Manga "How to Draw Manga" Books

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Cloud, Feb 5, 2001.

1. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Personally, I can't wait to see more come from Kinura, I saw some preliminary manga pages, they're looking pretty cool.

-JavaLamp
    ----------
    who should listen to that screaming voice in his head more often.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I started one about a year ago, but abandoned it...my artistic abilities are pretty lacking, so my two or three pages'll never see the light of a scanner...

BakaMattSu, doesn't sound as menacing as "never see the light of day", does it?

3. UrashimaKeitaro

oddly enough, sometimes I wonder how much professional manga ever sees the light of day, in a literal sense (the actual pages that is. I mean, they get printed, then boxed, then they're shipped to the stores, still in the boxes, where they sit in the store until someone buys 'em and takes them from the store in a bag (still out of sunlight) to be removed from that bag at home (away from the light of day) and read and stored away from sunlight to avoid fading &c...
    and yes, this is just a humorous commentary, with a small basis in reality.

-JavaLamp
    ----------
    goodness... I almost put my real name there...

4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

5. UrashimaKeitaro

Rideonshutensa!! Bwahahahahahahah!
    ok, now that I'm done laughing, that's just a cool name for a site.

-JavaLamp
    ----------
    kanojo wa kyou

6. YokoburiKinura

Thanks, BakaMattSu, for the positive comments. And RideonShutenSa is pretty cool.

I guess Kiaikou's comment about the lack of shading is valid. Those pictures were early drafts of pictures I worked on more later. The first one was meant to be just lineart, and colored on a computer. However, I did do a hand-shaded version. The final hand-shaded drafts should now be up - Urashima will post the link.

7. UrashimaKeitaro

for those of you wanting ot see more of Kinura's work, here's a link:
    More of Kinura's pics!

-JavaLamp
    ----------
    with all the speed and efficiency of a snail, the JavaLamp strikes again!

Edited to fix the link...

[This message has been edited by UrashimaKeitaro (edited May 18, 2001).]

8. YokoburiKinura

And about the book series - there is a series of three produced for the beginner to intermediate levels. I think the titles are 'Compiling Characters', 'Compiling Techniques', and something like 'Compiling Techniques and Practice'. The first goes over designing and drawing characters; it covers building faces and figures on a framework, much like the online tutorials. The second deals with drawing backgrounds, perspective, action lines, and the use of tones for shading. I haven't read the third. Like Kiaikou said, books don't confer talent, but the systems they teach can help refine technique. I've mostly practiced by looking at a still image from a series I watch and drawing what I see. That really helped me get a feel for it, but I found that in my original stuff, my heads seemed too tall and thin; using the sphere layout helped correct that.

9. UrashimaKeitaro

now... if you wanted ot see what books can do for someone with no talent... give me a month or so, and a generous and willing Kinura (for borrowing the books) and I'll show you what a no-talent can do!!

-JavaLamp
    ----------
    Composite art is something else entirely, just ask MamiyaOtaru or YokoburiKinura about my cd labels or signs...

10. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Those Pics are really cool looking Yokoburi same with the RideonShutenSa ones...I have been inspired now to work on some of my own...I may do them in Photoshop though(since I have no scanner), I'm thinking of going Akira Toriyama style.

11. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Whats the best program to colour images in?

12. YokoburiKinura

Well, following one tutorial I found online (I think it's something like www.polykarbon.com), using some of the features in Adobe Photoshop will allow you to get a really clean coloring and do some nice shading effects, but sometimes getting that clean coloring can be a ton of work.

13. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member