Languages and Culture How bout that French?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Yes, here too. I live in New Brunswick, in the Acadian Peninsula to be more specific. Our everyday speak is very strange, we still use old words from our culture which aren't even in the dictionary; our accent is also very different from the typical french speaker from France. However, we're forced to write the correct way. This causes a lot of problems for most of my classmates, sadly.

English isn't your primary language either? Impressive. You seem to know quite a lot

2. nioupy

nioupy New Member

:shy: well, i'm french... :sweat: (i've been discovered)...

well when writing english, i think i may seem good... but if you try to speak to me, i won't be able to place three words one after the other... :blush: But i'd understand you with not too much trouble :anime: (except if you're scottish, but who understands 'em anyway [that's a joke, if any scottish person reads it, don't take it bad :)])

somehow, living in dublin might help me to improve this "speaking problem".

I like the canadian accent (at least for the french speakers, i didn't hear it with an english speaker). It sounds... well different, perharps a bit melodious... But it's sometimes a bit hard for me to understand.
    And i also like a few expression i heard from someone from Quebec (like this word she used for hangover, something like "mangamé") and this use of old words you spoke about...

3. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

The word she said might be 'magané' or however you spell that; it means beaten up or damaged.

4. nioupy

nioupy New Member

Might be that word ;) i don't really remember as i've only heard it once and long ago (and as i was a little magané). But i remember i liked it :)

By the way, is there any "reason" for the accent people from canada often have ?
    I know that some french speaking belgians have an accent which may come from the use of dutch (flemmish they'd say) for a few generation.
    I can't guess about the swiss accent, i don't think it comes from german nor italian...
    I couldn't say about most of french regions accents (alsace's germanic accent is quite easy to hear), but it's fun to notice that if you go to the south, you'll have a very melodic accent, and the "souther" you go, the more you'll notice it...

5. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

a reason? you mean for french-canadians or for english speaking canadians? I mean, the British and Aussies and Americans (there are different accents in the US and its the same country) etc. speak English as a first language and carry an accent. Growing up with other people who speak a certain way, kind of grows on you.

plus, living in Canada, and not travellling far away frequently, you kind of take advantage and forget the fact you have an accent.

or do you mean the aboots and ehs?

6. nioupy

nioupy New Member

i was thinking about french speakers accent, but i meant "origin" more than "reason", cause i guess people didn't decide once to take an accent... It's just in case there's an historic explanation...

when i read that, i just stop and had to think... it's so true... ;)

7. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

i took french from pre kindergarden till 5th grade. school was founded by a french lady so it was required. forgot ever thing exept "oui" "je map'pelle" (or something like that) and "le jardin" (that was the name of the school)

can you translate what this means? please!!! i've been dying to know.

"je ne te pardonnerais jamais tu l'as outblie peute-etre! ce que tu m'as dit ce jour-la.... ton pere est do l'eprouvette au frigorigene.... quelle lache, toi!" or something like that. sorry i couldn't but that line thing over the a and e's.

8. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

weird.. where did you hear this?

all I understand is 'I would never forgive you, maybe you did forget! What you had told me that day.. your Dad is.. (something about testing the strength of the fridge's liquid? hopefully not freon, so 'is' doesn't fit) .. you are such a slacker!"

that's some weird stuff there...

9. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

um.... okay..... but it was in GTO and it's been bugging me for months.

10. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

J'aime les escargot, la antelope, ay (ey? How do you say and?) la musique?

I think that might actually have made sense (but my intuition is usually wrong so ^_^)! Yay for two weeks of French!

11. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

um... you like escargot and antelopes... and music....? wish i listened in french class...

(o^-^o)

12. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I signed up for French 301 without realizing it was a literature class. I could have cried that first day from terror :eek: , but actually it's not that bad. We have to write 3-5 page essays in French though dicussing certain stories.

I ended up taking French because I really wanted to know just what all those guys in France were smiling and laughing about. Some of those shopkeepers were a little scary, not to mention the random people who hit on you. Now, I just have the luck that most of the people on my last visit(one knowing French) spoke to me in perfect English. Though I was able to order my food with out pointing.

13. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I've signed up recently for french classes! If I need any help I'll post here ^_^!
    I'm starting from scratch, french grade 1.

14. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Wow that's great Suzu! Good luck with the language ^__^ I'm sure you won't have many problems.

15. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Merci Merci! J'apprends à dire "Bonjour" et "Enchantee" plus Je sais le numéro en francias.

Please spot the grammatical errors for me :)
    Had to consult my pocket dictionary and check for spelling and verb congigation... in other words I cheated:D ... still learning... :p

16. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Well since I can't exactly ask my French teacher this (well technically I can, it's just a matter of citizenship grades....^_^)

....Anyone know any French cuss words?

XD

Edit: And Arcueid: French is your primary language???? :eek: Well when did you learn to speak English? Heck, you speak it better then me!!

17. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I recieved my first French Assignment. Listening to a conversation and reading! :)

The only word I know is "Zut" which mean "Darn" I think... not really a curse word...

18. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Yes, French is my primary language. I started learning four years ago. When I registered here, my vocabulary was very limited. I improved mostly this year.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment :)

19. sweetasuka

sweetasuka Ahh Ice-Cream!

awww that is so cool, I wish I took french instead of german. I love french, and I think it's really cool that you can speak more then one language. I admire people like that because I don't fully understand german and I stopped after two years to fit in more class's. But hey good job on learning English. Did the forum help you learn at all?

20. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Well, yeah. Meaikoh helped me a lot. Most of it is thanks to her.