society and David Grey on repeat *shudder*.

Anyway I'd be doing better in Hitler's Germany than in Ark's new world order. I qualify as arean, but smart? I dunno.

14. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

lol Hamish.

Frankly, as attractive as the idea is on a social level, it's pretty abhorrant on a personal level.

Remember, just because I hate Stupid People, doesn't mean I'll actually harm 'em. There's lots of people I hate, but I'm generally too non-violent to consider hurting anyone who hasn't attempted to attack me ;)

On the subject of Hitler, yes, he did believe in Eugenics, but the idea of Hitler's regime was to kill non-aryeans, rather than merely sterilize them. He would have, had he won the war, eventually have killed all the blacks, Jews, Asians, etc.

- Ark

15. Paper

Paper New Member

femme_fatale, I guess that makes sense in a way. With knowledge comes greed and ulterior motives... it makes sense that mentally challenged people would take care of their children focusing more on their happiness than their future and probably the child would try and support his or her family by doing what he/she can.. studying and earning money.. or am I way off?

"even if I was the most intelligent being on this planet, who am I to make these decisions?" I like that... and I think it makes a lot of sense.. just because you're smart, how does that mean you can make decisions to sterilize those with less IQ? But I doubt you're a nobody...

"the human race's development" But all that'd be developing would be technology, right? And I don't think we really need technology to improve anymore than it already has...

16. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

hahahaha thats a good one... what a minute it isn't a joke, sigh, well anyway, everybody should be allowed to have kids most should just plan it a bit better or think before deciding to have one.:D

17. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

There's a lot of people who shouldn't have kids, Raven.

A lot.

Drunkards who drink away all their money. Teenagers who just want welfare. Drug addicts who can't put aside their drugs for the sake of their children.

These people make terrible parents, and their kids are almost always raised just as screwed up as they are.

- Ark

18. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

your right i'm sorry:( only people who are responsible and will love their kids and give them support and love.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

And yet, the hardcore liberalists tell us that its the average citizen's fault that they grow up the way they do. Since we normally are so vile and greedy, our tax money (in the US at least) has to be given to them for free so that way they can become yet another government dependent family (like we need more).

I say there should be a mob that patrols around the streets and randomly asks people to have an intelligent dialogue on any subject for ten minutes. Too many "ummms, uuuhs" and "ahhhhs", or people who are major bull sh*tters get an free ticket to whatever comes in the afterlife. You can tell a lot by the way people speak. Ignorant people, violent people and all manner of idiots have to go. Humm, just one thing I would augment. I would have to mob squads members be from the area they are patrolling since every culture has their fools, but some are hard for other cultures to identify. Thats my idea of "selective breeding", even though it has nothing to do with breeding. In fact, it would be more prudent to call it Social Darwinism.

20. Paper

Paper New Member

But if they're from the area they're patrolling, what if they have particularly dumb friends and don't want to kill them... I don't think the human race is that cruel and cold hearted... also, do you really think instant death for a low IQ would be considered 'constitutional'? Wow I can just see the newspaper headlines...

I don't think that was a particularly liberalist comment..

And next thing you know, you'll be telling us to kill off seniors..