Manga "How to Draw Manga" Books

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Cloud, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Anyone else had a read of these? They are quite easy to get and produced by the so-called "Institute for Manga Studies". I managed to miss Art as regards subjects in school, I did Technical Drawing but I found this series of books very easy to follow and my first manga attempts are below (used them as the images on the main page temporarily until we find something better).

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested in learning manga style drawing in their own free time, I'd recommend getting volume 1 of the "How to Draw Manga" series - 3 books in all. I think www.amazon.com has them.

John.
    --

[This message has been edited by Cloud (edited February 09, 2001).]

2. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

A friend of mine has those books, he's getting really good at drawing manga pics now (his project right now is some characters of a BESM game we have going).
    Good books, he was saying something about them being cheaper direct from Viz entertainment actually... haven't looked into it myself, but it might just be because he's buying Eva Manga from there.
    -JavaLamp

------------------
    Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love!
    -Albert Einstein

3. UrashimaKeitaro

BTW:
    Your drawing is a good start, the middle character has an edge as the best one. one to the right needs some perspective work... or maybe just a change in the neck... dunno, I'm not an artist... just an appreciator.
    Keep up the good practice/work!
    -JavaLamp

------------------
    Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love!
    -Albert Einstein

4. YokoburiKinura

I've got the first two volumes and have been working on some character designs. I might post some soon, when I get the hang of scanning and resizing images so they look clean. I might even use one for my avatar. I just wish the translator of the second book had translated the first book [​IMG]

5. YokoburiKinura

OK, I'm ready to post some of my drawings that I drew after reading these books. Obviously these aren't my first attempts at drawing. One is a t-shirt design that I've been working on for my club showing three of our BESM characters. The other is of an NPC that I drew on scratch paper while sitting bored in a class. However, I don't really understand how to post these, as I don't have a website to link to. Can you help me figure out how to post them, Cloud? Should I maybe just e-mail copies to you?

6. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Kewl! Fan-Manga!!

BakaMattSu, who wants to see these pics too!

8. YokoburiKinura

I tried sending the pics to Cloud, but my web-mail account ran into some errors - maybe the pics were too big, though I compressed them to gif's. Right now, I'm looking to get some webspace somewhere, maybe with help from UrashimaKeitaro or another of my friends. Anyway, we should find a way to have them up in a few days.

9. UrashimaKeitaro

---
    Live from New albany, it's... well, I guess it's not.
    ---

I will be helping Kinura post those pics of his as soon as I can deal with my own computer again.

-JavaLamp
    ----------
    Why should I be the one to go through the mirror... what if something happens and I can't come back??

10. YokoburiKinura

OK, we got 'em uploaded after who knows how long. These are pictures of characters from out BESM campaign. The one with three characters I was working on as kind of a t-shirt design for our group. The character in the middle is mine, Yokoburi Kinura, and Urashima's Kyuzo is on the right, Finster's character's on the left. The other picture I drew while sitting bored in a class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kiaikou

Kiaikou New Member

hum I can't wiev them...how sad....was gonne try BESM this weekend...but one of ussaid he was too tired....how lame....

//Aldamel, made a pic for his character too...has no scanner though =(

12. UrashimaKeitaro

Those links are acting wierd... here's a link to the pics-
    Kinura's pics

-Javalamp
    ----------
    and I thought *MY* computer was tempermental

13. Kiaikou

Kiaikou New Member

Quite oke....not really as good as some of my work though [​IMG]

....realy whish I could show some so u un think I'm just braggin...

....now what really is missing is shaing, ...lotsa shading, I have heard that scanners dun really do the pictures justice, so it could be that...

//Aldamel, likin the hair, which he has never even tried to make in an anime way....

14. UrashimaKeitaro

well, I'm not the artist, but if I recall correctly, these are early sketches, I've seen a shaded version of the first one, and yes, it does look much better with shading.

-JavaLamp
    ----------
    Maybe we'll get the artists response soon?

15. Puck

Puck New Member

As far as I know the three books in the "How to Draw Manga" series are "How to Draw Manga: Bishoujo/Pretty Girls", "How to Draw Manga: Bishoujo Around the World" and "How To Draw Manga: Illustrating Battles".

None of these seem to be for the beginner though.

Where do I start?

------------------
    P

16. Kiaikou

Kiaikou New Member

books? ...who uses books to draw? ^_^
    ..not me atleast...some say either u got it or u dun...can't really be thought...I guess that if u have it u can have it more or less...and a book can make it more =)

....I meself has never read any of these books so I do not know how they are...

//Aldamel, also quite sure there are more than 3....

17. Puck

Puck New Member

I can draw but it's been a while and I am new to drawing Manga so I'm still a bit slow. I want to learn the basic technique from the start and concentrate on making my Manga drawing easier and more natural for me. I can draw and I can draw Manga but I'm not sure if my technique is right.

------------------
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited May 14, 2001).]

18. Kiaikou

Kiaikou New Member

Well, to make it manga is fairly simple...u just have to get the big eyes small moths (heh) pointy chin, uhm,...I think that's the word...and the hair should be like one unit not many lines...

..ofcourse there are many different styles, so u can not allways surely say if it is manga or not...me own looks kinda like kishiros in BAA (not as good, but the design...) ..suprised?

//Aldamel, found out a way of scanning, I'll prolly show u some of my work soon =)

19. Puck

Puck New Member

I found an OK drawing tutorial here:
    www.omochabox.com/howtodraw/

[​IMG]

Actually come to think of it there's loads of good tutorials on the web for this sort of thing and we all have enough Manga for inspiration and practice.

I don't suppose anyone wants to buy a How to Draw Manga book?

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited May 15, 2001).]

20. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Wonderful pics to lay eyes on after such a long wait! Congrats on your future manga-nizations (as it were?), Kinura!!

BakaMattSu, can't think of anything to say right here...