Debate Does "love at first sight" exist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kagome's Arrow, May 18, 2005.

1. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Now before I'm criticized for indulging what I (and many others, I'm sure) consider to be an indisputably ludicrous idea - realize that I'm only posting this topic in preparation for an upcoming debate on this subject in my English class - and I want to be fully equipped with rebuttles to any possible argument. So bring it on!

My theory is: The first time you see someone, before you engage in conversation or other various "get to know you" activities, you're basing your entire opinion of them on their appearance. Therefore, "love at first sight" really boils down to lust or infatuation in disguise. The only exception to this is if you've already met the person through methods of communication that don't involve sight - then it's possible to fall in "love at first sight". (Can that even be considered love at first sight? Really, it's more like "love at pre-sight". Or when you're looking at someone from the rear for the first time, "love at hindsight" XD...not serious on that one).

I discussed this with someone earlier and they just kept repeating "You never know until it happens to you", which got rather frustrating after awhile....made me wonder if there even *are* arguing points to arm myself against.

So.....debate!

(I'm anticipating this to be a one-sided debate [which isn't a debate at all] so feel free to move this to the appropriate forum if neccesary....)

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Lust at first sight exists. Love is a much deeper emotion. Love is built on compatibility, understanding, trust, security, respect... none of those are garnered by your 5 second oogling of a person.

Many relationships do begin with physical attraction and build from there. You start out in lust and gradually fall in love.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

True Nephilim

but ... what about Ugly people?
    no physical attraction at first sight for them..... :( :dizzy2:

4. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

I pretty much agree with Neph (oh surprise). What i would add is that "love at 1st sight" is only something you imagine in hindsight, that 1st attraction happened to work out, forgetting all the other 1st attractions that didnt. Its much easier to say things were meant to happen after they actually did.

I think what I m saying is, No, I don't believe in it.

As for ugly people, is no problem falling in love without having any initial physical attraction, if other things like work or social stuff give people time to get to know each other.

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I'm an ugly person. The only person who experienced Lust at First Sight at the sight of me was a little on the crazy side.

6. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I think if you met like on the internet :p or you are just meeting each other it's possible..But otherwise it's a buncha bull..I'd never fall in love with
    someone just by first looking at them..I'm mean where have they been if they are that fine??ANd Neph your probaly not ugly..don't say that. :rolleyes: I bet you look great!(Being nice peeps K) :p

7. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Shouldn't that be "love at first site"? :p

Anyway, seriously speaking, i think "falling in love with the first person friendly to you" is more plausible. Specially if you come from a disfunctional family. I've talked with 2 or 3 people with that problem. They just can't let go of their "loved ones" :(

8. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

im not quite sure what i think of love at first sight...i mean i know ppl who have been together for a long time who claim it was love at first sight but who really knows...if it is true maybe its like an aura or something they see? or uhhh maybe an invisible sign that says "TAKE ME!"? pfff i dunno it wasnt like that for me anway. i guess i think "love at first sight" is a shallow thing in general ....unless it really means "love at first meet" u know fall in love with them as soon as u meet them? but even that seems questionable....how can u love someone u just met? meh whatever maybe it does happen for some.....and neph...*rolls eyes and shakes head* youre not ugly >=P

9. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

Yes, it does it happened to me :) . I fell inlove at a first sight. If it happens you just know that you are inlove, kinda hard to explain.

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Please note that she's also tried to avoid doing her homework by finding, and I quote, "geeks online" to do it for her. Somehow I doubt she's the cerebral sort.

11. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

... well, i guess i kinda believe in it. i always go to this japanese book shop, and there's this dude who works there named chiba... but anyway, the first time i saw him, it's just like, meh. but then the next day, you're just like staring at him and drooling while getting a book to cover your face... lol. and then you talk to him and learn that he's like what, 5 years older, going to college, but you just fall in love.

so i'd say it's more like 'love at second sight' not first.

... *drools over chiba...* chibaaaaaaaaaa~! i absolutey LURVE you~!!!!!!! man, that sounded scary... lol.

12. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Being part of the attractive side to the homo sapiens species I can say there may be something to love at first sight.

Since this is for an English Class Debate, we need definitions. All from dictionary.com

There are several different definitions.

Love- A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

Obviously when you like someone the feelings are a little deeper. But this definition points too an over time feeling.

Love- A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.

Many can have an intense desire from first sight normally called lust which many agreed upon.

I believe in love at first sight. Because love isn’t limited to people you are attracted too. Love can be with a pet, relative, close friend, and etc. You can also love an object.

Love- An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.

Love- An expression of one's affection.

By these definitions love at first sight can happen.

I did have love at first sight with my son. The first time I saw him and held him I knew I wanted to protect him forever. The fact that I was caring him for nine months didn’t add to the love. I really didn’t see him. I heard his hear beat and I saw the ultra sound pictures. I felt him grow but I really just didn’t know what to feel. The ultra sounds don’t count as seeing him because you really can’t. I didn’t realize I was a parent until after I had him. The doctor lifted him into my arms. I felt his skin against mine and in that moment I actually saw him for the first time I knew I wanted to give everything I had to him. The parental instinct that exists in every species over whelmed me with protection. I can honestly say it is better then the three letter word at times.

