Debate Delinquent children - how to deal with them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reisti Skalchaste, May 19, 2006.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Well, in the case of that kid from about an hour ago, I'll deal with him with a nice assault charge.

Let me say, tonight I found out that I don't like being punched in the head.

Anyway, the subject of this topic is how society should deal with kids like this. Dumbasses who think they own the world, who destroy and vandalize without thought, who attack people without reason.

I think I'm a little justified right now in saying they should just all go away until they learn how to be decent human beings.

Can I hear your guys' thoughts on this?

2. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Smack'em back and show them who's really the boss.

Trust me, there's nothing as effective as a piping hot can of A-R-S-E (Why is the actual word considered a curse word, or bad word, since evey time I had to type it, it got edited to '*'?) whooping for a kid.

Well, that, or a psychiatrist, but that actually costs money! :p

-Seishin

3. Alchemy_Dude

Alchemy_Dude is addicted to bad ideas.

Come on now, Seishin. There's a reason we have child services. In my opinion, positive reinforcement works best. Give the kid something good if he follows the rules, not something bad if he breaks them. Make them want to be good themselves.

1 person likes this.
  4. Luffy

Luffy I Can See A New Horizon

in my opinion you need to get the belt on them like this morning on the raido i herd about a 15 and 14 year that beet the crap out of the mom on MOTHERS DAY because she wouldnt buy them 100 dollar shoes they need to get smackd like you dont beet up your mom ever but especally if you do it because she wont buy you 100 dollar shoes

5. Alchemy_Dude

OKAY then. This is exactly what I'm talking about, people take physical punishment way too far sometimes. Better not to use it at all.

6. shinigami

shinigami The Dark Prince

have then spend a short time in jail that should work ina small jail cell or do what luffy said but the other people may say that is child abuse since you are spanking your kid

7. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

Im with Alchemy Dude... positive re enforcement cause both the sociological aspect of non violence to be instilled with in the child while teaching them that its a good thing to behave ad its not worth poo to be bad. I believe though, that there are ways of punishing chldren that can be linked to postive re enforcement. Like the jail Idea... that might be a little harsh but time out or maybe juvenile detention might put some hop in their step towards a better Reasoning min set. Thats what I think on the matter at least....

8. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Two words, "Kick ass" now I happen to be one of the many kids that like doing stuff like this TO people who tick me off..best way to deal with us is to beat our asses. Simple as that. No court or probation officer can insure more effectivness than that!

9. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Anyone seen one of the NEW episodes of South Park?

The one where they get a dog whisperer for Cartman?

It explains it all in safe mode!:p

-Seishin

10. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

From what you've told me, this kid sounds uber messed! I think he needs to take a little trip to a locked cell or therapist. somehow, I don't think a good old fashioned beating will make him turn around and apologize from his heart.

Most kids that are like that, are that way because they come from a life where violence is the norm. Throwing violence back at them probably wont work...and neither will talking to them nicely. That is where the law comes in and gives them a dose of reality; showing them where violence will land them without being violent in return.

BTW, every time I come on here, you have a new name! geez....can I call you Rice?:D

11. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

First off I disagree with a lot of what you all are saying.

Beating is never good. I think Luffy said the kids beat their mom up anyway.

Jail isn't always the answer. If they broke the law I could see that.

Postive reinforcement also has bad things about it. Buying things when they are good makes them spoiled. Feeding them when they are good makes them fat. I think saying "good job" is better then any of the others.

They need restrictions. They need to know they can't do what they did.

Kids/children will respond better to saying you are not allowed to touch that or etc. They touch it say it again. They touch it again. "Swat" or time out.

It is better to start when they are young when they are older it takes longer. It is never to late.

12. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

For little pricks like vandals and people who think they own the world???
    i usually beat the little ass's into the ground and show em who's boss ... basically fight fire with fire.

13. Alchemy_Dude

So much anger in this thread!

14. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Sorry but logically if you fought fire with fire you would be torched.

15. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

-.- ... not literal.
    If someone piss's you off, you show them that it's wrong by telling them? No thanks. Give em a taste of what they're dishing out.
    They will learn eventually that it's not too nice.
    Giving them a slap on the wrist and a lecture wont do that.

16. Reisti Skalchaste

There are better ways than giving them exactly what they gave you; revenge leads to greater revenge. If I'd hunted that kid down and punched him a few times, what good would it do? He'd simply have a reason then to hate me and he'd start trying to get back at me.

The way I'm choosing to deal with it- that is, through the legal system, charging him with assault, shows him that his actions are wrong, and that something like this, well, he won't just "get away" with it. It's not something he can retaliate against, and it's certainly a severe punishment- in addition to whatever the courts deal him, he'll have a criminal record, which denies him many, many priveleges that law abiding citizens enjoy.

Imagine not being able to leave the country, being barred from some kinds of jobs or memberships, from being bonded for a business, and being denied obtaining certain licences, and participating in jury duty... there's more too. All of that, because you decided you had to punch a guy in the head a few times, because you thought your fists were a better solution than your voice. D'you think you'd learn something from that? With all these doors slamming shut in your face, all these future possiblities dying on the doorstep, would you regret what you did?

I think, the justice system, although fairly lenient in Canada, still is a better measure than "fighting back." I'd like to see stiffer penalties and harder asses on our court benches, but I believe it to be the best response.

However, this is a reactionary solution. It solves problems after they've come into being, and you know what they say- an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. How can we prevent these problems from coming into being?

17. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

After a set amount of time, a criminal record is whiped clean, unless the charge is particularly severe i.e attempted murder, counterfitting money, G.T.A.

I would regret what i did, but it still wouldnt be enough to totally discourage me from doing it again. What if the assailent "knows" people etc, threats can be just as bad, and are MUCH harder to stop, eventually they will see that, and eventually it will lead to assault once again, as the antagonist learns or thinks he/she can get away with it.
    If charging them with something like assault is what you plan to do, then to totally discourage them would require a harsh punishment.
    Although i do agree that if you physically retaliate there is a broader chance that the other person will fight back, and from there things can only escalate.

18. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Psh, the only legal system I know is my own.

Cause until this goes to court and such, who knows how long it's going to take.

I say get a couple of friends like he did, and shut him up :p

*evil* XD

-Seishin

19. Reisti Skalchaste

The police have enough information now that if they spent just 2 hours of their time, they'd have him.

Either way, having a criminal record will cause him some pretty severe problems, and if it happens again as retaliation then he'll simply get a bigger one.

Besides that, if I do get attacked again, I'm more vigilant now, and I know I can legally fight back. I think the kid wouldn't be getting away as easily as he did before. :)

20. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

Yes it is, but until it is whiped clean, that person has to deal with all the lovely benefits that follows a criminal record (like Reis said). Unless that person is completely stupid, do you really think he'll try to do it again and get ANOTHER criminal record? Yes some people are that stupid, but a second charge usually results in a more severe punishment and even jail time so either way, it works better.
    Fighting back has a number of things that can go wrong. First, you might just aggrivate the assaulter even more and hey, if he's crazy enough to punch someone in the head out of the blue, don't you think he might be crazy enough to pull out a knife or even a gun if aggrivated enough? Secondly, if he's even remotely smart, he could turn the tables on you and say that YOU were the one who attacked him and then YOU could be the one potentially walking away with a criminal record.

If being charged with assault isn't enough to discourage someone, then that person WILL land themselves in jail sooner or later. It's as simple as that.