FLCL Is Nothing Sacred?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Blue Crow, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Has anyone else heard this news?The news that Cartoon Network is planning on adding FLCL to it's Adult Swim lineup.I myself haven't seen FLCL(Fooly Cooly or Furi Kuri for those of you that aren't familiar with this name),but I don't want to start with it on the edited Adult Swim.I would like to see it in the way it was meant to be seen.Oh well.I can't do anything about it.But it's only a rumor.I haven't seen anything official from CN yet,so let's cross our fingers.

2. Miko

Miko New Member

i havent seen flcl either, but your right, they should show it the way it was meant to be. to me, adult swim is edited, and toonami is just plain sad. i mean, look what they did to poor yuyu hakusho!

3. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

If you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. You never know, they might concievably do a decent job with it(admitadly, the chance is remote). FLCL is a great anime, this would promote awareness of it, maybe cause people to hunt it down in it's pure state, so I wouldn't be too harsh in knocking it.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'd like a little more confirmation on this, myself.

FLCL in its greatness is a mere 6 episode journey. It doesn't seem viable for CN to re-run it 4 times a month to me...unless they're planning heavy rotation schedules...

And the sheer number of in-jokes and editing that would have to accompany such an acquisition. Seems very farfetched to me.

5. DrunkLeprachaun

If I'm not mistaken(which I might be, I don't have CN), they showed Giant Robo, which is not much longer. They probably wouldn't show it and repeat it every night, they just show it once, then again some time later. I'm just speculating though, and I agree that it would be very hard to convert for the Adult Swim audience.

6. Mao Mo Lin

Mao Mo Lin New Member

they could do the same thing that they did with Blue Sub 6 and do teh special feture thing

7. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Yep.It was confirmed a few minutes ago.I saw a card on AS saying that FLCL starts August 4th at midnight.That's only 11:00 here.Dammit.:(

8. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

With the sheer amount of innuendo alone, I'm surprised that FLCL was even considered (even Adult Swim is pretty tame when I think about it, and doesn't seem to go to extremes on anything like sexual jokes save occasions on Sealab).

And speaking of Sealab, if they can make a whole episode which had a good amount of time dedicated to some guy screaming "I WANT SEX!", they can do unedited FLCL. Geez. It's not THAT bad, folks.

I do see DrunkLeprechaun's earlier point, though, about spreading awareness. FLCL warping the brains of people all over the U.S. who hadn't even heard of it until then in exchange for a little editing might be an okay compromise. ;)

9. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I did hear that is IS coming to Adult Swim. Of course... Adult Swim normally doesn't edit, do they?
    (Edited, because I loved it and bought and saw the whole series! :) )

Actually, they kept some pretty brutal scenes, like when Haruko is digging around in Naota's head (bloody.)

10. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Ditto here, I don't watch it much either. But I've read up on it and found sites that state what they've changed in different series. Apparently, AS edits scenes that they believe to be too violent/brutal even for their target audience; for example, they edited one scene in episode 15 of Trigun where a scene of a man having a revolver held to his head was cut. They edit swearing as well, and still remove blood from a lot of scenes.

Here's a good place to check, and where I looked: Kyle Pope's Edit List

Kyle even quotes concerning FLCL: The territory this show treads covers so many sensitive issues, I'm not sure if CN will try to edit it and tone any of it down or just roll the dice and take their chances.

11. DrunkLeprachaun

I bet they won't even have "WHO IS THIS GIRLY PIECE OF ***?" either...
    femme_fatale, you go in my good books. Go you.

12. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Thanks, I do my best. FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

I can't see how Adult Swim will handle it. There are SO many scenes that would need tweaking... I'd like to see how Cartoon Network would handle that one scene between Kamon and Haruko in episode 4, Full Swing, where he gives Haruko the "electric massage". :p

13. Miko

Miko New Member

probably by cutting the scene altogether

14. otakuotaku

otakuotaku New Member

I don't really agree with the argument that just getting more anime on TV in the US is doing it a service by increasing awareness. The problem is, the edited versions are often so poor compared to the original that people just watch it and say "oh yeah, i thought anime was lame, and now my beliefs have been confirmed."

The best way to get people interested in anime is to have the BEST series that anime has to offer on these stations, in the original forms. Although admittedly, it's very hard just because Americans still think "cartoons are just for kids."

15. Niu-chan

Niu-chan New Member

k guys i'm confused. In Australia we have adult swim and at the moment there's only Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Cowboy Bebop and Gasaraki on. But you guys are going on about how all the adult swim shows are censored in the US, but here they swear, smoke, kill etc in all their anime glory. I don't know if they're edited or not, but it sounds a lot different from the US. Which is weird, coz we get the english versions from the US anyway. So am i watching uncut or hideous "FUNimation-style" hack-job anime?
    ?:glazed: ?

16. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Wow.Your Adult Swim is way cooler than ours.But I don't know about the editing.Censorship issues may be different in your country.But there's this big American tradition that says no matter how "uncut" they claim something is,it will always be edited.You can't say the 2 big cuss words(I think we all know what they are;) ),you can't show too much blood,and you can't show nudity.Even the "uncut" version of Scarface had the really bad cusswords out.Go figure.:confused:

17. Paper

Paper New Member

Ummm I don't know, my friend read at kiji anime that FLCL won the best dub for 200- I forget what year exactly but yeah. And if I remember correctly the purist reviewer there said that uhh it was good and that he was actually okay with the dub... I'm unsure about the information and I'd check it out except the site is down right now -_-; I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Didn't wanna post a post for just a link so I'll just put it here... if anyone's interested, go down to the 'dubbing' part... the adult swim version is already out but still XD
    http://www.kiji-anime.com/main.php?ka=review&animeid=35

18. Niu-chan

Niu-chan New Member

EEEWWWWW then has Neon Genesis Evangelion aired over there because the idea of censors editing that and still producing an comprehendable show cracks me up. lol
    I still don't understand - so that means that there are 3 versions of most animes floating around, the edited dub, the uncut dub and the original.
    But then then again, we do get a lot of censored anime like DBZ as well. What the HFIL is going on with Australian censors??

19. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

No,they don't have the balls to show Evangelion.They showed like 3 episodes of it on Toonami during "Giant Robot Week".They were edited beyond belief if I remember right.That,plus ADV owns the American rights to the TV show,and they won't let any TV network show their shows because of the new Anime Network.

20. Miko

Miko New Member

i gots a stupid question..... whats anime network? ive never heard of it.