FLCL Fooly Cooly! what do you think of it?!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by lilmizkong, Aug 7, 2003.

1. lilmizkong

lilmizkong New Member

Flcl

have u guys watch FLCL on CN? its really good...
    FLCL stands for fooly cooly, i think.

2. Naeo

Naeo New Member

i say...Viva La Haruko-san, and Taro-kun!!! WOO HOO! YEAH! Muahahahahahaha!!!

3. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

I really Like FLCL...i think it also stands for like furi kuri or something like that....but anyway i like it very much and i like the fact that CN hasnt edited it...i dont think so but i saw that they edited one thing in ep. 6.

Does any1 kno what they edited?

4. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I guess it's ok.

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

FLCL is a great anime that SHOULD get the recognition it's getting right now. The animation styles, songs, feel, randomimity, all of it are part of its charm.

Heck, it even had its own board here, once upon a time, where no one knew about it save the few higher-ups in this club.

And, I don't know what they edited and what they didn't. I don't NEED to, I have the box set. ^_^

6. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

FLCL doesn't stand for fooly cooly. Nor does it stand for Furi Kuri(note it doesn't have any Cs or Ls in it). Furi Kuri is what it's called in kana, because L and C aren't in their alphabet, and R and C are their most common replacements when using words from other languages that contain them. It is not called "FRKR" because all japanese letters that aren't vowels(with the exception of n{which is sometimes used as m}) always have a vowel after them(although one of the eyecatches does actualy say HRKR{F being in the same kana group as the Hs}).
    Fooly Cooly, I'm not positive where it came from. I think it was just made up by some bored american otaku, or maybe it was just a translation blurb, I don't know. I think it's a really stupid name, which has nothing to do with anything.
    So what does "FLCL" mean? You'll have to figure that out for yourself(or not as the case may be{and should be}).
    What do I think of it? I think it's the best anime ever. See the other FLCL thread.
    Now don't you all feel enlightenéd?

7. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

I heard somewhere, before the anime was released, that "furi kuri" is the Japanese way of saying "freaky". I'm not sure about that, but it's an interesting idea.

8. DrunkLeprachaun

I don't think so, freaky would just be "furiki", close though. I doubt the validity of that statement, but it's interesting none the less.

9. YokoburiKinura

Adult Swim's little 'tekst' that the put up around commercial times said that 'the S&P' people made em do an edit in episode 6. I would bet that it was an edit for running time (because 6 is a really long episode).

10. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I like it.I now see what Izzy and DL where talking about all this time.:)

11. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

FLCL is pronounced Furi Kuri, it doesn't stand for anything it is just total nonsense like the rest of the show. I am a fan though.

12. Naeo

Naeo New Member

i thought...i made the post... :confused:

13. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

We merged the two together because they were the same thread. Just clones of each other. We can't have that, now can we?

Just so this isn't spam: Yes, FLCL doesn't really stand for anything. Furi Kuri is just words put together because...well...they were put together. The titles do have some meanings though. Like episode 5, Bura Bure is contracted from Brittle Bullet. ^_^

14. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i always thought it meant a twisting action of some kind, with sexual connotations. i guess it makes more sense for it to be nonsense. (or would that be less sense?:D )

15. Outlaw Shishio

Outlaw Shishio New Member

YEAH!!! FLCL [Furi Kuri] is the best anime! But, if you know about Hikaru No Go, thats a great anime also. I just watch FLCL on CN. I don't wanna buy the anime DVD's if you can watch it on CN. Its great! If you don't like it, you suck!

16. Naeo

Naeo New Member

oh, ok! ^_^' but last night's episode was creepy!!!

17. Outlaw Shishio

Yeah I know. Sounded like they were having sex. Wierd. Huh?

18. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

FLCL is on CN?!? Geez, i haven't been watching that network for a while....i'm way behind the times. i didn't even know Cyborg 009 was on it until like yesterday. And, if FLCL is the show i think it is(it has the lady with the guitar and the thingy with a computer for a head....right?), then yes, i do like it.

19. Outlaw Shishio

Yes It is. That's FLCL! Hehe.

20. DrunkLeprachaun

As a matter of interest though, in the eyecatch of one episode(4 I think) I noticed that instead of the furikuri kana it normaly has, it had furikiri instead, which foes actualy contain "furiki". The eyecatches often has variations on the ordinary FLCL/furi kuri, and this is one. Just saw this when I was rewatching the other night.