Languages and Culture How bout that French?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Well, I decided that there should be a thread on this language 'cause it's the only one I can speak other than English. Plus, if I ever need help with my French(accursed verb tenses...especially the ilk of knowing when to use the plus-que-parfait or imparfait or passe compose....).

Anyways...parlez-vous!

2. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

I'll be taking this class next year, but until then I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject... until I can give a better response (preferably in French) then..

Je Ma Palle Jerome!

(And yes, I realize what I just said... it's the only thing I know how to say :D)

3. Dr. Nick Rivera

"Je m'appelle Jerome" is what you want, deary.

4. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Le français est ma langue maternelle. Enough said.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

actually, i dont speak it at all, but my parents speak it...somehow i just never learned. i do speak japanese fluently which is a compleltly different thing

6. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I taught French Immersion and Core French this past school year at my old high school. It's dissapointing still the level some of them were at, considering its FI but, it's still just secondary level. I learned quite a lot from the basic Core even. Sometimes it's easy to forget the most basic verbal structures or rules.

en tout cas, bonne chance et j'espère que vous vous amuserez avec la langue française!

7. Dr. Nick Rivera

*tries to translate*

Uh...does that say something to the effect of 'and all you you, good luck and i wish(?) that you have fun(or find amusement?) with the French language"?

8. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Or to be more accurate: "Anyways, Good luck and I hope that you will all have fun with the french language."

9. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

J'aime la langue française car j'ai été étudiante dans une école française depuis la pre-maternelle. Mon nom familial est français, et on m'a élèvé avec la langue.

J'ai besoin de pratiquer car j'ai changé d'école pour le secondaire et je ne suis plus aussi bonne que je l'était.

^^. I bet that's chock full of mistakes.

10. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

The French is your mother language? Heh, that's the only post made so far that I think I could even *attempt* to decipher, and I probably got it wrong :p

11. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

If you want to be technical, yes, I suppose. Though langue primaire and langue maternelle both work in french.

12. ShatteredWings

ShatteredWings New Member

((A joke..NOT serious...i repeat..NOT SERIOUS))

I can speak French! Ok. Here we go. Correct my spelling if you can...

I surrender.

How was that?

13. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

ooh, nasty!

my mum speaks fluent french, and i've picked up a fair bit from her but i don't speak it as well as i'd like :(

14. Dr. Nick Rivera

HAR HAR HAR.

You funny.

NOT.

15. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

C'est vrai? Moi aussi, Meaikoh! Mais j'enseigne maintenant, ça aide beaucoup ça..

about my last post.. 'vous vous amuserez' - I used a reflexive verb here, so 'you you' doesn't fit. Reflexive verbs are actions that the user performs on him/herself. If the subject of the verb performs the action on someone else it isn't reflexive. I'm crappy with words.. lol.

anyways.
    "Vous vous amuserez" means 'you(pl.) will amuse yourselves'.

se laver - to wash oneself (this is what I mean by the action is performed on the subject)

manger - to eat - this isn't a reflexive verb unless, you eat yourself. :bleed2:
    so, "Je mange" - what? Je mange une pomme (I eat an apple)

example: se lèver - to get up(let's leave the translation to this)
    ~ Present Tense

Je me lève - I get myself up
    Tu te lèves - You get yourself up
    Il/Elle se lève - He gets himself up/She gets herself up
    Nous nous levons - We get ourselves up
    Vous Vous levez - You get yourselves up (plural - more than one)
    Ils/Elles se lèvent - They get themselves up

Now I should let everyone know now that I am crazy and for some reason type more when it's way past my bedtime.

anyways.. à bientôt!

16. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I just finished my first course of french (and sadly it was the last as well - *mutters* stupid college system *mutters*).
    I am planing on taking more courses in French, maybe not at the university but maybe outside of it, or maybe buy some books :)

All I can say now is that I know very little of the basics, like, if I went to France or Switzerlan, I might manage it if they cant speak english, but then again, who doesn't these days, no?

17. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Ton message ne contient aucunes erreurs, Meaikoh. Félicitations!

18. nioupy

nioupy New Member

yes Meaikoh, your french is really good !

just one thing, we'd say "nom de famille" rather than "nom familial", but still, your french is pretty good !

and Arcueid, we'll use "langue maternelle", but i don't think "langue primaire" should be used. Perharps does it depends where you are...

Zanza, i can tell you one thing about most french people i know... they have big big trouble with english. So if you meet them, just try speaking french or get them drunk ;) A friend of mine even tried to find in a dictionnary how to translate "spencer michel" and get really nervous as he couldn't find it...

i'm half-kidding... cause most of french people have english lessons for a few years, so yes, they might be able to understand you :)

19. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

It works just as well. Perhaps it's not as correct as langue maternelle, but it does work. Trust me on that one.

While that may be true, not all french-speaking areas are that way. Here in New Brunswick, french and english are equally valued, thus most people learn english and become bilingual - usually for the purpose of getting a good job.

20. nioupy

nioupy New Member

i do ;) it's just that i never heard it - which doesn't mean i'm the best french speaker in the world -... but i know in some regions, people speak "different" french, for exemple belgians will say "septante, nonante" for seventy and ninety... Some swiss will say "huitante" for eighty... and not all swiss people will, it depends on where they live in switzerland... i find this fun and i like it ;)

yes, what i said is a bit "caricatural"... it's just from my experience with my friends... they're not every french people ;)
    and i also heard a few french speaking belgians with a very good english (written that way, i feel like i'll confuse everyone ;))

and by the way, i noticed that i still have problems with the use of "should/would/could"...
    in "but i don't think "langue primaire" should be used", i think i made a mistake... it'd been better with "would" instead of "should". :catgirl: