Music Is anyone here supprised that the majority hates Rap/Hip Hop music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Odango_rose, Oct 17, 2003.

?

Are you supprised?

1. No... not really

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Yes.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. No because it sucks.

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. WTF kind of poll is this?

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Rap is like so influencial ( in the bad way ). I live in NYC and like 90 percent of the people dress the same way. They see some famous guy rocking some shoes and then they want to get it for themselves. Everything the rap guy does the kids want to do it too. Which brings the safety issue about guns. Who needs it..kids or rappers?

2. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I canbelieve it. Mostly because I HATE rap and hip hop. Plain and simple. And pop music is no better.

3. Novus

Novus Gone

Not even Johnny Cash?

I'm not really surprised by the anti-hip-hoppism around here. Most people I know can't stand the stuff. Other than me, I only know maybe two people who actually like more than the latest overplayed c-rap.
    As a genre, rap/hip-hop sets itself up to be disliked in that it has a very limited audience, mostly made up of thugs and posers who want to be thugs. It's really nice for the influences it has had on other genres, though. I mean, otherwise we would have never had bands like Rage Against The Machine (need I remind you of their work with Snoop Dogg?). More so, modern-ish hard-rock-but-not-quite-metal like LIMPBIZKIT or Linkin Park would not exist without hip-hop influences (and indeed two of Limp's best songs are N 2 Gether Now, with Method Man and that one version of Rollin' with all those other guys).

4. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Hip-hop doesn't have a "limited audience," and nor does most other popular music genres. A lot of my classmates listen to only hip-hop and R&B, and they're NOT at all thugs nor posers. They're just regular, everyday people! Then there's my friend Stephanie who is a really nice, almost-motherly, semi-surfer, semi-proper, haole (Caucasian) girl. And she loves Snoop Dog and many other mainstream rappers. That goes to show that you don't have to "into hip-hop" to enjoy rap.

5. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Imagine being in a school where 95 percent of the school is into rap and hip hop. Well thats my life...they all say words like scurred and right thurr. And you wont believe this....There is actually more men that wear earings than women. What the hell is the point of wearing earings anyway.

6. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

They do?? wait wait.. the majority of what? If you mean the majority of old grandpas in white shoes, then yeah..

http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/hot100.jsp wow.. just take a look at that.
    1: Beyonce Featuring Sean Paul
    2: Ludacris Featuring Shawnna
    3: Chingy Featuring Ludacris & Snoop Dogg
    4: Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz Featuring Ying Yang Twins
    6: YoungBloodZ Featuring Lil Jon
    7: Ashanti
    8: Nelly, P. Diddy & Murphy Lee
    10: OutKast Featuring Sleepy Brown

It's a media conspiracy I tell you. (before you ask, no that's not the top 10 R&B charts :D )
    And why do they all "feature" someone?

7. Odango_rose

Odango_rose New Member

I'm sorry if you over looked it, but I was talking about the people at M2A. If I meant the general populas I would have labeled it that way.

^_^

8. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

I myself don't have any like for rap(which is kind of obvious...). The only things rap-like that I listen to is Rage(gotta love the fact their a band...they play instruments) and I like that song by Outkast, Hey Ya. But thats the end of that. In my school, rap has kinda died. There's like, maybe three people in my grade(of like, 200) that listen rap/hip hop. But apperently, everyone else likes rap, cause its all over the bilboards and the radio.

9. Sesshomisao

Sesshomisao Poison Girl

No Im not suprised at all...But I do like Sean Paul's songs...and some other Rap artists...but honistly I cant stand Rap its self....kinda hipocritial hum?

Misao

10. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

ah :) in that case I'm not really surprised and will likely change my vote..

you might consider editing the original post as it's obviously slightly ambiguous

11. Okami

Okami New Member

Critical sheesh

you take words too seriously( hey if they were made not to say then what is the point in having them). Rap is great and its beats were generated from jazz and r&b. And dont tell me that Aerosmith can sing cuz they cant. I dont know whats so sick about rap i mean why are you people so affended by what others say. When i think of rap i think of DMX, Tupac, Notorious BIG, etc. Singing really isnt the perpose of rap and hip hop. What if you sang a DMX song(you would sond really stupid).I mean really what would it sound like if you sang a Gorillaz song i mean really sang it. You would sound like the biggest dooshbag of all time(the gorillaz are classified as rock). Oh and no i am not surprised because most people hate whatever i like be Macs or Bimmers

12. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

They "feature" someone in a song cuz they want to, simple as that. If you were a soloist, sometimes you'd wanna do a song with another artist or band. And it's not just hip-hop artists who do that.

Something to clear up... Sean Paul is not a hip-hop artist! He's classified as Dance Hall, which is a mix of reggae and pop/dance.

Again, people seem to be confused between rap and hip-hop. Rap is what rappers do with their mouth, while hip-hop is the general term which doesn't necessarily include rap. (You can have very good hip-hop songs with NO rapping.)

13. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

The only thing I have against rap/hip-hop these days was already covered by FS: disrepect towards women. It's hard to argue with that when all you hear on the radio these days is "Shake your tail feather...." "..Takin her clothes off..." and that Remix to ignition song. *--
    ..junk like that bothers me. Also, most of them suck at singing.

Sean Paul shouldn't be considered rap- he's more of a raggae style. I must admit I DO like the song "Hey ya" because it's so catchy though!
    Otherwise, all I see from it is horny guys singing about women/girls like TOYS!!! or whatever. MTV discusts me sometimes.
    In the end... I accept a lot of music but mostly I like Dance/Trance/Techno and Japanese. Song writers these days should start thinking of some THOUGHT PROVOKING lyrics and CATCHY tunes- that's all I can say.

14. Okami

Okami New Member

oh yeah i would also like to add that hip hop is very different from rap though it may not seem that way today. Hip hop is more of an expression of feeling. Examples of hip hop artists or groups are: Lauren Hill, K-OS, Black Eyed Peas, and just about all the artists one NBA Street Vol. 1 and 2 except for Nelly. Please dont lump the rap and hip hop together otherwise i will have smite you:mad: :D

15. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Re: Critical sheesh

BZZZT! SPELLED WRONG!

WRONG AGAIN! Not a huge Aerosmith fan, but Steven Tyler can sing, not the best, but he can sing.

16. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

...Rap & hip hop annoy me to no end, but dont take it personally i hate alot of genres :D

17. Okami

Okami New Member

right Mr. Nick i will give the part about aerosmith since i thin they are ok my point still stands rap isnt really meant to sang

and about the DOOSH thing i dont care how you spell it

18. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Jeez, some people don't even take the time to read all the messages in thread before posting (especially when the thread was still short)!

Anyways, aside from repeating again that Sean Paul isn't hip-hop and that rap and hip-hop are different, I'd like to know what kind of music people DO listen to when they say they hate rap and hip-hop. Some people who hate dancing seem to like only Easy Listening or Classical music! Haha! One time, someone sent me an mp3 that was really "good," but it was just a boring love song, no catchy melody, no interesting high notes, no interesting instruments, nothing special! That just goes to show that narrow-minded people really do have different tastes in music. If only more people were eclectic with music, then we'd all be sharing everything. And we'd do away with stereotyping people based on their music.

19. Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry New Member

I'm just not surprised...It's CRAP:confused:

20. neoblacklady

neoblacklady ~*Tpyo Godedses*~

yeah seeing how that has to do with the music and all of hip hop :D
    only thing i am surprised is how this lasted...
    anyways I am not at all. When people start living taht certain way (*****s and what not ) then they sing about it :) There is not one bit of class. They do I have to admit have catchy tunes.. but its pure ****. :( Only the good oldies have class. Wtf happened to the good stuff?