Manga Hikaru No Go

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by ogami, Jun 9, 2003.

1. ogami

ogami New Member

The story begin with Hikaru, a young schoolboy, mischievously rummaging through his grandfather's attic in search of something to sell. His friend, Akari, warns him that maybe it's not such a good idea but Hikaru is curious about an old Go board (Japanese board game) that he finds, especially when he sees a stain on the board (which Akari can't see). When Hikaru touches the stain, a ghost appears out of the Go board and remains with Hikaru. The ghost, an unsettled spirit, had been residing in the Go board for centuries and was awaiting the chance to play Go again - through another person. The problem is, Hikaru thinks that Go is boring game for old people much to the chagrin of Sai (the spirit), who loves the game with a passion and has to resort to throwing tantrums and making bribes to get Hikaru to cooperate. This story in someway are a little like Yugioh. To me, I think this is a really great and fun manga to read. But it will be bored to you if you dont know about Go, because the story mainly focus on playing Go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Information get from Hanami Gumi Anime Review

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I'm currently reading the translations of this. I believe I'm on volume 19, chapter 153 overall. I *love* this series, especially later on, when Hikaru's pretty much running rampant.

Sai and Izumi and Kogara make for a great round-about cast. And the fact that it concentrates on a very traditional game from feudal japan is a really neat aspect.

Thanks to the might (and currently birthday-celebrating) Bloodberry for introducing me to one of my favorite shounen manga.

That...and I *really* want to know if there's any possible person/company to make Hikaru's shirts. Hehehehe.

Oh, and the anime's also pretty cool. I haven't gone into it more than episode 01, but I'm pretty sure it'll run a bit similar to the manga. I should find out about that.....

3. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

stupid izzy got me on to this. BUT i found volume 20 HAHA *snickers

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Good/bad news for all ye Hikago fans...seems that it's been licensed.

Now...bad news: Toriyama's World HAS taken off ALL Hikago downloads on the site. Meaning that every manga scanslation site that publishes scanslated Hikago will take off their downloads. Horrid in that, TW actually released 3 chapters not 12 hours before the licensing email was sent. SUCKS. So, no more Hikago for the scanslation fans. Also, there's no actual news on TW on WHO exactly is publishing it. So...that's a bad point too.

The GOOD news: Seems to be that Hikago *MIGHT* be published in a manga mag. That *might* be good news for some of you. But, I prefer whole volumes. What is good is that it *is* licensed, and WILL be surely released here, so that more and more people get exposed to the greatness of Hikaru no Go. Heh, I didn't see any mention of strong Go players here in the States...so maybe we'll have our own Isumi, Sai, or Hikaru in our ranks. ^_^

5. Basher

Well Hikaru no Go is in Shonen Jump. I still read it. It will take a LONG time before it is back up to Vol. 29 which I was at. I like the story line alot and now I want the Anime.

6. Ryu-Ki

Ryu-Ki New Member

I first read it in Shonen Jump so It not like I was all the way on vol.29 like you guys were and now have to what a while to get back there. Oo..And I really like the Manga, it's kind of got me wanting to learn and play GO.

7. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

I thnk I'm up to chapter five in total so I'm just reading it in SJ I like it I'll have to wait and see what the future holds for the Manga so I'll update then

8. Basher

So there are a few besides me who like hikaru no Go. I actually have forgotten some of what I read. :(

Has anyone read the latest March vol. of SJ with Hikaru no Go?

9. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

I have I read SJ the first day I got it so yeah

10. Basher

Me too. LOL

So do you think Hikaru and Sai will win against Akira? I think I still remeber what happens.

11. Ryu-Ki

Ryu-Ki New Member

I just got it and am go to read it right now.

12. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

That depends. As a pair, working together yes. But, if *and* when Hikaru's stubborness comes to the front...Hikaru's gonna lose. ^_^

...Or maybe he loses his first real match against Akira? We'll just have to see...........................^_^

13. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

I'm reading the Shonen Jump version. >_< I luff it, and unfortunatley never read any fan-scanz. Anyone know where I might get some?

14. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Unfortunatly, HikaGo, primarily done by Toriyama's World was taken down upon its licensing. TW is really good about keeping to the "legalities" of licensing and stuff.

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Love this series! ^_^x;;; I actually got the fansubs before it was licenced so...hehe dont tell anyone...as for the manga i bought the whole series just so id have it...there was a news site somewhere that was saying that the outcome of the manga was changed due to so disgruntled Koreans. apparently they demanded that the ending be changed cause one Korean had already lost to Hikaru. so in the end he supposedly loses...weird...

16. fluffyofthewind

fluffyofthewind New Member

i really like hikaru no go. i only read it when shonen jump come out, but i never thought that you could get a great manga out of a board game :glazed:

17. Basher

I think they do win. Izzy :p But I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly.

Hmm...What does everyone think of why Hikaru could only see the blood stain when other people who like Go couldn't? Lend me your thoughts. :D

18. Ryu-Ki

Ryu-Ki New Member

May-be he was destine to see the bloode, you know he may not like it but destiny is funny that way.

19. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, it is destiny. That's why he's the ONLY one who did see the blood. ^_^V Well at least, in that era.

Edit: Major Spoilers ahead
    Hikaru wins the first and second time he plays Akira. One when he went into the Go parlor, and once more on the internet. This is both with the help of Sai.

However, Hikaru loses the two times he plays Akira without Sai's help. Once when he told Sai to butt out of the match (during the tournament he entered with his Go club). And once more when he went professional.

Oddly enough, they became friendlier after the loss. Though they still act like brats. ^____^

20. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

No one knows why Hikaru was able to see the stain...perhaps it was because he had a great talent hidden in him...remember during his tournament against Kaio he knocked those two kids goban over. and he put it back together from the first move by memory...the two of them both commented that neither of them could actually remember that. as somepeople may point out that its just good memory...in terms of Igo its somewhat different as each move has so meaning and he commented a few times on the moves made...