Movies Hellsing?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Novus, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Novus

Novus Gone

I saw a trailer during the Super Bowl for a movie called [some name] Hellsing. Is this any relation to the anime? It looked both cheesy and cool at the same time, at any rate.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

No, it's not. Van Helsing is the characters last name, I beleive. While the weapons are very anime-like...it has nothing to do with each other. Van Helsing is set in more medeival times, while Hellsing is set in the present.

That, and the fact that Van Helsing deals with Banshee's, Werewolves *AND* Dracula. Alurcard only deals with Vampires and FREAKs. Not to mention that Alucard is actually Dracula...or at the very least, his offspring.

3. Novus

Novus Gone

Thanks. I've never seen the anime, but I was just wondering.

4. Dante

Dante New Member

I believe Van Helsing is supposed to be based off of (at least loosely) Bram Stoker's character, Van Helsing, that helped hunt Dracula and all that junk. I for one am looking forward to this movie (Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale? Yummy).

5. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

Does anyone else think that it is a little strange to be making an action movie with Van Hellsing as the main character? Wasn't he supposed to be more of a man of science than a fighter? Then again, I haven't read Dracula in years, and I'll probably go see the movie anyway. There's nothing else to do around here anyway. :sad:

6. Novus

Novus Gone

It's more of a name than an adaptation, I would say. Probably just chosen as a name because of its use in Dracula. Also, it has "hell" in there, so they probably figured it would sell more movie tickets.

7. Dante

Dante New Member

Mebbe, though in the movie he is hunting Dracula, as well as Frankenstein's monster and the Wolfman, so maybe some strange, twisted adaptation of Dracula. Or something. I'm not really sue, either way, I'm definitely gonna see this movie. :p

8. Novus

Novus Gone

Hey, if it's an adaptation, it's the most terrible adaptation known to man. The kind of thing my film professor warned me about.
    Still, I'm probably going to see it either way.

9. DaRk

DaRk New Member

the van hellsing movie really does no justice to the anime series of hellsing. where hellsing tries to entertain with artistic creativity and REALLY cool backdrops and action scenes, van hellsing; the movie, is just a no brain action flick reaching out for more money.

10. Rem

Rem New Member

I havnt seen the anime yet. But I will probably watch that film....maybe, Looks kinda cool ^_^.

xx

11. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

For the (I believe) fifth time in this thread... VAN HELSING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HELLSING THE ANIME! :anger2: The anime was called "Hellsing" simply because it features the story of an organization based entirely within just this series called The Hellsing Organization. Van Helsing, however, is based on the events of a fictional character named Van Helsing, who is said to have been the man to kill Dracula, Frankenstein, <insert random monster here>, etc. The two were not meant to be similar in any way, nor do they relate to each other at all. :anger2:

12. Dante

Dante New Member

Well at least someone intelligent is amongst us (besides myself and Novus) that way half the thread isn't flooded with people that can't grasp such a concept. ;P I would THINK that it would be pretty ****ing obvious that it has NO relation whatsoever to the anime/manga, I mean it is not as if we are talking about rocket science here. If you people would go out and even do the most microscopic bit of research upon ANYTHING than perhaps you all would've come to a reasonable conclusion and not some absurdity that it's linked to the anime which, even though stated, as Baph said, five times, you seemed to have over-looked this fact. x_x I mean.. Christ..

Anyways, Baph hit it on the head (and as of known yet the main 'monsters' are Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster and the Wolfman (which looks hella cool might I add)).

13. Shenlong

Shenlong New Member

The whole "Let's add the Werewolf and Frankenstein for effect" thing that Van Hellsing sorta ticks me off. It reminds me of when they tried the same thing with League of Extrodinary Gentlemen. Some people liked it, but I hated seeing classic characters being so abused. I mean, cmon, Tom Sawyer, a CIA agent? Riight. Its the same feeling I'm getting from this movie. So, if I do see it, I'll probably wait until DVD time.

14. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Actually, League was based off a comic. So it was more a transition movie than a refrence to literary figures. Of course, they WERE still literary figures.

And, I REALLY thought this damned thread would finish after my FIRST post.

*shakes of the head abounds*

15. DaRk

DaRk New Member

now listen, unless i specifically argue that the RELATION between the two shows PLOTLINES do no justice (etc etc...) i do not mean that they are related.
    when first looking upon the NAME of the two, a person familiar with the hellsing anime would think lesser of the anime due to the influences the movie VAN hellsing creates. i acknowledge there is no relation between the two, bar the name (save the VAN part).
    lets not create any further arguments shall we?

16. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

In that case, I apologize, but when you said:

...it implied, to me anyway, that this is what you meant. I'm sorry for misinterpreting.

17. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I think it's kind of strange making a movie off Dr. Van Helsing. I always visualized him a plump old guy with a white beard, not Hugh Jackman. It's been a while since I've read the books so my description of him maybe off a little. I understand that it's supposed to be about when he's younger, but still if he does end up killing Dracula in the movie won't that contradict his origin?

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Just consider it a magical alternate universe. We've already got the wolfman and frankenstein in there along with harpies (or similar things).

Y'know, for all the hubub about "Ohhhhh the movie it is not artsy enough"... who cares? Why can't people just enjoy a very pretty albiet brainless film just as fun? Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of brainy stuff in my movie collection, but I am not ashamed that Starship Troopers (which is almost nothing like the novel) is right next to Unbreakable on my shelf.

Edit: And DaRk, don't bother getting pissy; with the way you wrote your post it DID look like you thought it was a live action version of the anime.

19. DaRk

DaRk New Member

so be it. i drop any grudges of which anyone or myself have or will figment inside my mind. i guess its just the debating side of my personality coming out (uuuhhhh yeah......)

ANYWAY, i saw the trailer too, of course, and in it he was brandishing a weird crossbow contraption of which caught my attention, does n e one fel this is just too weird of a fiilm for hugh jackman (a fellow Australian) to be in, i thought that x-men would have fulfilled the lust for his fantasy needs.

20. TheSonOfBattles

TheSonOfBattles New Member

A jobs a job for 99% actors. Its not like he can afford to be to picky about roles. He needs to keep working, and fantasy roles are what he's familiar in, so they're also what he'll do mostly because directors/producers are afriad to hire people in roles they're unfamiliar with because they may be crap.

I'm not ashamed to say I watch no brainer films tbh. They're good fun for 90 mins and that's all they're supposed to be.