Movies have you seen equilibrium??what did you think.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by vash the stampede, May 3, 2004.

1. DEUS

DEUS New Member

Hey novus

Are you saying that you actually study movies, damn what a wasted life

2. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

You really think highly of yourself dont you novus. I havent read any of your posts before so i didnt know what kind of person you are

I can see that you know your stuff about where the matrix is taken from it's just that your previous post didn't make that clear

But when you think about it
    The matrix is directly taken from the authors both you and i have previously mentioned
    Equilibrium is taken from ideas from social commentaries such as Farenheit 451, 1984 and (i dont know if this is entirely true but ) Brave new world.

You shouldnt take it so hard, All you had to say was you knew the matrix wasnt original

(also i am aware that all of the novels and authors We've referenced take their cues from previous works of social fiction, particularly that of the early 1900's)

Personally i dont care if you teach film studies, study it or just like to brag "know your enamy"? You've already told me everything i need to know about you thanks to your rant

And chill out dont take people on the internet so seriously, It'll give you a hernia. :anime:

This one's for Kain: The matrix did not invent the style of wearing long coats (just look at Blood operas) Long coats are usefull to hide weapons and so they are used in lots of movies with gun fu
    And for the last time Equilibrium is not inspired by the matrix, its inspired by the same thing that inspired the matrix
    There is a difference (yet still neither movie is original)

To Vash LEAVE US MONKEYS ALONE YOU GODDAMN EVIL B*ST*RD
    (im not serious im trying to be funny but i dont want to p*ss anyone else off so thats why im explaining this :anime: )

To DEUS Don't come on to this forum just to annoy and demoralise people A55h0LE :anger2:

Hope that clears things up

3. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

(i put this in a seperate post cos the other one is too long already)

Star wars kid is hilarious Did you see the edited Shorter but funnier version or the full fat kid with stick extravaganza (sic)

4. vash the stampede

vash the stampede New Member

i think i did see it i saw 3 or 4 different versions of it like the one where it says something about an evil twin and they made two of him one with a green lightsabre and one with a red one it was pretty funny. :anime: i laugh every time i watch it it never gets old.

have you seen that music video the one where the japanese guys are in there underwear with a green leaf on the front of the underwear and they jump around singing yatta yatta yatta if not download it you'll laugh i'll try to find out where to get it.

5. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

Damn that sounds funny, i've only seen the two versions i've mentioned, try to get me the links and i'll be the happiest little monkey you ever did see :anime:

6. vash the stampede

ok monkey but it'll be hard cauz my uncle had the video but then he deleted it soo i'll ask him maybe he'll remember where he got it????????

7. Novus

Novus Gone

Okay, perhaps my apologies are in order. Film is somewhat of a touchy subject for me sometimes.
    And yes, I DO study film. It's a part-time obsession of mine, and a damn-fine choice of a minor.

8. vash the stampede

anyone wanna talk about anything els ok the samurai sword fight scene that was pretty cool but they could have made it a bit longer well a lot longer too short.

9. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

what about when the protagonist (cant remember his name) slices that black guy's face off (again cant remember the name) that was kind of an anticlimax, but its ok because then you get that cool one-hand-defence-one-hand-firing-combat bit between whasisface and the guy who runs everything

damn my lack of memory :anger2:

10. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

It's cool

I tried to ask you a question in another thread but i dont think you saw it so here goes again
    What do you consider to be an example of good directing?

11. vash the stampede

imglad everything is getting worked out no more fighting :sweat: .

12. Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry New Member

:dizzy2:
    equillibreum was bloody superb all the devil may cry 2 gun moves(Drooling-Foaming-Dead from dehidration). That movie hit the spot.

13. vash the stampede

:dizzy2: :dizzy2: :dizzy2: :dizzy2: :anime: i thought so too hit the spot as you said.

14. Novus

Novus Gone

Good directing is primarily a blend of good use of cinematography (i.e. camera angles, lighting, scene transitions), maximizing the use of sound (music, sfx, the works), casting actors in roles they can convincingly play, working well with the screenplay, good choreography (although usually done by an outside choreographer) and (the real tricky part) some kind of artistic vision (although you don't want to be TOO artistic, because then you start making French movies). Also, a good director can make at least a passable production out of just about any resources. For example, look at what Raimi did on the tiny budget of Evil Dead. Oh, and at the risk of sounding cheesy, a good director has to take the film to the "next level". Revolutionary bits, and all that. Think of Quentin Tarantino, Alfred Hitchcock, Steven Spielburg, Akira Kurosawa and Orson Welles, for example. Consider their work (respectively) on Reservoir Dogs, Psycho, Schindler's List, Rashomon and Citizen Kane. In each case, the director brought something to the table that you could not find in other films at the time, and the techniques they imployed eventually were adapted by other directors.

And since I said what I didn't like about Equilibrium, it's only fair if I say what I did like as well.
    Attention to detail: the high point. See, this is how you can tell that a LOT of work was put in the movie. It's just a damn shame that the screenplay was utter trash. The afforementioned scene where the guy gets his face cut off comes to mind. When our hero walks out of the room, you can see the face lying on the ground near the body, while most directors would have just left that out. That was creative, and entertaining. That's what I'm talking about with good directing. But overall, the film still wasn't astounding. Sometimes even a competent director can't save something.

15. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

Fair enough, The cinematography in certain scenes (i.e. mission briefing scene) seemed to be ok, but maybe they tried to hard on it.

As far as action movies go though, I think it pushes a few bars, not as influential as the matrix (but it should be). I mean a new style was created in that movie, its a pity everyone shoves it as a matrix clone (even though to an extent it is :sad: )

Strange though, I had you pegged as a fan of french movies, but it seems that you have taste after all :anime:

16. Novus

Novus Gone

That is the most disturbing thing anyone has ever said about me. Well, one of them, anyway. There was this one time someone told me ... better not say it here ;).
    I've actually never seen a French film and enjoyed it. I've seen a few that I HATED (i.e. Last Year At Marienbad ... more like Last Year At Movie-is-bad), but never anything that I even liked slightly.
    But I digress.

If you look at Equilibrium as an ACTION movie, and not as true science-fiction, or as one of those speculative works, or anything like that, it's a fine movie. I don't really know anyone who walks into an action movie expecting to be blown away by the plot and acting. Still, though, it tries too hard to be something more, and doesn't quite hit that level for me.

17. vash the stampede

i think it had a pretty good story to it.it's the kind of movie you watch whenever you get bored.when i first saw the movie it turned out like totally opposite of what i thought.

18. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Uwah! I luffed it! The kid creeped my out a bit. It was pretty sad if you ask me... ;_;

But good, yes, very good...

19. vash the stampede

yeah that kid was freaky while i was watching it i said to my self "if i was that guy i would smack my kid." :anime: but anyway sorry i havnt checked my thread for a while i thought eveyone was done with it :anime:but great movie there should be more like it.