Video Games Emulation

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Suzu, Mar 7, 2002.

?

Do you download and play ROMs/Emulation?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    92.6%
  2. NO

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. I don't know what's emulation/ ROMs...

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Before I even discuss this topic, may I ask the moderators and admin if this topic if this is appropriate or should be avoided and deleted.

2. NandabaNaota

NandabaNaota New Member

I do. I have all the games ever release for the Vectrex (system from 1982). I also own the system, but not all the games, so I guess it's a grey area for me. It's not like they are commercially viable anymore though hehe

3. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I do. But only for systems out of production.

4. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I'm a moderator of this forum, and I have no problem with this topic.
    I'm an old-school gamer as well. I still love old games, even though I've sold off my Genesis and Nintendo. I also like to play translations of games that never came out over here, and of course those fun remixes of Final Fantasy are always fun as well.

5. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I'm really a newbie in the world of emulation... :sweat: I never thought that I could play all my favorite old school games.

Anyone here played Tales of Phatasia ROM?
    What ROMS do you have?

My list:
    -Tales Of Phantasia
    -Final Fantasy 4, 6 (prefer the PS game I bought, cuz of the FMV and specials)
    -Chrono Trigger (same here, the ROM doen't have the anime sequence)
    -Tenchi Muyo
    -Sailor Moon RPG

Currently searching for:
    -Card Captor Sakura ROM
    -Rurouni Kenshin ROM
    - Sakura Wars
    :dizzy2:

6. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Oi! I've got more ROMs than I know what to do with! I mean that literally. Don't tell me to play them all ... some are just plain horrible.

My collection ranges from the original Metal Gear, Little Ninja Brothers, Final Fantasy, M.U.L.E. and Dr. Mario for the NES to Phantasy Star III, Shining Force II and Crusader of Centy for the Genesis. I have SNES classics such as Final Fantasy V (an unofficial version, of course), Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG and this DBZ game that seems to be in a variety of languages, including English, French, Japanese and German (really, it's annoying because I can't find my English-language ROM ... maybe I'll learn Japanese and German so I can play ...). I even have some ultra-old-school games from the Sega Master System (I'm glad I'm too young to have ever bought one of those things ... they really sucked). The only game worth playing there is Phantasy Star, and even then just so you can understand the references in Phantasy Star IV, since that first game really sucks.

Actually, about half of my ROM collection can be attributed to a friend of mine who shall for now remain nameless so as not to incriminate them of anything (you know who you are ;)). And if you're out there, I know I still owe you ...

7. DrunkLeprachaun

Skuld, did you get my PM about CCS?
    btw the emulator on the site is no good. I'd recomend Visual Boy Advance. It plays GB, GBC and GBA roms.

8. Yuna

Yuna New Member

Umm ^^;;;... Are there any PSX roms!! I've been searching for them!!! I'm looking for Chrono Cross PSX rom... but couldn't find it... I did download the PSX emulator, which works pretty fine... (and the cute little memory card! :D)
    Pwetty please if ya know where I can find Chrono Cross rom, Tell me please?

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

PSX ROM? Umm...yes...and no. Basically put it this way:

PSX Emulators tend to be more direct, and use your Computers CD-ROM to read PSX Games directly from CD. This tends to be why I like them more. If my PSX is busy, I can theoretically bring my CD to my PC, pop it in, and play it without troubling myself to find a backup copy for download. I am aware that some PSX Emus also run ROMS, but as for myself, I don't have a clue how one would dump one, especially for a multi-cd game...and even if dumped, they would be Huuuuge (around 300 megs or higher per cd) and a long download...

End Comment: PSX Emu will generally also read copied backup CDs, so you'd probably be better off to find someone to burn a copy of your game for you, or else use the original. Use PSX CDs, not ROMs...

10. DrunkLeprachaun

Yeah, I agree, psx roms are far more trouble than they're worth. It would be a lot better to just buy the game(if you don't have a psx, you should. Otherwise how can you play the final fantasy games?).

11. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Aww always late

THANK YEW DrunkLeprachaun :D!
    I see, thank fer the advise... Oh and sorry fer the late reply.. :)

Are saturn and dreamcaste roms similar to the PSX roms? plug game and play?

12. Yuna

Yuna New Member

Duuuuhh!! who does not own a PSX? :sweat: hehe... I can't find a shop that sells Chrono Cross... so I thought of downloading it! :D!! Thanks for the Advise... :D

13. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

my collection of games...

SNES well over 600, like 660+
    NES around the 300
    NEO*GEO 75
    SEGA GENESIS like 3 or 4
    GBA like 24 or so...
    PSX only 2 (too big!)
    DreamCast only 2 (EVEN BIGGER!)
    ARCADE like 300

my collection is well-over (excluding CD-games) 3GIGs big

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I dont have a PSX.

By the time I finally developed enough interest in PS games, the PS2 was about to come out.

So eventually Im gonna get one of those someday.

15. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i simply have a crap load of nintendo(all the ff games! yeah!) and super nintendo roms. i refuse to touch bleam or any disc emulater simply cause i hear they work like crap. i have one of every system out(cept the x-box....which i guess we're getting around the 19th..replay weekend! triple points on that! well, at half the normal points...but whatever...)
    simply, i own the disc games i want. now, i have all the american ff's...cool, but the nintendo will not work forever...and i know one day, the snes will die...and well, there are also games that just never made it state side that i wanted. soo pretty much i either have everything i have roms of, or it just isn't commercially available...*^-^* ( i also have a few gameboy ones...pokemon...hehe)

16. IDAVE

IDAVE New Member

yes bleem and any other psx emulator is crap, except however epsxe i near perfection!

17. Bau

Bau New Member

???

well i agree with being able to use emulators and such i use them but i don't down load them , myself anyway. i think that emulators are ok, in my opinion its ok as long as you don't sell them.

i used the SNES emulator and the NES one its good because you can play games that were never released in the states or Canada. i played FF5 untill i got my playstation. although i still like the emulator but i don't have anymore. i used the NES emulator and the GB emulator for the orginal final fantasy's and the GB for FF adventure. but now i have them so its no use to me.

all in all i think its ok to use them as long as you don't sell them.

--------------------------------------------------

sorry if thats offensive to anyone...

sorry KUPO!!!!!!!!!:shy3:

18. Kenster

Kenster Guest

I play the snes roms, i like the front mission anf old FF games, there great. anyone else ever played "Pilot Wings"

19. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

I have a neat completo lot of SNES and NES ROMS...My faves are Strider (NES), Battleclash (SNES), Terranigma (SNES) and Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest III (NES)

20. n15pca

n15pca New Member

Yes I do. Has a matter of fact we have a old arcade one. It's cool to play x-man the arcade game. It's the one where you can play six players at the same time!!!:)