Current Affairs First what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

2. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Ooook, as was mentioned in the article, annoying is a very VERY broad term. Anything can come off as annoying to people, and this really sounds like something that somebody just cooked together in their spare time.

Does this mean that every american on the site has to sign their own name when they post? I have strong douts that this would actually be inforced since there are so many people using the internet in the US that it would be almost impossible for the authorites to track everyone.

3. Reisti Skalchaste

One proviso is that it apparently has to be with intent to annoy. So if say... Seishin wanted to flame me, he'd have to sign his real name on it. Not that I don't already know it :p, but I think that's what it is, in the end.

Frankly I think it's as stupid as Paul Martin's idea of banning handguns to stop the use of illegal guns in crimes.

4. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

AH but how do you know that my name really is what I sign it as? How would one go about prosecuting under this bill?

Who ever wrote that bill is a total idiot.

Yours truly,
    John Doe

5. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

People like Maddox are going to have to post thier real names in order to get away with thier site.

Talk about a load of Horse hockey. I'll file this one under the same laws here in Va that state a man can take his wife to the local courthouse steps every sunday and legally beat her with a cane no thicker than his thumb.

What's worse is that there are millions of dumb sh*ts everywhere who go around screaming about whatever makes them irritated. This "law" (and I use this term loosely) simply gives them a name to firebomb at the end of the day.

Hurray! I <3 my country, but I despise every last man and woman who runs it. Canada and/or Australia keeps looking better every day.

I'm never posting my name up, I dont care if I get fined, go to jail, or get banned.

~W

6. Reisti Skalchaste

Uh, wertitis, that post is annoying to me. By law you have to tell me your name. :D

Not like I don't already know it, :p, but I'm joking anyway.

7. Seishin

Seishin Guest

This is why I would've voted for Nader......
    Well, it's ONLY on my profile, so it'd be up to a newbie to not know.:p

However, I could create a fake e-mail adress, use someone else's computer, use a fake name, and annoy someone, and they'd never find me! And I'd gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling congressmen, and that stupid dog!XD

-Seishin

8. geishaboy

geishaboy New Member

If they enforced that, half the people on the internet would be behind bars

You all have to tell me your names or I'm calling the police!

9. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

This is just yet another smidge of proof that humanity is doomed to...bah do I even need to say it? Not only is it a ridiculous "law", but it's pretty much impossible to enforce. We all know this wont stop flaming so is Bush really going to track down billions of people to make sure they signed with their real names? Excuse me while i kill myself laughing...What an endless loop-hole. I need not say anything else, it has already beed said.

10. Reisti Skalchaste

I don't. I'm Canadian. :p

See if nothing else this law is fun to make fun of. :D

Anyway, it *was* only passed because some moron tacked it onto a piece of critical legislation that couldn't fail.

11. geishaboy

geishaboy New Member

Well, I live in New Zealand so the law doesn't apply to me either

But at least we now have somehting solid to use against annoying newbies

12. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

law is just gettin out of hand now, it really is pathetic. !!

13. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

I'd like to know just HOW they could enforce this because they're forcing us to put our names on posts OR they'll throw us in jail. But if they don't know our names how can they even know where we are?

And just to comply with the rule, I'll put my "name" down.

-Vincent Vullen

Heh heh heh heh.......

14. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

hit the nail on the head blaze, they're passin stupid laws now anyway, how the HELL?!? do the plan on arresting everyone who doesnt 'comply' with this law, well i dunno where its been enforced cos i forgot but whoever they are, the laws are stupid.

15. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard..

16. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

No...i'm pretty sure It will get even more stupider.

Is it me or is the U.S laws becoming MAGICALLY RETARDED with each passing president:D

17. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

LOL This is sad... They cant Enforce it At All. like 3/4 Internet Users live in other parts of the World besides U.S.A

18. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

This is stupid.

As helpful as some people may think it is, its absurd.

I mean, did someone ever really annoy Bush enough to sign for this crap? Seriously, has he nothing better to do than approve for this kind of law? LAW?

Whoever thought that there would be LAWS on the internet?

Well...yeah, apart from the ussual ones like screwing people over or watching illegal crap online. Then the rest of the crazy bunch are just a load of restrictions.

Seriously...what is the world coming to? Or at least the USA....

Laws on the Internet world is stupid.

YES! Spamming is annoying...but you seriously dont need to send someone to jail for it.

Imagine a judge saying "For the crime of annoying President Bush, you're hereby sentenced to two weeks in jail"

Then you hear the defendant screaming "Dont send me to jail! I dont wanna get annaly raped!!"...eh..but that part's irrelevant.

Still....new law? Stupid!

Yay!

- Kaiyon

19. geishaboy

geishaboy New Member

^ Oh, sounds like someone needs a hug! ^

I don't I have *really* understood why they have done it yet

20. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I haven't fully read up on this change, but it just sounds silly, and I have no idea how the US government could even begin to handle something so broad as "intent to annoy". Rather, I think it most likely will be for severe cases such as cyberstalking or mass spam ads - but even then, the sender of either of those items is not very likely going to admit their name, so it makes the law kind of pointless.

If the annoyance is not enough to warrant attention, there really is no point in pursuing someone's identitiy. And if it's severe enough, you can bet they're going to keep their anonymity as best they can. Additionally, when its severe, that is when the law will press down on tracing the individual back to their roots and pressure the ISP to reveal their identity. So maybe it is just a way to further shoehorn ISPs into having no choice but to reveal user identities - I remember all the RIAA action that was going on with pressuring for user names in order for prosecution.

In short, using the silly joke of an example in this thread, I doubt you'd see someone like Ragnarok wasting his time (and money) to prosecute wertitis just because his post was meant to irk him on. Additionally, the law as I understand it is only criminally sanctioned, so unless wert's post was part of some criminal offense Rag would have a tough time getting an attorney. Plus, wert would have to have "intended" his posting to be annoying in the first place for this law tio have any bearing whatsoever.

It's very ambiguous in its description, leaving a bit of gray area. The purpose is obviously for protection of the common man against SPAM and harassment, but from the obvious confusion around it, it's certainly not well-worded. Then again, what legalize is?

That reminds me about the recent $11.2 billion lawsuit from a small ISP against a spammer who launched mailouts with their service.