Video Games Emulation

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Narusegawa Naru, Mar 13, 2003.

?

For or against emulation?

1. I'm for it!

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. I'm against it.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. I believe that there are certain exceptions...

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Emu-what?

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Narusegawa Naru

Narusegawa Naru New Member

Is emulation okay to you? What's your reasoning

Well, I hardly have even more to pay for current GBA games. How bad is it? It'd probably take me over a year to be able to save up enough money to buy a GBA wihtout anygames. Then it'd probably taken another couple months for me to buy one game.

I do not, however, support people who are just cheap and just don't buy them because they can download them. Meaning, people who can effort to buy them but don't.

I also don't think there is any harm in retro emulation. The companies can't make anymore money off SNES, Genesis, and NES games anyway. So what's the problem?

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

What you said is exactly the problem. Though companies wont' make much money of NES games anymore, it'll still be illegal because of copyrights. The company that made it *has* to profit from it somehow.

3. Narusegawa Naru

Actually,Do used games stores give a portion of their earnings to the companies? I don't really know, but I doubt it...

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

But they did get money from the person initially buying it.

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

The only emulators I've ever actually used are ones for the SNES, the NES, and the GBA (and that was only to play Love Hina Advance and classic GB roms without a seperate emulator).

I dont really see any harm in it, I mean, its not like Nintendo is gonna crank out another copy of, say, Blades of Steel anytime soon.

6. Cunning Servant

Cunning Servant New Member

There are plenty of SNES and some Sega Genesis remakes being put onto the GBA, and those E-reader cards do have some old NES games on it, I think. I don't think it's the fact that they make some games anymore to be the problem, it's that they might want to remake the games for other systems. They did it with Final Fantasy Anthologies, Final Fantasy Chronicles, and old school Metroid through the Gamecube/GBA link of Metroid: Prime and Fusion. As long as these company have their claims on a particular game title, you never know when they might want to start shipping it out again in one form or another. Therefore, I would have to say that is against the law under any circumstance. If it one day becomes legal, I would STILL say it is thievery of a person's or corporation's work, if they did not want such things to happen.

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Actually if you own the cart, you can have the ROM.

8. Narusegawa Naru

Actually, there is a loop hole in the copyright law. It simply states that it is illegal to distribute copies of a said copyrighted item without the proper conscent of the publisher. Meaning, it's illegal for a person to put ROMs up on a site for download, but it isn't illegal to actually download them. That's why hundreds of people aren't getting arrested for burning music. That's why the companies target the dealers, not the downloaders. Napster is an example of this at work.

Though I know that they're still discussing this loop hole that protects downloaders, and it seems that this option won't be available much longer. If it hasn't already been changed.

9. Cunning Servant

That IS true, there would be too many people arrested, and it would be too hard to track down. I think that they purposely overlook the loophole for that very reason. However, how can anyone look at themselves in the morning knowing they are benefitting from the actions of a criminal?

10. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

I'd just like to point out whata ***** it is to try and find Playstation bios files.

I'm for retro emulation... and kind of for emulation of current stuff, if only because the prices are so extortionate where I live.

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Thats the thing about laws, they don't apply everywhere, and morals are relative like that. If you grow up in a land where, say, cannibalism is ok, then you wont understand why people freak out over it.

And in response to your question, how can so many millions wake up knowing that they've probably bought products made by kids in a sweat-shop?

I'd feel way more guilty if I discovered that a football I bought was made by some 5 year old in Indonesia than I would if I decided to download The Adventures of Lolo 2.

12. Cunning Servant

A good argument, I guess you can't escape doing most things on this planet without doing harm in one way or another...
    But as far as games go, games are made by machines not by hand anymore. There are no small children being put into the workplace in such a business a video games, since it's much too complicated a task to build games, especially since they come in the form of cd's and intricate hardware.

Unfortunately, there ARE those children that are working on more menial products, such as a soccerball and clothing. Sadly, its big countries placing large corporations in small, poor countries, so they don't have to pay large amounts to get their products manufactured. Though it is seen as legal, I think it is degrading to perform such actions. Let me see which of my shirts are made in foreign countries....

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yeah.

Personally I see buying a slave-made football as WAY worse than downloading a rom, because, as you noted above, suffering is involved, and unfairly at that.

Meanwhile, the programmers were paid quite a while ago for their talents, and fairly I might add. Plus, its extraordinarily hard to find a game. I nearly crapped my pants when I found a used copy of Super Metroid for 40 dollars last year. Of COURSE I bought it!

Now, do I actually use the cart? No. Its in storage, at home, along with nearly all my console stuff. Why? Because I'm renting out a room in a townhouse (college kid), and space conservation is of the essence. Hence, the presence of my Super Metroid rom, which I legally own anyway.

Edit: with the difficulty of finding old games, among those are the Great and the Old. Believe me, I would -love- to hook up an NES to my TV and play the original Final Fantasy on that, but finding a good condition NES -and- Final Fantasy is hideously difficult. Even old pawn shops with programming books for punch-card computers never have these gems it would seem.:( Oh, and Final Fantasy 3 for the SNES? Good luck!

14. Cunning Servant

If you ask me, your usage of the rom might be illegal (I don't know the true exceptions of the rule yet), but I would have to say that it is perfectly moral. You bought the game, you have a right to play it, whether it be on a tv or a computer. Either circumstance I try to stay away from doing things like that, I find it easier to be on the safe side :).

BTW, I got super metroid by trading someone a mere pokemon card :p .

15. Kirei na kimyou

Kirei na kimyou New Member

I'm totally for retro emulation and psx emulation. I don't see that much error in psx emulation as you basically buy the games and play them on computer. And retro games aren't produced anymore, yet you can harness their sweet and power through emulation.

About the law, the thing is that the copyright by, for example nintendo, says that it's illegal to do any copies of the games you've bought. I don't know about owning them, though. However, in usa i know that there's a law that says you're entitled right to make backup copies of games that you've bought. That means tv games, too.

16. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I'm pro retro emulation, just like I'm for abandonware. But I don't like emulation of games that it's possible to get presently in the country you live in, just like I'm against warez. But it's not so bad if you're just trying a game out on an emu, to see if it's worth buying.

17. Kirei na kimyou

Demo roms aren't illegal, though :)

18. Kirei na kimyou

*Cough* there is *cough*
    Not that i really wish to encourage illegal playing of games, but myself i like to see how plugins/emulators progress.
    If you just turn your browser here: http://www.emulation64.com you'll get to know everything you need.

Although it has problems at the time writing. But have fun.