I also loved my niece at first sight after she was born for that was the first time I saw her.

Unless you limit to love at first with people you are physically attracted you can have love at first sight. Love isn’t limited. It is limitless.

So, I win. :D

1 person likes this.
  13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Lust is not exactly the emotional attachment they were describing.

You see, women have these things called maternal instincts.

Oh wait, so you concede it was forced on you by instinct.

You realise we were pretty much referring to romantic love in this debate, right?

14. Vogy

Vogy New Member

love at first sight exists..I'm sure! ;)

here's on of my favorite songs. and you're from australia, Kagome's Arrow? then you probably know this song ;)

kylie minogue - love at first sight (2001)

Thought that I was going crazy
    Just having one those days yeah
    Didn’t know what to do
    Then there was you

And everything went from wrong to right
    And the stars came out and filled up the sky
    The music you were playing really blew my mind
    It was love at first sight

’cause baby when I heard you
    For the first time I knew
    We were meant to be as one

Was tired of running out of luck
    Thinking ’bout giving up yeah
    Didn’t know what to do
    Then there was you

’cause baby when I heard you
    For the first time
    I knew we were meant to be as one

------------

well ok it's just a song..but it means a lot to me ;)

15. Basher

I was talking about these.

Love- An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.

Love- An expression of one's affection.

And the sperm donor loved him at first sight too which is paternal instincts. First off with both instincts they are a run around with difinations. But neither says love. Love is what you give it has nothing to do with maternal or paternal insticts.

The parental instinct that exists in every species over whelmed me with protection.

Pretty much yeah. But with any good debate you need to go beyond that. There was no grounds set. Love is limitless. So you can love something or someone at first sight.

16. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

Thinking about it, i dont think the immediate response we some times get when seeing someone is necesarily all lust. it seems like a lot of us have a "type" that we are atracted to which has, i think, developed when we were children. I think the root of it isnt about a sexual partner, i think its basicaly instintual but the pattern is based on possibly a parent, or someone who made an impression on us when we were small. then later in life when we are looking for partners and we get that pattern match, and something says "YES!"

If that person is the opposite sex, or sex u are attracted to in a partner, then the lust side usually kicks in, if not, then you can be desperate to make that person your friend. I think its a visual pattern too, because visual pattern recognition is probably one of our strongest skills as human beings.

As far as babies are concerned we are totally set up to feel protective about something with that shape, which is why kawaii things are based on the proportions of a human baby or small child. Big head in proportion to body, big eyes, small nose, little mouth in a kind of egg like face. I think its the same effect as I said above, but used in a different context.

So maybe now I would say, things are stacked towards the "love at first sight" effect, but I think that mechanism isnt all that reliable, its a bit primitive basicaly.

1 person likes this.
  17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

That's wonderful, but the phrase itself refers to romantic attachment.

Maternal instincts (and paternal instincts, which would be triggered by the knowledge that it's your kid) trigger care and defense mentalities which fall in line with love.

Concession accepted.

And parental instincts don't exist in every species outside of "lay eggs in what seems to be a good spot"...

You get a shallow beginning to love; but that love is developed and matured over the course of time. Those beginnings aren't even guaranteed to blossom into love, depending on the mentality of the parents.

18. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

I dont think that Love at first sight exists because its more of an emotional feeling rather than physical. I mean...you can really be attracted to somebody but that is way different than love. I would just find it hard to believe that you just look at someone and automatically fall in love, Maybe you think that person is hot at first sight and that would be acceptable.

19. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

Absolutely, which is what I pretty much meant in my last post. In fact when I said this instinctual effect isn't reliable and that its primitive, I almost used the word "shallow". its a trigger, but its not love. It's only the potential, but I think it increases the chances, like I said, stacks the odds a bit.

20. Basher

It can go either way. Not just romantically. Just because there is an intense emotional attachment doesn't just apply to romance. I was attached to a pillow when I was younger some of my friends had blankets. At that young of an age we loved those objects. as for a pet or treasured object. The last part of the definition which you forgot. I can assure you I had no romantic relationship with that pillow. And others will agree with their cherished iteams.

So your rebuttal denied.

Not really. You can't inherit love. No one is inborn with the love for someone or something or born with it. It is an expression of oneself. Not every parent loves their child. I have heard some say they didn’t sad but true.

There is still a debate going wither or not other animals and etc have feelings. For all we know they do love. I can’t really say on that matter not an expert. Obviously some species don’t care for their young but more do then not.

Wither it is a shallow beginning to love it is still love. I agree it does need to be developed in some cases like in romance.

Unless someone can debate that love has no limit or limitless like I said then love at first sight can happen. You will all understand once you are a parent. Couldn’t help myself KA. Hehe

Love does develop and keep on developing. I love my son more and more like others love their parents, objects, and etc for actions they have done, being themselves and etc. Love is limitless. I think I had this debate way back when. There is two ways I think to view it as love is limitless and people have their own opinions. I proved love at first sight can happen. We can all agree that it needs to mature but it will keep on developing. Love has no limit.