Current Affairs Hurricane Rita

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ciel, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

A category 5 yes FIVE Hurricane is expected to hit Texas, here in Ontario, people are going nuts getting gas at the last minute.. yes me too.. my husband blew up at a jerk that cut off the line (and us who just finished) getting gas from the other side of the pump.

Anyways, I hope this doesn't do much damage and everyone gets to safety!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/21/rita/index.html

2. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

And guess what. The hurricane is so close to hitting DeRidder, (the town that I live in) that they're actually canceling after school sports activites until it's gone. Something that I haven't seen happen here in all of the years I've been going to high school!

3. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

thats crazy. one hurricane after another lets hope there aren't any more after this one.

the most rain we got in California was yesterday (tuesday 20th) and that was only for a day and then it was all sunny again.

4. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

Dare I say it... what next?
    One day I will figure out how to stop these huge hurricanes... except I'm going into the wrong field of science. One thing that helps weaken hurricanes... stirring up cold water from the bottom of the gulf. The last hurricane that was aimed towards alabama was didn't grow as large thanks to another hurricane going through the same area weeks before and stirring up the gulf. Of course how people could do that I have no idea. Another idea is to put somesort of water absorbant matterial into the clouds and hope to disrupt it that way... or maybe that is just BS. oh well. I hope you manage all right Eternal-Blaze. I've heard that they are going to evacuate pretty far inland. Severe flooding is expected. Gas prices are going to go up....

5. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Due to Hurricane Katrina, there will be no school in the town of DeRidder today or tomorrow. I guess you all know that this means.

6. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

stopping nature is impossible.

finding sucsessful ways to stop certain effects of hurricanes from occuring would work better.

7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

It will hit early Saturday morning, let's hope it's speed will decrease. Eternal, do you need to evacuate your city?

8. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

An evacuation hasn't been called so I guess we're not going to. We're not gonna be directly hit, but we're gonna feel some of its effects.

9. Dante

Dante New Member

Maybe this time people won't be retarded and decide to stay...

10. Kryshana

Kryshana Dont try to understand me

Yes...Hope you guys over there don't get hit hard! I like near Tampa, Florida, so I'm good. WE know that Katrina hit Louisianna hard and that the people who were greatly affected by it were sent to Houston...and now, Hurricane Rita is headed that direction as well!!! I find that very strange.

-Kryshana

11. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Good luck an' god bless bro, Hopefully all you got was just a little wind and rain and nothing more.

(I quote you with impunity yet again!!)

Hmm, interesting. Gas prices are going up here in California as well, and we don't even get any of our petrol from Texas. Check it

Is it really human nature to use a tradgedy such as a hurricane as an excuse to increase ones own financial gain?

12. BSaphire

BSaphire New Member

Just some thoughts...

I hope that things are ok with you Eternal-Blaze. Now that Rita has passed. I posted some links on my web for Hurricane Katrina, I was thinking about including links for Rita also.

Here is some info some may ponder... If they go thru the alphabet and pull out all these names to name every tropical storm (some turn into hurricanes) for each hurricane season (June 1 thru Nov 30 I believe) then what are all the names and do they pick one name for each letter?

We are at the end of September and in three weeks we went from K to R... we still have two months in the season and it must be extreamly busy to go thru 7 letters in the alphabet with 8 remaining....

In less than a month we have had two of three sides of the US hit with hurricanes.... two were catagory 5 and one a catagory 1. Thankfully the 5's moved quickly, but the one went slowly but both caused extensive flooding.

Just some thoughts... I do hope that all of you anime, manga, gaming, fun loving cosplay friends are ok out there in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Texas, and in the Carolina states. One day I hope to meet some of you at a convention in your state and possibly even take some cosplay photos. Until then I am just happy to meet and talk with you out here....
    Till next time... ^^)

13. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i believe you can go to weather.com (weather channel's site) and find the list there. it shows you the current alphabet of names, darkening the ones that have been used of the current set. yes, it's 1 name for each letter. alternating sex. like, since we've already had a dennis this batch, the next D name will be a girls name. i believe there's been a bunch of hurricane/tsunami activity in the asias too. i'm sure they should have a listing of the hurricanes and where they occured. if not, the net is vast and someone somewhere has that info heh.

14. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Yeah, they alternate naming them guys and girls. One year "A" will be a guy name, the next year it'll be a girls', and so on. I'm not sure if they have any special process for choosing names, except that they tend to "retire" names when a particularly violent hurricane strikes. I'm sure there'll never be another hurricane named "Katrina," for example.

As for how they jumped from K to R in such a short time, well, they record every hurricane, not just those that hit land. Not all do, of course, and some die without ever being made known.

I'm not sure what happens if they get to Z before the end of the season, but my guess would be that they would simply restart from A again. It's the most likely thing to do, I think.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention this. It's a very good thing, Rita was downgraded all the way to Category 3 before it struck, and degraded fairly quickly after. I'd call it a stroke of luck, if nothing else. Still, my condolences go to anyone who lost their homes or possesions over it. All I can really say is that I'm glad the government got moving on it a bit quicker than they did with Katrina. Hopefully the clean-up won't take too long and people will be able to get on with their lives as quickly as possible :)

15. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

16. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Finally! I'm back! Yay!

When the hurricane hit, we went to my step-father's brother's house in Shreveport for a day. Then we decided that we were gonna come back even though the hurricane hadn't gotten out of the path back to our home yet. We went some of the way back home but we stopped at a truck stop to try and wait for it to go over. We were in the eye of the hurricane at that time. After a while we left and went back to DeRidder. Luckily, the big oak tree that's only about 7 feet from our house didn't fall on top of it but the damage was pretty extensive. We set up a fence for privacy recently and all but two sections were blown down. There was a tree in our backyard that we were gonna cut down but we didn't have to because the hurricane snapped it and knocked it down for us. The oak tree in our backyard had so many branches that it created a canopy by itself where no light got in. Now when you look up you see a lot more light than tree. The branches had been blown everywhere. The backyard was covered in branches.

And yet we didn't even get the full force. Just down our street was a tree bigger than the one in our backyard that snapped and that tree was ripped out of the ground! You could see it's roots and everything. We saw more trees like that as we went around the town.

We didn't have power for the first few days that we were here. And it was HOT, too. Luckily we had water. And whenever we wanted to cool off we just took a shower because the water was icy-cold. Well, on Monday we heard that Fort Polk would get power back in 3-5 days so we thought it would be a little bit longer for DeRidder. Then on Tuesday we heard that it would take 3-4 weeks before we would get power. So my step-father spent almost $500 (Money we don't have) on a generator so we could have some power. Then at night we suddenly got power. Sure, I liked how we got power, but what the hell were these people smoking when they told us it would be 3-4 weeks before we got power?!? We spent a lot of money on that generator which we only used for a few hours! We still can't make any money until the businesses get power too! Grr.....

Actually, the power lines are much stronger than people think. It's the poles that break because the power lines were holding up the tree that got ripped out of the ground. As we drove around the town, we saw this one spot where there was a power pole and another half of one tangled in the power cords.

School's been out this whole time so I've been able to do nothing but play games. :D School won't be back until at least Wednesday but that can change. (Hopefully to a later date)

17. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Welcome back. Nice to see you're still safe. Sounds like the Oak tree and your fence got torn up. How about your house? Is that all in order?

18. Reisti Skalchaste

Wow, that's pretty lucky of you, I'd say. I'd be glad you only had to use that generator for a few hours, and now you have it in case of any emergencies, too. Anyway, good luck with the clean-up! :)

You and me both, buddy. ;)

19. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Our house wasn't really affected at all. Hurricanes work in strange ways. Across our street are some trash bags that our neighbors put out and they weren't moved at all. If we would of known we would get power back on that night we wouldn't of gotten a generator. We spent a lot of money we don't have on that and we're not getting any more money until businesses get power so the people can work again.

*sighs*

20. Reisti Skalchaste

Can't really say much to that, eh? Not without sounding callous. You'll manage, I'm sure. Rita could have been a lot worse than it was, but the damage is there. I bet there's no school for you kiddies down there while it's all cleaned up and repaired, eh? :p

Anyway, New Orleans was cleaned up a lot faster than I'd thought it would, it's not near finished, but it's getting liveable again, I'm sure your area will be on the rebound in no time. :)